Goal vs. Net Help

Options
I had a question concerning the original goal for calories vs the net. My goal is 1560 calories a day, but my net has been anywhere from 150 to 300 depending on my exercise. Someone posted that your net needs to be over 1200 to prevent starvation, but that seems like far too many calories for me. I try to eat my 1560 goal or less, so long as its above 1200, but that is before exercise is factored in.

For instance, i burned 1030 calories today, but ate about 1300. So my net is around 130 calories. According to the advice ive seen, i would need ANOTHER 1100 calories? That is incorrect, right?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Well thats what they say :p

But are you looking to burn a load of muscle along with your fat? Sadly that will happen if your net is too low D: I try to keep my net at 1100-900 at least :]
  • rmjj5
    rmjj5 Posts: 55
    Options
    bump...i too am a little confused by the net calories
  • acmcoc
    acmcoc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    most people will tell you that you should eat them back. I don't always eat them and there are days when my net is below 1200. I seem to be doing okay.....
  • shassen
    shassen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    that calorie goal is a recommendation if you were to not do any physical activity at all during the day.. aka just go along living. If you are working out, that just means you get to eat more during the day. You don't want to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories a day or else your going to lose muscle tone along with the fat your losing. Also, when your deficit of caories is too high, your body will hold onto the fat stores because its not sure if it will be getting enough food to survive. Losing fat is a long and tedious process. If you want to lose strictly fat and retain all of your muscle, depending on how much you weigh, keep your deficit at 500 to 1000 calories a day. Otherwise when you "cheat" you will gain all of the weight you lost back because your body will store all of it because its afraid it wont get enough food again anytime soon. Does that make sense?
  • pambaldwin
    Options
    Your 1560 calories per day includes the 1200 calories that you need just to have your body function normally. You should not go under that or you could put your body into starvation mode. If you exercise off 1,000 calories then that gets added to your calorie goal. So you are allowed to eat 2560 calories for the day. I would follow the calories that you have left to see if you are under or over your goal for the day. It is easier to understand in the food tab. The net calories on the home page is calories eaten minus calories expended by exercise. Compare that to your goal calories to see if you are under or over goal which they tell you with calories remaining at the top.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    that calorie goal is a recommendation if you were to not do any physical activity at all during the day.. aka just go along living. If you are working out, that just means you get to eat more during the day. You don't want to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories a day or else your going to lose muscle tone along with the fat your losing. Also, when your deficit of caories is too high, your body will hold onto the fat stores because its not sure if it will be getting enough food to survive. Losing fat is a long and tedious process. If you want to lose strictly fat and retain all of your muscle, depending on how much you weigh, keep your deficit at 500 to 1000 calories a day. Otherwise when you "cheat" you will gain all of the weight you lost back because your body will store all of it because its afraid it wont get enough food again anytime soon. Does that make sense?

yus. listen to him :D