Protein and Food Allergies

Options
jdomal
jdomal Posts: 13 Member
I've had some health challenges recently and one of my doctors encouraged me to eat protein at every meal. I began tracking my intake with MFP and found that I was having difficulty eating enough of everything, not just protein.

I have rather annoying food allergies that can make it challenging to get quality protein. Package that with some rather sensitive taste buds that can't tolerate very bitter or salty flavors and eating processed foods can be difficult.

I'm looking for ideas on protein sources. I am allergic to eggs (all kinds except for baked), iodine (so I can't have fish or soy too often), tomatoes, eggplant, pineapple (that one is sneaky...natural flavors, tenderizer, marinade) and turkey.

It hasn't been difficult keeping sugar down since I grew up without added sweeteners and don't eat sweet things as a rule. I find that I'm not eating enough fats. Go figure.

I just got a protein powder that my doctor recommended so I'll see how that goes.

Looking forward to the assistance.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For protein: chicken, pork, beef, lamb, venison, dairy (especially cottage cheese or greek yogurt), and beans and lentils (if you don't want to go all animal products). Other legumes like chickpeas and peas can be helpful too.

Fat comes with the animal-based sources of protein, normally, and will be in nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and olive oil, anything from coconut.

Is your issue keeping calories up overall? Or specifically protein and fat?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Beef, Pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, beans, lentils, legumes, to name a few option
  • jdomal
    Options
    Beef, Pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, beans, lentils, legumes,

Yes, I'm eating those already. But I'm a small, middle aged woman with a disability so my calorie intake isn't that high (1200 to 1400). It is difficult to find options that keep me in the right calorie/macro
  • jdomal
    Options
    Is your issue keeping calories up overall? Or specifically protein and fat?

Both are an issue. Because of extended illnesses and medication, my hunger mechanism is faulty. I get full very quickly especially from protein. I forget to eat most days. I eat all the foods mentioned but I suppose I'm not eating them in the correct proportions.

I don't eat a lot of processed foods because of allergies so most of my cooking is from scratch. I am just missing the macro percentages every day and wanted to know what to do
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How much are you missing them by? Are you sure you are including correct entries? What goal are you trying to hit? Normally it's pretty easy to adjust macros without changing calories by increasing portion size of one thing and decreasing it for another -- I'd look at your diary and see where you can make changes.

Also, unless your doctor said otherwise, being exact with the macros is not necessary.