Are sweet potatoes considered a vegetable serving?

Options
I hope so because I didn't feel like cooking a lot of veggies tonight and felt like a sweet potato instead...according to the reports I got in a lot of fiber (52g in total) because of it so I am satisfied but lots of people say stay away from potatoes because they're starchy vegetables but I like sweet potatoes and I think they actually are helping my satiety and weight loss...white potatoes not so much.

Replies

• okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Potatoes, both regular and sweet potatoes are nutritional power houses...there's nothing wrong with starch or starchy vegetables...they are whole foods...it's just that carbs are currently the latest and greatest of the dietary demons...for absolutely no reason I might add...

potatoes in particular sadly, ITs the deep frying butter coating sour cream and bacon topping people who ruin potatoes for us all. Potatoes are a near perfect food by themselves. All kinds

And cheese...don't forget the cheese lol
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Potatoes, both regular and sweet potatoes are nutritional power houses...there's nothing wrong with starch or starchy vegetables...they are whole foods...it's just that carbs are currently the latest and greatest of the dietary demons...for absolutely no reason I might add...

potatoes in particular sadly, ITs the deep frying butter coating sour cream and bacon topping people who ruin potatoes for us all. Potatoes are a near perfect food by themselves. All kinds

And cheese...don't forget the cheese lol

yum though. Also curious why wouldnt a potato be a vegetable serving? I believe im going to go make sweet potato toast now. Thanks for that craving lol
  • 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon sprinkled on them.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon sprinkled on them.

mmmm also amazing with a drizzle of maple syrup .... -drools-
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are nothing wrong with eating sweet potato, but I would think it more like a replacement for bread and pasta than vegetables

This is how I think of it. I think tubers are wonderful, but would not use them as my vegetable course, but instead of grains (rice, oats, pasta, etc.). I would not have them in place of/as substitute for non starchy veg, at least not on a regular basis. I'd have both.

In other words, technically they are a vegetable, but culinarily and nutritionally I consider them a starch.

OP, regarding fiber, I don't get how you would get 52 g of fiber from them (which would be an enormous amount). USDA says they have about 3 g of fiber (and 86 calories) in 100 g. But I would agree they are nutritious and would not avoid them!

This will probably seem silly. I do not really consider regular potatoes as a veggie. Because of the beta carotene, I do consider sweet potatoes a veggie. Yep I realize that doesn't really make sense.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I eat them as starch, not vegetables.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There are nothing wrong with eating sweet potato, but I would think it more like a replacement for bread and pasta than vegetables

OP, regarding fiber, I don't get how you would get 52 g of fiber from them (which would be an enormous amount). USDA says they have about 3 g of fiber (and 86 calories) in 100 g. But I would agree they are nutritious and would not avoid them!

I agree about the fiber. No way a sweet potato has 52g of fiber (unless it's the size of a watermelon). There are about 5-6g/cup. For most people, 52g of fiber would cause some stomach/bowel distress since most aren't used to that much fiber (especially from one meal).
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I eat low carb paleo, and I'm having baked sweet potato fries as part of my post workout snack. I love them! They are vegetables, but I count them as starches.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's a vegetable so I don't see any reason not to count it as a serving.

The USDA and the NHS counts them
    https://www.choosemyplate.gov/vegetable-group-food-gallery
    https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Whatcounts.aspx
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Canada food guide classes all potatoes as a vegetable. I count them as my starch.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a vegetable. I consider all potatoes vegetables.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I count potatoes (and other starchy vegetables like corn, peas, parsnips etc) as vegetables. For a start, they are botanically vegetables. Secondly, their nutrients are more similar to other vegetables than to other starchy things like bread. Thirdly, I try to eat plenty of vegetables in a wide range of colours (starchy and non starchy) which is the thing I think is important unless you need or want to count carbs.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's a vegetable and according to my dictionary "a plant or part of a plant used as food, typically as accompaniment to meat or fish, such as a cabbage, potato, carrot, or bean' . I view them as both starch and veggie.