Eating at a Mexican Restaurant tonight. What's your low cal go to?

Options
I LOVE pollo fundido, ACP, quesadillas, their fried wings, and even cheese fries! Not happening for a while though! I'm thinking a chicken taco salad, minus the bowl, beans and cheese. Oh, and add pico de gallo! I MUST stay away from chips and salsa! What are your favorites?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Tacos. Usually about three of them. No beans, no rice.

I can't moderate 'table chips' so unless I'm intentionally going over my calories, I avoid them.
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just had a mexi-cobb salad...it was amazing! I would say a salad but with vinaigrette dressing
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Deep-fried chimichanga with a side of beans and rice, and a couple of very large cervezas.

qyznuv0cgqto.jpg
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get the chicken fajitas too...no beans and no rice. I also don’t use the wraps.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fajitas person as I don't care for onions or peppers, but I often get pork carnitas or chile colorado, with the tortillas on the side, and rice & beans. I eat maybe one of the small tortillas but otherwise mix the other items like a rice bowl from Chipotle. We get one basket of chips for my family but my kids go to town - I usually end up with about 1 serving of chips (typically 10 or so) - and then we don't refill it. I get a corona light instead of a margarita which can be a calorie bomb.

Usually ends up being 700-800 calories when I log it - it's an estimate but we eat Mexican a couple times a month and it's never been an issue with derailing my progress.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I assume you don’t go often so just enjoy yourself and get on track tomorrow.
  • jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a blackened chicken fajita fan. How bad can that be?
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fahita's without the shells. No sides.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Nah, eat the beans - fiber! I love a tostada. While I was losing, I went out for a tostada, rice and beans (and counted chips and ate the salsa) every couple of weeks. Drink tea and maybe a lot of water cause of the sodium. Enjoy!
    P.S. I lost over 70# and have kept them off for over 2 years!

Carnitas is another yummy food. Forget the tortillas, eat the avocados and other veggies.
  • melissaaporter
    melissaaporter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Ceviche! I can eat a lot and it is delicious!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If I am going have Mexican, I am saving calories for rice and beans to go with fajitas or hard shell tacos. Mex is my fav.
  • amyliz00226
    amyliz00226 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tacos. Usually about three of them. No beans, no rice.

I can't moderate 'table chips' so unless I'm intentionally going over my calories, I avoid them.

I know the feeling on the chips! I do love chicken tacos!
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I get the chicken fajitas and eat with a fork and don't eat the tortillas. Try and limit the beans, rice and chips/salsa.

I can definitely go without the rice and beans! Great idea on the fajitas!
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm not a big fajitas person as I don't care for onions or peppers, but I often get pork carnitas or chile colorado, with the tortillas on the side, and rice & beans. I eat maybe one of the small tortillas but otherwise mix the other items like a rice bowl from Chipotle. We get one basket of chips for my family but my kids go to town - I usually end up with about 1 serving of chips (typically 10 or so) - and then we don't refill it. I get a corona light instead of a margarita which can be a calorie bomb.

Usually ends up being 700-800 calories when I log it - it's an estimate but we eat Mexican a couple times a month and it's never been an issue with derailing my progress.

I eat it every week
  • Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    3 street tacos, either chicken or carnitas. Soft corn tortillas. These tacos are usually just meat, salsa, and cilantro, onion. Sometimes I'll get guacamole too, and just budget for the calories.

I agree about skipping the rice and beans. Yes, the beans have fiber, but you rack up the calories very quickly by eating those two things.
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    I assume you don’t go often so just enjoy yourself and get on track tomorrow.

Oh I eat it every week! Just typically not healthy. Lol
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    mk2fit wrote: »
    Nah, eat the beans - fiber! I love a tostada. While I was losing, I went out for a tostada, rice and beans (and counted chips and ate the salsa) every couple of weeks. Drink tea and maybe a lot of water cause of the sodium. Enjoy!
    P.S. I lost over 70# and have kept them off for over 2 years!

Carnitas is another yummy food. Forget the tortillas, eat the avocados and other veggies.

Wow! That's awesome!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    A Mexican shrimp cocktail with lots of celery and onions! Great on a hot day!
    Bean tostada piled high with lettuce and I bring french dressing from home and drizzle it on. So good!
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What did you end up getting? :D