Best alcoholic beverage?

Options
I'm a young woman in my 20s who eants to lose weight but doesnt want to stop my friday night drinking catch ups! Anyone know best drink to have that wont hinder it completely? My drink of choice is a cornish rattler so obv not drinking that now!

Replies

• Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and im 41 soon 42.. and i have finally talked myself into the wine and beer you can buy with the alcohol taken out. Its not bad.

I found that if i gave into 1 drink it would interfere with my judgement and ill give in to more.

Otherwise my friends that r on diets i ve seen them have a light ginger wine and soda.
    It really is up to u how u react to it.

Hope this helps. Xo
  • legs1968
    legs1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I am on Ketogenic lifestyle change and there is lots of good things on Pinterest for that...stay away from sugared drinks, no creamed drinks-all have so many calories and sugar contents...light wines in white are good and heavy liquor ie gin and vodka with waters and lime is good.
    Drink lots of water in between. You will be happy the next day you did.
    Drink responsibly
    :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try a flavored vodka with a flavored seltzer water. At home, I'd do a shot of watermelon vodka with a watermelon flavored seltzer water. Nice, light and just under a hundred calories. If you are drinking in the bars, then find out if they have flavored vodkas...many do. Get seltzer water (zero calories) instead of tonic water (which has ~120 calories).

Otherwise a light beer or a glass of wine are usually around 100-125 calories. If you want to stretch the wine (since you only get 5 oz for 125 calories), add seltzer water to that also to make it more of a spritzer.

If you like the hard liquor, then do a shot with either seltzer water or a zero calorie soda. That way only the shot is calories that you have to count, and most are just under a 100 calories for 1.5 oz.

As legs1968 said too, make sure you order a glass of water when you order your drinks. That way, drink the water between each alcoholic drink you have. You stay hydrated (good for warding off a hangover), you don't drink as much alcohol, and your friends probably won't even notice that you're slipping in the water into the line up. Another option is to have one drink, then switch to water or the zero calorie soda for the rest of the night.

Just like with food, moderation is your friend. Figure out what works for you to moderate the intake.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What is seltzer water?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How good are you at practicing moderation once you get started? :wink:

If you can make it work, I find one good beer or glass of wine is pretty easy to fit into my day.
    In general, hard liquors like vodka or whiskey are a good choice and if you mix them with plain seltzer or a diet soda you get pretty low cal per drink.

If you tend to go through several rounds, try to alternate drinks with water or diet soda.
    And watch the nibbles. I tend to limit my alcohol fine, but a table full of apps and bread baskets are easy to over-pick at when you're drinking and chatting!
  • johnjohnsonejt3
    johnjohnsonejt3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like your in your 20s
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like your in your 20s

Why in your 20s but not any other time? Why should people in their 20s disregard the potential impact the extra calories in mixers or alcohol may have on their weight or fitness goals?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I like white wine but they can add up.
    I have been very much into Bai drinks and think they'd go pretty well with Vodka.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    I like white wine but they can add up.
    I have been very much into Bai drinks and think they'd go pretty well with Vodka.

Ounce for ounce, white wine has fewer calories than alcohol. Obviously the serving sizes are often different, but white wine is a very reasonable choice for a calorie-conscious drinker.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    salmarooni wrote: »
    I'm a young woman in my 20s who eants to lose weight but doesnt want to stop my friday night drinking catch ups! Anyone know best drink to have that wont hinder it completely? My drink of choice is a cornish rattler so obv not drinking that now!

Use 0-calorie mixers (diet soda, soda water). Flavored vodka, coconut rum afaik is always 0-calorie flavoring. Liquor is ~100 calories for a 1.5 oz shot. Wine ~120/5oz glass. Avoid mixed drinks with juice, non-diet soda, non-SF syrups if watching the calories. And single talls with less ice to make those 100 calories of rum/vodka/etc last longer if you want to be able to sip for a while. And watch the food..bar food is ridiculously calorie dense for even tiny amounts.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above - I would recommend sticking to vodka or other clear liquors.

White wine and clear liquors, such as rum, vodka, tequila, and gin, have fewer congeners. Therefore have fewer impurities and are easier for your body to process out. Keep in mind you should always use moderation when it comes to alcohol consumption because your body will process the calories from alcohol out of your body before it does calories from food.

Personally my drink of choices is Tito's with a splash of lime juice also known as a vodka gimlet.

BTW - enjoy your 20's (-:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    anything distilled will give you the best bang for your calorie buck.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    At home I like the calorie free sparkling rasberry flavored water with raspberry rum
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I drink beer. Love love love my beer. I alternate an IPA with a Bud Lite and keep the total to no more than 6. 330 cals for 3 Buds and about 500-600 cals of IPAs. Plan accordingly the rest of the day and keep your food light.

Or mix your alcohol with a diet mixer. If you like something sweet, you can mix with 50/50 tropicana or diet lemonade or diet cranberry and diet sprite.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I mix vodka, diet Sprite or 7Up, and flavor packets. Yum!
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic!! Refreshing, low cal, and it gets the job done!
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you drink, but I decided to cut back on alcohol greatly. I was drinking a lot of liquor on the weekends. Now, I try to keep myself busy and maybe just have a couple of malt beers. My doctor told me there is life outside of the bottle. I had drank since 21 heavily, to 31 now. However, diet soda and whiskey or vodka is low calorie.
  • BigRed2525
    BigRed2525 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Put ice in a glass. Add bourbon. Drink.

OK, I realize that's a bit extreme for most people. I made some tasty cocktails this summer with muddled fruit, mint or basil, and fizzy water. Gin, strawberry, and basil was my favorite. Bourbon, blackberry, and mint is also quite tasty.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I always do vodka & soda with 2 limes. Tastes good (though the soda water could take time to get used to, at first I didn't like it but now I do) and the only calories is the vodka. Plus you drink water at the same time (the soda water) and it seems to help me feel less crappy the next day.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I switched whisky and lemonade for whisky and soda water and it was difficult to adjust to soda at first but now I prefer it and find lemonade is too sweet :smile: