Mid 30’s & I feel like crap & I eat like crap

Options
Subtitle makes a long story short.. mid 30’s and now all of those times when I could “eat what ever and how ever” I wanted have now slowly caught up.. I recently bought Herballife shakes and tea which I’m hoping can help get me on a much more healthy routine.., I’m ready to get rid of heartburn, being over weight, having low energy, depression, anxiety, and chronic insomnia...

Replies

• charliep1970
    charliep1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree. The word diet and all diet products should be banned! It has to be a change of lifestyle. Fundamentally, we all know what to do - eat less and better and move more. But I know that is simplistic- one (small!) step at a time & you'll get there.
    I'm just starting out too - one week in, gym or running every day, much better food & focused. Very slight change on the scales, maybe a pound (need to get new scales, ours are rubbish!) but I fell better already.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat better, you have to eat, not drink shakes. I'm sorry but I don't think it's going to get you where you want to go. Better to log your foods, take a look at what you're eating, and slowly make improvements. This is much better long term.
  • Hazeleyes91817
    Hazeleyes91817 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do it! Just know things take time and there is no instant cure. I was in the same situation as you then one day something clicked and I went from a size 22 to an 8. Then I started to relax and gained some back... now I am at it again but smarter.
    I give myself only one goal a week such as
    Week 1- enter all foods you eat for the week in MFP(don’t worry what you are eating or how many calories just enter everything in)
    week 2
    Exercise/motion
    - if you have a Fitbit try to achieve 10000 steps in a day
    - Week 3
    - Eat at the same time every day (make sure to eat 3 Meals and 1-2 snacks a day.)
    with each goal they will become a habit and this will change your lifestyle.
    I hope this helps... if you want more motivation or accountability you can send me a friend request. All the best to you!
  • mickjam42
    mickjam42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great documentary on Netflix, Betting on Zero, that looks at Herbalife. It does work for some no doubt, but in any drug trial the placebo works for upwards of 25% of trial patients. The degree of causality between Herbalife and weight loss is difficult to establish
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    have you tried apple cider vinegar for the heartburn? i used to get bad heartburn til i tried the apple cider vinegar. i tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of honey mixed in a small amount of water in the evening for however many days you want (up to two weeks)
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    also have you tried melatonin for sleep? it helps me a lot 6mg at bedtime and in 15 minutes or so i am usually asleep for at least a few hours if not more. i think it helps you lose weight too. it supposedly helps your body convert white fat into brown fat which helps with weight loss.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Like a few others, I was in your shoes until 5 months ago when I had enough of feeling terrible. Small steps, one at a time, is what worked for me:
    -Walking 3-5 days a week
    - Tracking food accurately and honestly
    - Water
    - Learning how to prep weekly for clean eating.

One week at a time the changes added up - I feel much better.

You've got this! Just one step at a time.
  • LynzLovesCheese
    LynzLovesCheese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    KowgirlKW wrote: »
    Subtitle makes a long story short.. mid 30’s and now all of those times when I could “eat what ever and how ever” I wanted have now slowly caught up.. I recently bought Herballife shakes and tea which I’m hoping can help get me on a much more healthy routine.., I’m ready to get rid of heartburn, being over weight, having low energy, depression, anxiety, and chronic insomnia...

Same boat... just turned 35 back in December, and just tired of feeling and looking like poo... I've been trying to track my foods for a while now (3.5 years to be exact) clean eating, drinking plenty of water, lots of exercise, all that good stuff... but apparently this past holiday season did a number on me, and I am not the heaviest I have been in a LONG time. So depressing. Started using MFP about 10 days ago... I weigh in every Saturday morning... this past Saturday I come to realize I gained 2 more pounds!! BUT... I am going to keep going, keep tracking, keep trying... I mean I seriously cannot gain any more weight!! I can barely fit into my leggings anymore? :( Sorry about my rant... but I totally get where you are coming from!! Good luck, and I hope you reach your goals!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Here's your step to feeling better!
    Make a full plan
    "Add before deleting" . Many jump in full bore and it's such a change it's hard and then they give up.
    Add In Some healthier foods. Add a fruit and vegetable each day for a week... now you're used to that... now look at one of your most "processed meals" look at changing that.
    Get your mind into the game.
    You can do this! One step at a time.
    You have MANY years ahead -- time to kick the behind of those 30's and change to a healthier life.