Exercising through Cold and Flu

Options
Any advise on how to exercise through major cold/flu?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    concentrate on getting better
    eat at maintenance to allow your body to fight infection
    don't go to the gym
    general rule of thumb - if it's above the neck it's okay to run, if below the neck, rest

If you cold/flu is that major, do you really FEEL up to exercising?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You don't...you rest and let your body recover. Exercise is just going to be added stress on a body that is working hard to recover and fight off the illness. Common sense...

And definitely stay out of the gym and other public venues...don't spread that *kitten* around...
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine even having the energy to get out of bed if you have the flu, much less exercising. A cold is different. If it's just a head cold, you can still work out if you feel up to it. Flu, I would give it a week or two to get better before exercising again.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    A walk in the fresh air wrapped up well against the weather usually helps me feel a little better rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself.

But I third the above - stay out of the gym, noone else needs your germs and second eating at maintenance to help yourself recover.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If my energy is zapped from being sick I don't workout, I let my body rest, if my energy is fine, I workout.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Don't.

Allow yourself time to get healthy. You're not doing yourself any favors and will likely prolong the illness.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I dial down the intensity, for example, by walking outside instead of hitting the gym.
    Recently (during a month long chest virus) when I felt better and was sure I wasn't contagious, I'd go attempt my normal work out. If I was zapped the next day, I'd dial it back or completely rest for a few more days until I felt well enough to try again.
    Like others have said though, don't put added stress on your body when you are feeling obviously unwell.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    A cold and a flu are two very different things. If it's a cold and you feel up to it, you could try some light exercises. It is a flu, no, just let your body relax and recover.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If it's the flu- don't work out. Rest and take care of your self! I work out when I have a head cold. Depending on how bad it is, I adjust my routine and don't push too hard. As long as I'm not coughing sneezing all over the place I will still go to the gym, but I make sure to keep Kleenex with me and wipe down anything that I touch.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dont. let your body heal.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If it's the actual flu or a severe cold, rest your body, get lots of liquids, and stay away from other people if at all possible - developing pneumonia, bronchitis, or other related complications will only prolong the time you're down and out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Rest.
    Then when you feel better, go for a nice walk.

Stay OUT of gyms until you're sure you're not contagious.