How to transform a quiche?

Options
kagenw
kagenw Posts: 260 Member
We made a montecristo sandwich bake casserole tonight that turned out more like a quiche (I hate quiche). The milk and eggs separated into a wet goop with the consistency of tapioca. I'm certain it's cooked fully, but I can't dry it out to make it palatable. I've tried frying it without oil, a tactic that helped but not substantially.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to turn this quiche-like mess into something good?

Replies

• alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    you say it's fully cooked, but i'd bet it just needs a bit more time in the oven. egg casseroles take at least an hour
  • kagenw
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    you say it's fully cooked, but i'd bet it just needs a bit more time in the oven. egg casseroles take at least an hour

You're probably right. We doubled the recipe, which called for forty minutes in the oven, so we ran it for 80 minutes and then some. I'm worried about burning it in the oven if I keep it in there longer though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/monte-cristo-bake-162487.aspx
    Is it like this recipe?
    I don't think you will change it now. The egg is not going tombe absorbed or anything. You might disguise it with adding more non-egg ingredients.

If you did it again maybe let it sit until the bread absorbs the egg and milk fully.. maybe 10-30 minutes or even overnight before baking.
  • kagenw
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/monte-cristo-bake-162487.aspx
    Is it like this recipe?
    I don't think you will change it now. The egg is not going tombe absorbed or anything. You might disguise it with adding more non-egg ingredients.

If you did it again maybe let it sit until the bread absorbs the egg and milk fully.. maybe 10-30 minutes or even overnight before baking.

Yes, that's the exact recipe that we used. Baking it longer didn't help, but it did seem to be more palatable as a leftover (after being heated up in the microwave) the day after and stuffed in a tortilla with salsa.