Does it matter?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight. To do this, I am aiming to eat between 1400-1500 calories per day.

I aim for:

Lunch - 300 calories
PM Snack - 100 calories
Dinner - 600 calories
Evening Snack - 100 calories
Drinks - 300 calories (I drink a lot of tea with semi-skimmed milk and 1 sugar - the sugar I am trying to cut back on)

I KNOW I'M SUPPOSED TO HAVE BREAKFAST - but it genuinely makes me feel sick eating within 3 hours of waking up, and I'd rather put those calories towards my evening meal so I don't go to bed hungry...

Which leads me to my question....

Does it matter that I have such a large portion of my calories in my evening meal as long as the days total calories falls within my target??

Thanks.

Replies

• jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You do not need breakfast. It is a matter of choice.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No. I do the same thing.

You're not "supposed to" have breakfast. That is media diet hype.

Eat when you are hungry. Stay within your calorie allowance. That's it. That's all. No other rules required.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Do what works for your lifestyle and preferences.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter. When I was losing weight, I had light breakfast and lunch because I prefer a big dinner. Sometime I would have as much as 1,000-1,100 calories at night. As long as I was in an overall deficit, I lost weight.

Also, you don't have to have breakfast. It's completely optional for weight loss.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want to eat. I regularly skip breakfast or just have a cup of coffee so I can have more calories later in the day. I've lost over 50lbs... do what works for you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Do what works for your lifestyle and preferences.

Yup.
  • MadCatLady302
    MadCatLady302 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's all I needed to know. :smiley:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the first meal of the day. You can have yours whenever you want. An earlier cutoff for eating will most likely make you want to eat breakfast earlier too. An earlier dinner shouldn't make you go to bed hungry if you eat all your calories. So it doesn't matter, it's up to preference and habit.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I skipped it regularly, and lost a lot!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The breakfast thing is all marketing and no science.

You can break your fast whenever you like eating any food you choose.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat breakfast for the vast majority of my life, both when I was overweight and not overweight. I also was not hungry and eating breakfast would often make me feel ill. Skipping breakfast had absolutely zero impact on my weight loss and my health. Like you and other posters, I also preferred to eat the majority of my calories later for dinner, which I generally enjoy way more than breakfast. Eating late also had zero impact on my weight loss.

FWIW, I do eat a very small breakfast now, but for reasons completely unrelated to weight loss or maintenance. I am sad that I lose some of my dinner calories though. :(
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite pieces of trivia about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. I don't know which of these words are going to be hit by the kitten filter, so I hope this is legible. The idea was started by one of the Kellogg brothers -- you know, the cornflake guys. Dr. Kellogg believed that meat, spicy foods, and basically anything with flavor caused sexual desires. So he developed the most bland, basic, tasteless, sugarless food on Earth: cornflakes. He fed them to his patients at the sanitarium where he worked and he marketed them to working people to try and decrease the amount of people touching themselves in the world. He believed that breakfast was the most important meal of the day because a bland, tasteless breakfast would set people up to have a more "moral" day and cut down on the amount of *kitten* in the workplace. Cornflakes didn't take off and his brother eventually split off and added sugar to the recipe, selling them as bran flakes. But the marketing of breakfast as the most important meal stuck, we've just changed the how and why to fit the culture every decade or so.

The brother added sugar and it's BRAN flakes and not FROSTED flakes???
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast as I'd prefer to save my calories for later in the day when I'm actually hungry.
    Snap on the milky tea, i use over 200 calories on the milk i add to my tea every day. I used to have 3tsps of sugar in each cup :open_mouth: But i slowly tapered down, and don't add any anymore.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont usually eat breakfast. if im hungry i will, but normally ... no.