How to be patient when dieting.

Options
I know i'm losing weight. There is no question about that.
But knowing I have around 14 weeks until I'm at the weight I want to be makes me feel a bit meh.
I'm not discouraged by this at all.
It just feeling the need to look in the mirror 3 times a day to see if I can see any changes.
Obviously I know the answer is "you checked 3 hours ago. You've not lost a stone since then. Look again next week and there might be a change" But as I said I am impatient. :tongue:
So yeah, what do you to keep patient with it?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a challenge, especially when you're so close to your goal weight you can taste it! I have about 15lbs to go and I'm getting impatient too.

All you can really do is try not to focus on it. Maybe weigh-in weekly instead of daily, if that helps to keep you from fixating on the numbers. Just remind yourself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Maintenance isn't some magical goal line - it's just the next phase of the life-long journey of controlling your weight.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Take a photo of yourself, front, back, side, face. After a week, compare the before and after. Keep doing that. Compare Week #1 with Week #4 and so on. You’ll see the changes. You’ll almost never see the subtle day to day changes. That might help.

Take your waist, hip & bust measurement every week. You should see changes there too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I had diet fatigue for about a week, around when I hit normal BMI. It will pass! Make sure you make the process as enjoyable as possible. Don't eat strange food, and don't force exercise. You're practically at goal weight already, and keep in mind that you'll be doing the same (with just a couple of hundred calories more) for the rest of your life, without the satisfaction of seeing any movement on the scale (except for natural fluctuations, up to 5-6 pounds - and you can indeed reframe your brain to be happy to see the numbers staying within your goal range).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My tip is go to Success Stories forum and read about people who lost several times the weight you want to. Read about those who spent years steadily losing (those who were consistent). You'll come to appreciate that 14 weeks isn't long at all. Congrats on your success so far.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Only 14 weeks! It took me 52 weeks and then some! It will be worth it though so yeah have patience. :smile:
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Only 14 weeks! It took me 52 weeks and then some! It will be worth it though so yeah have patience. :smile:

agreed 14 weeks is nothing, Been going for about 30 weeks and dont plan on stopping.

The key is to not look at how long it takes, but to just make that next step and keep going.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who read it to be 14 weeks left, and not starting out on a 14 weeks' weightloss project?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who read it to be 14 weeks left, and not starting out on a 14 weeks' weightloss project?

if they were going for a significant amount of time. Another 14 weeks wouldnt be an issue for them.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’ve been at this for 2+ years. Last year, I lost a whopping 20#. What REALLY matters is setting yourself up for success after your 14 short weeks are over.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I agree that 14 weeks is nothing. Once you lose successfully, then there is maintenance which is life long.

My being patient is me loving each milestone, each new size, each new pair of pants, everytime I wear something old and I swim in it, every extra 10 minutes that i run, everytime I have the energy to play with my granddaughter. You get the point. I still have 40 pounds to go, but I intend to enjoy every moment of this journey.
  • ImpatientlyDieting
    Options
    Isn't it a bit unfair to say 14 weeks isn't long at all because others (Perhaps some of you yourselves) have longer to go?
    14 weeks is a long time to be unhappy with the way you look...
    But I like the idea of milestones :smile:
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hear yeah, I lost 17 lbs and look in the mirror and say. Wtf where's my abs, if you see yourself every day you won't see much. But you are definitely losing if the scale says you are.

I didn't take measurements so it's harder to even tell, only way I know is cause my cloth feel loose not tight
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a bit unfair to say 14 weeks isn't long at all because others (Perhaps some of you yourselves) have longer to go?

I keep saying, next year I will be saying look at me now
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have a goal weight but my goal is really to have better health and better quality of life. So I spend more time noticing things like I can walk farther or touch my toes or that pain I used to have went away.
    I don't really have a deadline for my loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Most people are emphasizing that 14 weeks isn't the "end game"...managing a healthy weight and fitness goes into perpetuity...it doesn't stop in 14 weeks. Goal weight isn't the finish line...it's the starting line of the real race...managing a healthy weight and fitness is about the long game...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

People are trying to tell you that 14 weeks isn't a long time to give you some perspective; it's a direct answer to the question you posed in your OP.

14 weeks is 3.5 months. That's not a long time for anything. It's a school semester. It's as long as the first half of a TV season used to be. It's not that long.

Plus, you need to keep in mind that most people don't lose weight exactly on schedule. It may take you 14 weeks, or it may take 16. It might take 20. You need to get a better handle on the perspective or it's going to be rough for you.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It was fine when I still had 30 lbs to lose (half a year ago), but now I'm down to the last 9. Definition is starting to show and I'm getting impatient to get to my goal weight so I can start building some real muscles. Knowing I already do everything I can helps. There's nothing I can do but to just keep doing what I'm doing and eagerly wait for my body to get there. At least it's something to look forward to!