Cyclists: How much do you pay for an organized ride?

Options
Do you consider the total cost when signing up for an organized ride or tour? If so, how do you decide if the price is right? I'm having sticker shock over a ride I want to do. It seems too expensive.....buuuuuut it's also been in my bucket list for years.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    No idea. But do it! Life is short you wont be able to forever. Always take the experience ;D As long as you can still pay bills overall lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most of my organised rides are Audax events and the entrance price is really low and dwarfed by costs of getting to/from the event so total cost and time invested are the major factors.

For example £16 entry fee for a 125 mile event but free food provided at the start (snacks, drinks), elevenses (bacon & egg rolls & drinks), lunch (pasta, salads, puddings etc. etc), afternoon tea of home cooked cakes and tea (while sitting on a cricket pitch....). Ridiculously good value for a whole day's entertainment.

Or just £7 for a Century event but there's snacks at the start and a meal at the end (voluntary contribution though).

Value depends on the route, the challenge, the scenery, the company and how far I'm having to travel from home - cost of an overnight hotel ramps it up enormously of course.

My bucket list includes overseas events (this year will be my first) but they are going to be very special memories and experiences, not really something I can hang a price on.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Life is too short, sign up and check off your bucket list. Use it as a Christmas or birthday gift.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @sijomial what's your first overseas choice?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @sijomial what's your first overseas choice?

Either France (there's a lot of organised London -> Paris events with various formats/duration/distances) or Spain. Majorca or Tenerife are current favourites but would probably do that solo or with a friend rather than an event.

I was on holiday near epic roads around Mt Teide in Tenerife at the end of last year but no bike hire shops nearby - rats!
    Very frustrating but it was a family holiday anyway so it would have been a trifle selfish and abusing my wife's patience and support with my time consuming hobby.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    Cool! I think we all struggle feeding our passion to ride and meeting family needs. Everytime I'm in a car, especially in vacation, I stare at the side of the road with longing!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I ride a few century events over the year and entry fees have gone up considerably. The ones I do are anywhere from $60 to $100. The rides are well-supported and a large part of the proceeds goes back into the community. The most expensive one I've signed up for this year ($90) is the Wine Country Century in the wine country which is a favorite. Some of the route goes through the devestration caused by the fires last year - it will be sad but the profits will help rebuild what was destroyed. They're also selling a jersey with a picture of a phoenix that says "Rising from the Ashes". I never buy event jerseys but, well, how could you not :)

edited because I got the wrong century name in there
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Cool! I think we all struggle feeding our passion to ride and meeting family needs. Everytime I'm in a car, especially in vacation, I stare at the side of the road with longing!

Oh yes, I start calculating the grade and working out in my head how hard it would be to ride up...
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is offered. I pay around $300 for a 3 day ride that includes farm to table lunches, entertainment at nights, camping, and gear support. Totally worth it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Depends. Audax rides are inexpensive but others are more.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Depends - closed or open course; pace groups or on your own; SAG or self supported etc
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @denversillygoose which ride is that? It sounds awesome!