Quit smoking

Options
Hey there!

Have any of you quit smoking and lost weight at the same time? I want to loose weight and be healthy (exercise). With that I feel I need to quit smoking too. If you have quit, what method did you use and did you wait until you hit your goal weight or do it at the same time? Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• TamraMarie93
    TamraMarie93 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup I quit 3 weeks ago. I stalled those weeks in spite of being diligent with food tracking but this morning I dropped 2.5 lbs so the stall has ended. It may have been cortisol related, who knows. But it's definitely worth it to quit.

During the 1st week I used intermittent fasting to help me (I was in an "eat a meal then have a smoke" pattern and it helped break up the association). I don't usually do IF though. But I found it really helped me up my water intake which probably helps with detoxing from all those addictive chemicals.

Good luck!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I quit at the end of November, I havent actually lost any weight since then but within the past week I really started being diligent with tracking again.

I just woke up one day and quit, I know its not that easy normally but I just set my mind too it. At the point that I quit I had already lost 50 pounds, Im hoping to lose at least another 20 to get to a healthy BMI and then another 20 from there. According to my weight trending app my weight is finally going back down instead of maintaining so we will see!
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I quit in August using the patch for a week or so until I would forget to put in on. I tried tracking calories at the same time but found it too much change at once. About three months later (after I stopped looking at people smoking with longing) I was ready to start watching calories but it took me another month to get back on MFP and start logging daily. I would say it is possible to lose weight and stop smoking at the same time but so much change at once does make it more difficult. So I would prioritize not smoking first and then calorie counting however long it takes you.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Please do quit! I have never smoked, but I know friends who have quit said that the patches helped as did the gum because it gave their mouth something to do.
  • dbanks1
    dbanks1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will update on my quit date :)
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I quit 18 days ago (Jan 1st). First week my goal was just to maintain- then I went back on my plan and it's going fine. I don't go to a gym but do walk about 3 miles 4-5 days a week which helps with weight and the stress of quitting. I also bought a big bag of really yummy organic lollipops. Keeps my mouth busy, they taste yummy, and only 74 calories for 3 of them. I am using nicotine gum (fruit chill) to help me wean off the nicotine but I'm finding I really don't need to much of it. This is all definitely doable- don't let potential weight gain stop you. I think already being in the lose weight eating mindset for many months has made it much easier to stick with it. Also, if you don't know about it- "Quitnet" is a great online resource to get support with your quit.
  • desyhollander1
    desyhollander1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! How are you doing on the quitting smoking thing? I'm also getting ready to quit, i'm right now reading a book that is similar to Allan Carr's book about quitting. However, as i'm very happy with my body the way it is, i'm afraid of gaining weight. Have you already experienced any weight gain?
  • dbanks1
    dbanks1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have started vaping now instead of smoking cigarettes. I think it has helped me not to snack so much. I haven't lost but I haven't gained either (which is good). I still crave real cigarettes. I'm not sure when that urge will go away. Let me know how your quit goes !
  • desyhollander
    desyhollander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh you are doing very well congrats! From earlier quits I remember the cravings got less after one week, exactly when I then thought what harm could one cigarette do? Well, a lot as I know now haha. Still haven’t quit and still haven’t finished my book. I am right now getting back into the tracking calories and working out regularly, I think this will help me when I quit. I will update you on my quitting date! You keep going, it will get better from now on!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I've purchased two vapes and they actually made things worse for me. I was vaping ALL THE TIME and craving that. I eventually ended up going back to cigarettes to quit the vape haha. Used gum for about 6 months last year and that didn't help - started craving the gum and couldn't quit. That's when I bought the second vape.

Read Allen Carr's "Easy Way" book and have been cigarette free for 13 days, 16 hrs, 40 min.
  • desyhollander
    desyhollander Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh and as my book states so clearly: when feeling uncomfortable and craving a cigarette, don’t tell yourself that you’re not allowed to smoke but instead of that, rather remind yourself of the fact that you conciously made the decision to be free from this addiction and that that’s exactly what you are, free. -really not in the positition to say this, obviously, but just wanted to share-
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I tried the vaping too, did not work for me. I quit for 6 months on Chantix, but damn I was a B**** and the nightmares, OMG.... I tried the gum, disgusting.....I'm seriously thinking about going back to my Chiropractor and see if acupuncture would help. Must quit smoking!!!!
  • stk_pkr
    stk_pkr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    After having both parents, an uncle and my grandfather all die from smoking related cancers, watching my mother and brother die from respiratory diseases and having an oncologist tell me he had the tobacco companies to thank for his business - I finally got the will to quit.

I chewed Nicorette when it first came out 20 years ago. Chewed 2x as much as they said and did it for 2x as long as they recommended but I was able to quit and have been tobacco free ever since. It was very hard.

We all only have so much will power - I think you should be realistic in your goals - stop smoking, get tobacco free and then go after losing some weight. Having done both, I can assure you losing weight is a piece of cake :wink: