I need it all -- support, advice, and tough love!

Options
Hello, fellow weight loss enthusiasts!

I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and exposing myself in all of my ignorance and yucky fatness, so, don’t take it easy on me. I’m here to learn, and I’m here to correct any incorrect beliefs about the path to a thinner, happier, healthier self.

Some back story – I’m a mother to a one year old, and I put on approximately 80 pounds that whole pregnancy journey. Because, food, and I had an excuse to completely go off the rails after years of strictly holding it down after a 160 pound loss. That was fun, at the time. Not so much right now. I recently moved back up North to Albany from Texas after the suicide of my close friend, and, I’m in a bit of a tail spin. 2018 is the year I’m pull myself up by my boot straps, realign my priorities, get everything back on track, and heal. To do this, I have a few missions, one of which, you guessed it – I need to look in the mirror and recognize myself, again, because this person? This lazy, uncoordinated, fat loaf of self-consciousness and insecurity? Not me. Your time has come, fat Jaimie, and I’ll bury you out back in a large Hostess box if it pleases you, but, you’re not hanging around. Adios. Others involve me dealing with the grief and getting back into school and buying a Ferrari, but, one thing at a time. If that happens to come of leaping out of my skin, yey.

I have actively obsessed for a month and a half about my diet and fitness plan, which is a consistent behavior for me. Once I set myself to something, I generally don’t quit until I’ve arrived. With that said, I’ve been tweaking and testing different options to see what fits best, and I’m stuck with a few questions, which, from forums and websites and fitness/diet geniuses, sometimes it’s just about testing the waters to find your solutions. However, picking the brains of a more advanced, knowledgeable crew sounds great, ergo..

This is what I’ve cooked up so far. My stats, my diet plan, and all things fitness:

7am-12pm: Intermittent fasting
Keto, 1500 calories
Lunch: Protein/Veggie
Snack: Nuts/fruit/cheese
Dinner: Protein/unlimited veggies
Dessert [if desired]: Fruit

3 daily liters of water.
Multivitamin
Fish oil
Ginger supplement
Fiber supplement
Cardio (HIIT) week 1: M/T/TH/F/SU
Cardio (HIIT) week 2: T/W/TH/S

Lifting schedule: M/W/F [250 calorie carb-ups on these days]

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw12.htm

The cardio is scheduled on days legs aren’t being utilized by the training in the link, but, I understand HIIT is pretty strenuous, so I’m wondering about other options, or maybe I should just limit it to a few days in order to heal from the weight training? Should I designate a rest day every week? I’ve read conflicting information about the number of days you should be busting your butt with this method. But, I’m not here to play games. I’m ready to violently beat the heckin’ crap out of myself to reach my goal weight. I’ve got to know these things.

With the exception of some things listed, I’ve lost approximately fifteen pounds in the past month and a half, and that’s without hardcore discipline. My goals, however, dictate that I’ll be tightening my belt significantly on cheats, alcohol, et cetera. If you see anything you think needs adjusting, scream it out. If you've been there at square one, and are using weight loss to change your life?
I want to hear your story! Don’t be shy.

I’ll edit and post pictures when I get on my laptop.

Thanks for your advice and insights, y’all!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Ok. My story. I lost 100 lbs and have been at goal 11yrs. Actually I’m down 110 last WI. I lost the last 40lbs by keeping a journal. I maintained by keeping a journal for five more years. I think, in the end, your plan will be as good as your journal. Keto won’t save you. Skipping breakfast? Well, not something I’d do.

Quit calling yourself names. Respect yourself.
  • its1230atnight
    its1230atnight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding!

Congrats on your weight loss! One hundred pounds is one hell of an accomplishment. What goes into your journal? Is it for food, or for mental health and accountability? I might consider it.

I've had a lot of success with Keto. I lost approximately 35 pounds the last bit of my last journey with it, and it really gave me what I'd been missing -- satiation.

And, this is how I respect myself. I am aware of my shortcomings, am humbly, playfully self-deprecating, and am actively working to put myself in a better situation, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually. But, if it upsets you, I won't call myself a fat loaf, anymore. :)
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    Also, I read intermittent fasting facilitates weight loss by enhancing hormone functioning. Has this been debunked? Very curious; I read about it everywhere and thought it was worth a shot.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is don't complicate things. Get your daily calorie goal from MFP, get a digital food scale--and start using it. Stay within your calorie goal everyday. Exercise if you want to and log in those calories--eat back half. Take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. When your weightloss plateaus, as it eventually does, you can look at how far you've come by your measurements and it'll give you courage to keep going. Read the success stories on the forums. It can give you a lift when you most need it. Go.......
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I think that by following any diet plan one will lose weight, providing one consumes less calories than one burns. The problem arises when one leaves the diet plan and goes back to eating "normally". Then the weight seems to have a tendency to come back.

For a sustainable plan, be it weight loss or maintenance, one would have to find the path that one can follow for life; not just for the time that one is losing weight.
    Therefore, there are questions that only the person involved can answer. For you these might be:
    1. will you be eating a Keto diet for the rest of your life?
    2. will you be intermittently fasting for the rest of your life?
    3. if not, what aspects of these diet plans do you find not sustainable and can you adapt them to fit into your life-long plan?
    4. are you missing (desiring) some foods and would you like to have them in your life plan?

One can eat whenever and whatever one wishes and lose weight. It's about how you can make this work for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Only thing I ever put in my journal was food and Weight Watcher points. Not a plug for WW, but I went there because I knew they kept journals and counted something. So that’s what I counted. Never heard of MFP when I started WW. MFP was brand new then I think.

Very early on I quit tracking exercise to remove the temptation to add more food. I didn’t think the calculations were good enough outside a laboratory. There weren’t all these gadgets then.

I see folks coming on here calling themselves names and think it’s unhelpful. I didn’t love my 285lb self, but I did decide I was worthy of getting the life I wanted for myself.

Even doing Keto, I’d get a food scale and measuring cups and have at a diary. Record everything you eat and drink. Good days and bad days. Non Keto slips, everything. A Keto diary might be an interesting and revealing undertaking. Track exercise, mood, water if you want. Some folks do. I thought those were unwelcome complications. Good luck.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Letting yourself fully grieve and heal is priority #1.

Intermittent fasting won't boost or speed up weight loss in any way. It's just a method of controlling your calorie intake. It's quite flexible and works for some people. Give it a try if you'd like, but don't expect anything magical from it.

Curious about the ginger supplement. What are you taking it for, specifically? I love ginger and use fresh ginger in my tea and to cook with occasionally.

Otherwise, I know you said it's your personality, but don't over think and over complicate it! It's as simple as you make it (or as complicated). Make it as easy on yourself as possible.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What is your height/weight? Did MFP assign the 1500 calories, or is that what you feel is sustainable? :)
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    I'm sorry -- I'll respond to all of you in a bit. I just got a call that my high school best friend just died in surgery. I'll touch back with everyone when the dust settles.

Thank you for your time and messages.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I started almost 3 years ago at 280. I now weight 170.

I mean, if you think it will work for you then you should try it. From my outside, complete internet stranger perspective. It seems like you might be overcomplicating it. But like I said. I'm an internet stranger I don't know you, you know you. If you think going low carb/keto is what's gonna do it then do it. I would just be aware that when you start eating more carbs again you will hold more water which means weight increase. I do skip breakfast which technically puts me into a intermittent fasting schedule. I now work out 5-6 days a week. I can still eat 1800 and lose a pound a week. is 1500 what MFP gave you with your stats entered?

I personally couldn't do it because some of my best friends are carbs.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Good heavens! So sorry to hear that you have experienced the deaths of important people in your life.

I always take one or two days a week off from exercise as a rest day. On the rest days, though, I try to take a short walk just because I like to be outside. My old fat body needed the recovery time. The weight came off because I was keeping track of calories on MFP. The exercise helped me cope with stress and feeling sad.
  • JuneyCleaves
    JuneyCleaves Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Join our support/accountability group if you're looking for motivation.
    Commit to yourself and commit to your peers by checking in daily and sharing honestly, without judgement.
    Sharing is cathartic, and this is a safe, welcoming place we're developing to do just that as we transform the parts of ourselves we want to work on.

Hope you'll join us!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/124554-stop-starting-over-accountability-support-group
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    My advice to you is don't complicate things. Get your daily calorie goal from MFP, get a digital food scale--and start using it. Stay within your calorie goal everyday. Exercise if you want to and log in those calories--eat back half. Take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. When your weightloss plateaus, as it eventually does, you can look at how far you've come by your measurements and it'll give you courage to keep going. Read the success stories on the forums. It can give you a lift when you most need it. Go.......

Hi there. Sorry about the delay in responding, and thanks for your input. The calorie goal derived from entering sedentary (I work a desk) and placing seven days intense exercise landed me around 1,394. Every single other calculator I've used to calculate my calorie intake placed me around 2,000, at the lowest. I chose 1,500 because of an assessment I received the last time I lost a large amount of weight. Based on similar information, they placed me at 1,500 with some of the listed supplements. I felt like that was a good place for me and I lost weight without lapsing into periods of immense craving. Given conflicting information, I went with what I knew worked for my body. I'll tweak it if I feel like my workouts are sluggish or the scale isn't moving.

I took your advice and started a journal with all of my measurements. I also pretty much live on here during the day when work is slow. Lol. So, I know what you mean. It's very motivating.

I appreciate your thoughtful advice! Best of luck on your journey!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I think that by following any diet plan one will lose weight, providing one consumes less calories than one burns. The problem arises when one leaves the diet plan and goes back to eating "normally". Then the weight seems to have a tendency to come back.

For a sustainable plan, be it weight loss or maintenance, one would have to find the path that one can follow for life; not just for the time that one is losing weight.
    Therefore, there are questions that only the person involved can answer. For you these might be:
    1. will you be eating a Keto diet for the rest of your life?
    2. will you be intermittently fasting for the rest of your life?
    3. if not, what aspects of these diet plans do you find not sustainable and can you adapt them to fit into your life-long plan?
    4. are you missing (desiring) some foods and would you like to have them in your life plan?

One can eat whenever and whatever one wishes and lose weight. It's about how you can make this work for you.

I thought long and hard about this, and, I never really thought about it from this perspective before. I think a lot of my failures in the past have come directly from this pitfall -- I set up unrealistic lifetime alterations to my diet and when I lapse back into "regular" eating, I'm all shocked and disappointed with myself for.. doing what feels normal? Granted, it takes discipline to cut out the really disgusting eating, but I think by conditioning myself to find healthy, clean alternatives to the staples will make all the difference. I occasionally want pasta so I've been making zoodles (zucchini noodles) with tomato sauce and it's satisfied my cravings. If I do this consistently, I won't even think about the other things, anymore, because this will have taken their place. That's a lifestyle change I could see myself maintaining. However, you're right -- if I want it, I'll have it, within reason.

Due to your comment, concerning the keto, I broke out of the super diet restriction and loosed the grams to around 50. I don't eat a ton of carbs, but I do drink them. This gives me encouragement to cut down on my alcohol consumption. I find it's mostly destructive, anyway, so .. it works out pretty nicely.

Thanks for your insightful comment!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Only thing I ever put in my journal was food and Weight Watcher points. Not a plug for WW, but I went there because I knew they kept journals and counted something. So that’s what I counted. Never heard of MFP when I started WW. MFP was brand new then I think.

Very early on I quit tracking exercise to remove the temptation to add more food. I didn’t think the calculations were good enough outside a laboratory. There weren’t all these gadgets then.

I see folks coming on here calling themselves names and think it’s unhelpful. I didn’t love my 285lb self, but I did decide I was worthy of getting the life I wanted for myself.

Even doing Keto, I’d get a food scale and measuring cups and have at a diary. Record everything you eat and drink. Good days and bad days. Non Keto slips, everything. A Keto diary might be an interesting and revealing undertaking. Track exercise, mood, water if you want. Some folks do. I thought those were unwelcome complications. Good luck.

Yeah, I saw the calorie extensions on here from exercise, and you need to pay to remove them. I had to explain to my sister why eating more because of your "allowed" calories is only going to land you at maintenance.

And, I will. I've started a journal. A lot of people have found this helpful. I'm going to give it a shot.

Thank you again!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Letting yourself fully grieve and heal is priority #1.

Intermittent fasting won't boost or speed up weight loss in any way. It's just a method of controlling your calorie intake. It's quite flexible and works for some people. Give it a try if you'd like, but don't expect anything magical from it.

Curious about the ginger supplement. What are you taking it for, specifically? I love ginger and use fresh ginger in my tea and to cook with occasionally.

Otherwise, I know you said it's your personality, but don't over think and over complicate it! It's as simple as you make it (or as complicated). Make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Thank you. It's been hard, but, that's a part of life. I just wish she had longer with her fiance. They had just found each other. Very sad.

Got'cha. I did read about the hormone rebalancing, but, who knows about that. I'll give it a shot for a little while and see if anything changes, or if it's maintainable. If not, I'll drop it.

Ginger (allegedly) reduces cravings and increases calorie burns. Also giving it a shot. Any little bit helps.

I've been trying to process and digest these deaths, and I think it's been summed up for me as.. don't sweat the small stuff. Just relax, go with the flow, enjoy it while you're here, and do what works without adding additional suffering. That ties into the overcomplication. When you're high strung as hell and can't chill, it all becomes overcomplicated. I hope to see the forest for the trees and take a step back before I launch into my fixation mode to cope with my anxiety.

Thanks for your helpful post!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    What is your height/weight? Did MFP assign the 1500 calories, or is that what you feel is sustainable? :)

I'm 5'7 and 255, as of my last weigh in. I started around 276 at the beginning of December. And, I wrote a long response in an upper comment. Long story short, I had a professional calculate my intake during my last major weight loss journey.

Thanks for your post!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I started almost 3 years ago at 280. I now weight 170.

I mean, if you think it will work for you then you should try it. From my outside, complete internet stranger perspective. It seems like you might be overcomplicating it. But like I said. I'm an internet stranger I don't know you, you know you. If you think going low carb/keto is what's gonna do it then do it. I would just be aware that when you start eating more carbs again you will hold more water which means weight increase. I do skip breakfast which technically puts me into a intermittent fasting schedule. I now work out 5-6 days a week. I can still eat 1800 and lose a pound a week. is 1500 what MFP gave you with your stats entered?

I personally couldn't do it because some of my best friends are carbs.

I touched on a lot of these subjects on replies to other commenters. tl;dr, or in case you don't feel like looking for the full reply, I'm working on dealing with my anxiety, which leads to the overcomplicating. Keto worked for me in the past, but I didn't stick with it because of my love for pasta things. I unbound my restrictions and am still in low-carb mode, but am not keeping it quite as low. I don't really consider water weight "weight-weight," It's just bloat, and that can be dealt with.

Yeah, some people just don't like breakfast. I'm one of them. I feel sluggish the rest of the day. That's awesome you can still lose around that intake. MFP gave me around 1,300, but I don't feel that's right. Not given how much I'm busting my rear end at the gym and weight training. Every other calculator said between 2,000 and 2,500 to lose. I'm sticking with 1500 because it's what was prescribed to me by a professional I sought to lose the last batch of serious weight.

Thanks for responding! Best of luck with your weight loss!
  • its1230atnight
    Options
    Good heavens! So sorry to hear that you have experienced the deaths of important people in your life.

I always take one or two days a week off from exercise as a rest day. On the rest days, though, I try to take a short walk just because I like to be outside. My old fat body needed the recovery time. The weight came off because I was keeping track of calories on MFP. The exercise helped me cope with stress and feeling sad.

Yeah, they've been coming one right after the other in the past five years. I've lost about six close people to me. It's been brutal.

I hope you're seeing someone about being sad. And, like someone said on my posts, putting yourself down probably isn't helpful. Is there another, more encouraging way to look at yourself and your need to recover? I'm trying this thinking in my own self-deprecating world, so, don't think I'm getting all preachy.

Thanks for your post and I hope your mood improves!