anyone trying the agave sweetener?

Options
I saw it in wal-mart when we were going grocery shopping so of course my MIL says "oh, I have some of that, I'll bring it to you". So here it is, in my cupboard and I pretty much know nothing about it. I tasted it and it is actually pretty sweet but I'm wondering if anyone has actually cooked with it or put it in drinks.

Is it really supposed to be better than sugar?

Replies

• JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have some and use it in hot teas, cereal, and oatmeal. I don't cook with it. It has a little of a nutty flavor to me.

If I remember correctly, it is made from the same plant as tequilla.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    omg I love it. It is my crack. I love it in unsweetend almond milk, coffee, greek yogurt...

I'm glad you mentioned it, because that's what I want right now. Almond milk and agave. :)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i think i might have to try this? i can't get over the ever-present feeling of guilt i have from using truvia all the time...
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually read this article, mainly because I have no interest in sugar subsitutes. BUT this is a website written by two dieticians so I completely trust their opinions. Give this a read, hopefully it helps you!

http://www.appforhealth.com/2011/08/agave-not-so-sweet-afterall/
  • Sbottoms
    Options
    Yes, it is wonderful. I use it in my oatmeal and Greek yogurt and it is just what you need to sweeten it up a bit. Be careful though, you really don't need to use a lot.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that uses it for EVERYTHING. I spent the night at her house last week and had dinner, dessert, mixed alcoholic beverages, and breakfast. I know for certain she used it in everything but dinner. I didn't notice any particular difference, and she didn't specifically measure it. She used it in more of a "to taste" way. She also keeps some at work for tea and such.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I love it! It's amazing in everything!
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    I love it. I have it with my yogurt in the morning. It's yummy!
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia, but I want to try agave, were in walmart did you find it?
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's awesome and I use to use it like maple syrup. It's controversial though. :huh: I use to work in a natural food store and we were all about it but then something came out saying it's not as good as it was thought to be. I'm not sure! I use it in baking instead of sugar. I guess it has to be better than splenda is for you but sugar is sugar no matter how you look at it. :sad:
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I have heard of it and wondered about it... up till now I've been too lazy to do any research on it, but I just googled it and found that yes it is a very controversial item. I think after what I have read about it... I'll steer clear of it and stick with regular sugar or maybe try Stevia (that's the next one I need to google. But here's a link I found on the Agave: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/agave-this-sweetener-is-f_b_537936.html

Hope this helps you out some.
    :)
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia, but I want to try agave, were in walmart did you find it?

it's in the aisle with the sugar, seasonings, and flour and stuff. Pretty much the baking aisle, I guess.
  • NattieBoomBattie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! I'm going to go check out the articles on it right now. And @ ch178, I think it was in the baking aisle with the sugars and stuff like HoopFire said. :)
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    Agave is delicious and while I don't have diabetes, my blood sugar went down after using it semi regularly ( more than sugar).
    I wouldn't read any of the articles personally, Mostly opinion and not fact based and meant to scare. Just my opinion.