Clothes!

Options
Ok....so I am now down a size...I have dropped 2 sizes since May (I do not complain about this)...however I am too broke half the time to continually buy new clothes. I can still "fit" into my other size...it does look baggy though. What do you do when you go down a size? Do you continually buy new clothes or do you wear your baggy ones for a little while? I am still not where I want to be and I am hoping to go down at least another size. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    dont buy new ones for now, except from maybe op shops or ask your family and friends if they have any old clothes your current size
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did the thrift store shopping ( goodwill, Salvation Army or garage sales ) that way I could still get stuff that fit but at a way cheaper price!! Congrats on dropping 2 sizes!!!
  • adriannz
    adriannz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you have any brooches? Or is there an antique store nearby where you can get some cheaply? I have some of my grandmother's and great-greatgrandmother's brooches and I put them to use on my shirts. I either pin then in front or in back - something to gather together the material and make it look less baggy and more stylish.

Thrift store shopping is also great!
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I still wear the baggy stuff if it isn't TOO baggy... and I went to goodwill so I could at least have one pair of shorts that fit... and my mom gave me a few things. That mixture has worked out well for me so far. I didn't want to buy a bunch of new clothes yet because I still want to drop another size. Then let the shopping begin! :)
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    When I lost a significant amount of weight before having 2 kids I would wear clothes until they were nearly falling off. I would randomly buy items that I found on clearance from time to time as well.
  • travishein
    Options
    I go to a local thrift store. for me, value village. or sometimes low price new stores like winners. and i budget my clothes sprees. like only one shirt or one pants per month.

and i do a bump out effect. for every new thing i buy i out some older baggy thing. so i maintain the same number of clothes in stock, and return back to the pool of clothes so others can get at the used clothes stores. I dunno. as a tall guy I find it hard to find the clothes that fit me. happy to do my part to help outhers out .

sure, when i reach my goal im gonna go all out. but even then probably just walmart clothes even. I have no good fashion sense I guess, just go for clean simple looking clothes.

i know, a guy . what does he know about clothes right. i do find a crazy new happiness to shopping now that i can buy MEDIUM size shirts. i mean, no XXXL or XXL or XL or even L. just this excites me. I think "new shirt a month" is a good small motivator to keep me happy. especially when its like $4 to $9 anyway. Like that's as much a a starbuck's coffee right.

so surely you can find some kind of lower budget interim clothes that makes you look good for now and gives you that making progress happy feeling too.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also did the thrift store shopping for a long time!
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    check out this website www.freecycle.org...join the group for your local city and place a want ad for clothe size(__). its a great site and its all free its all about passing your unwanted items to others who can use them and keeping things out of the landfill.. i've gotten clothes for my entire family, furniture for both my kids, my daughters tv, dining table, large office desk all the way to a beautiful Wurlitzer piano ALL FREE!! and have passed along a lot of my own unwanted items. Good luck!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i am still wearing size 20's when I am actually in a 14 or 16 (depending on who makes it) because i refuse to go buy new clothes until I lose this last 18 lbs

i did buy a summer dress today for pictures tomorrow
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Try a second hand shop, or maybe Dots if you have one nearby. I got a pair of work pants there for $12! In fact I think I will be going there soon....I have the opposite problem, I gained weight back, and all of my pants are starting to fall apart. I don't want to buy new pants since I don't plan on staying at this weight, so I'll stock up on a few pair from Dots.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am down 4 sizes but I am addicted to shopping so I have purchased more than I probably should since I have about 2 more sizes to lose. Right now I have 2 bags of WAY too big clothes but the ones that kinda fit I have been drying so they fit better! I am a teacher and work starts for me soon so I told myself I wouldn't buy anything else until I dropped 50 lbs!