Runners- what is your stretching routine?

Options
2»

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I've been distance running for 10+ years, and have never stretched before or after. I sporadically practice yoga, but I think the necessity of stretching isn't quite as high as some make it seem.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Don’t stretch at all. I do foam roll if I am sore after a long run but that is it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Dynamic warmup before a run and I seldom stretch after unless I'm feeling a bit beat up.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Warm-up with a brisk walk before. Stretch, if at all, after.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Walk 5 min, after about 3 of those, dynamic calf stretch.
    Run.
    Walk 5 min, dynamic calf stretch.
    Shower later some toe touches and quad stretches.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Don’t think I’ve ever stretched before or after a run. I walk for a couple of minutes before and after a run as a warm up and cool down but that’s about it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I dont, I only recall stretching once because my muscles were really tight. I do foam roll but not too often. I will again soon probably because Im starting to up my milage again for a marathon in July, so II will do that after long runs
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before hand but do afterwards. I started using the NHS recommended post-run stretches when I did C25K and still do them now.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/the-5-worst-things-to-do-before-a-run/slide/1
    Static stretching

Most of us learned how to warm up many years ago in elementary or middle school PE classes. Much of that is now out-of-date. Today, recent research indicates that static stretching is not the best for a runner. In fact, one recent study found that static stretching before a run lead to slower starts and a greater perceived effort. Other studies show that even the simple sit-and-reach stretch can decrease your ability to stride naturally.

Instead, a dynamic warmup appears to prepare your muscles more effectively.

Static stretching for 30 to 60 seconds lengthens the muscle, but in doing so it also appears to affect the signals between the muscle and the brain, triggering a protective reflex that prevents the muscle from being overstretched. Therefore, muscles become inhibited and are not able to contract as forcefully. This reflex decreases the strength and power of the muscle for a short time afterward.

A dynamic warmup refers to moving your muscles through a wide range of motion that simulates the running movement. Think of it as lubricating your joints before a run. Start with these 5 Warmup Moves that can be done before every run.

+1 for doing a dynamic warm up routine before a run. Stretching after the run.
  • rupshaw
    rupshaw Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Stretch afterwards, toe touches, crossover and breathing slowly and deeply during post stretch.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If something feels tight during a run, I'll stretch it afterwards. I don't have any normal stretching routines, though.