Do you overeat or starve when depressed?

Options

Replies

• suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite when stressed or down, but only because my alcohol consumption increases. Calories still going in.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Stress puts an overload on my body, no appetite, tired, fatigued, sleepy, etc. and I hate it too. I don't let stress beat me, I hit it head on, cause feeling like that is not fun.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    When depressed I eat/sleep and gain weight.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've done both. Mostly over-ate. The times I under-ate I was in a really bad place.

Now I do my best to manage stress/deperssion/anxiety with exercise, which works, assuming I am able to force myself to do it, which can be challenging.

Yeah I cant get myself to exercise right now. It's so tough. The only thing Ill get out of bed for is work (I have no choice) or to get food in the kitchen and bring it back to my bed. I might go to my parents house tonight to eat, drink wine, and spill out my emotions but I'm not sure if Ill even feel like getting out of the house for that....
  • swtsthrnprincess
    swtsthrnprincess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Binge - always, watch TV, veg on the couch, sleep.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    When depressed, anxious, stressed, worried... I literally forget to eat. My stomach just closes down.
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have never had a life crisis that impacted my appetite!
  • luciemayc
    luciemayc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Always over eat, I’ve also smoked and drank alcohol in the past as well to self medicate,
  • kayytyye
    kayytyye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Depends for me I find.

Like today my depression and anxiety are hitting hard and I find myself not hungry at all. Then other times all I do is binge *kitten* food haha
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Seems like when I first get stressed or depressed, I eat more, but the farther I fall into the feelings, I eat less and less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think I get depressed but too much stress usually leads to exercise because it's one of the few things that help. If I'm sad I tend not to eat much. I don't starve but I do eat less than usual.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    kayytyye wrote: »
    Depends for me I find.

Like today my depression and anxiety are hitting hard and I find myself not hungry at all. Then other times all I do is binge *kitten* food haha

I used to not eat and would lose a ton of weight, and now for some reason I've turned to eating and have gained a lot due to binging. What do you feel when you binge compared to how you feel when you don't eat? I don't know if my question made sense....ummm how depressed on a scale from 1-5 are you when you binge compared to not eating?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    food just stops seeming relevant when i'm stressed, i know that. with depression, i'm not sure. in both situations what i do eat does tend to be crap.

i also find cause and effect hard to sort out on the depressive side. i only just realised that part of the reason why i often come home feeling sad from spending a day with my dad has nothing to do with him or the situation at all. i'm just HUNGRY.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Tinkachu wrote: »
    Tinkachu wrote: »
    I overeat if I feel down or stressed because I know carbs improve serotonin which makes you feel good. I wish I didn't know that. =3=

So does exercise :smile:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prefrontal-nudity/201111/boosting-your-serotonin-activity

I tend to be grumpy/moody after exercise unfortunately.

Hmm, but it does say that over-doing it or exercising when you don't want to can make you feel differently. I'll keep that in mind, thank you. :)

Ya, I'm referring to mild or moderate exercise. The first time I do something really intense like snow shoeing, I feel all whacked out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Mostly over-ate. The times I under-ate I was in a really bad place.

Now I do my best to manage stress/deperssion/anxiety with exercise, which works, assuming I am able to force myself to do it, which can be challenging.

Yeah I cant get myself to exercise right now. It's so tough. The only thing Ill get out of bed for is work (I have no choice) or to get food in the kitchen and bring it back to my bed. I might go to my parents house tonight to eat, drink wine, and spill out my emotions but I'm not sure if Ill even feel like getting out of the house for that....

Hug-Memes-thought-you-could-use-a-hug.jpg?fit=450%2C324
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Binge during milder depressions, but lose my appetite when deeply depressed or highly manic.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Eat. Whatever is in the house,and mildly edible goes in my mouth. Heck even if its not edible I'll fidget it with my mouth and face.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    im a binger :( But im getting better
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I undereat when depressed.
  • AndrewPX
    AndrewPX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i definitely overeat. somehow the endorphins from the bad food make me feel better. even if it is temporary.
    endorphins is the body's way of self-medicating and so i tend to do whatever gets the, flowing.
    sad but true