Breastfeeding

Options
So they say that you burn more calories during the day if you are a nursing mother. My question, is there a way of knowing or approximating how many additional calories you are burning and is this something you would add into your calorie logs? I want to make sure that I am maintaining enough calories to support my milk supply and I also want to make sure I am not taking more than I need for my weight loss goals.

Replies

• theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I counted it. The books all say 500 for exclusively breastfeeding. When my daughter was nursing 4-6x a day I automatically added "one minute-nursing mother-200 calories" to my cardio. Then 100 when she was only nursing 1-2x day. Now she only nurses MAYBE once a week so I no longer count it.

But yes, you need to count it. you do NOT want to go too low as it will interfere with how much your child is getting and the nutrients in it.
  • Lisa_reds
    Lisa_reds Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is really dependent on how many times a day you are nursing and how much milk you produce. Those moms who solely nurse when the baby is less than 6 months (so not getting any food yet) burn about 500 calories more a day. However, once the baby is eating food, they are getting less milk. I think I read somewhere it is about 25-30 calories an ounce. I was never able to figure out how much that meant because I never knew how many ounces my daughter got. I don't really know if this helps or not, but this is all that I found out. And if you want to log it, under FOOD, search for breastfeeding and you can log it there. Just an FYI :)
  • RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    I just finished with breastfeeding my son a few months ago. I dont know if there is away of telling exactly how many cals you burn but a good rule of thumb is to add any extra 500 cals on everyday. I've heard that some people have no problem looseing weight while breastfeeding...unfortinatly I was not one of them. I lost alittle but didn't start to loose it all until after I was done and could really workout hard. Don't get discouraged though. The most important thing is feeding your little one!
  • wolffs05
    wolffs05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I nursed my triplets exclusively and I could eat a ton of food and still was losing weight. It is about 500-600 calories per day for one baby.
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    one ounce of expressed breastmilk is apx. 30 cal.

But, a woman burns MORE than that just producing the milk. ;)

A "typical" breastfed baby usually consumes 24 oz of milk from the breast. One ounce per hour average. ;) Some will do 4 oz every 6 hrs, 2 oz ever 2 hours, etc.
  • kgillay
    kgillay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never knew any of this. I was always told to eat an extra 500 calories a day while nursing from the doctors. I am currently exclusively nursing my 8 week old and I also exclusively nursed my 2 yr old until she was 1 and I never seem to lose weight until after I stop nursing. That's why I started MFP so I could really track what I am eating and how much. Thanks for all the info ladies!
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    exactly right! That is why I would put it in my cardio so I don't go over my "goal" for the day. ;)

Or you can just use the number they give you for maintenance and add 500..

My daughter is 18 months and is only nursing maybe once a week, before her "month day" she was nursing 2x a day, and before 1 year 4-6 times a day, and before 6 mos probably close to 12 times a day. every 1.5-2.5 hours AROUND THE CLOCK! LOL

Most importantly is to drink a full glass of water with each nursing session!

Also, the breastfeeding board at justmommies.com is full of supportive breastfeeding moms, and kellymom.com is chock-full of information on EVERY breastfeeding topic. Without either of those websites I never would have made it past the first few days breastfeeding. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    Also, (sry I can't seem to shut up tonight...) just to throw it out there, I *gained* 20 lbs while exclusively breastfeeding. It wasn't until she cut to 2 feedings per day that I was able to start to lose.....
  • Malani2010
    Malani2010 Posts: 245
    Options
    Wolffs 05- You are a trooper with breastfeeding triplets. I am just learning to exclusivley nurse my second baby. I give you many blessings on your family.
  • valeriaaaa
    Options
    Wow so many great responses! Thanks ladies! I am not exclusively breastfeeding, but I nurse her about 3 times a day and pump twice while I am at work. On weekends I pretty much nurse her on demand so that is probably a little more. I get a total of about 7-8 oz from the pumping. She is 71/2 months now so she does eat some baby food along with 2 bmilk bottles while at daycare. I am thinking the best thing is to go with the 30 cal per ounce and guess she eats 4-5 oz when she nurses plus the pumping. That should get me close to an accurate idea. And of course the breastfeeding is the priority and if I am hungry, I eat. I am just getting this started now so that I have a head start on my goals when I do stop nursing. I have been able to lose some weight but I am thinking it is not as much as I would if I wasn't nursing. I definitely get the feeling that my body is holding on to some weight and that is why I am concerned I might not be eating enough. I don't want to slow down my metabolism and I definitely don't want to lose my supply!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My son is turning 1 in a week. We still breastfeed and he also gets formula/whole cow milk and solids.

We still breastfeed many times throughout the day (I'm talking about 5 or 6) although I've had a low supply since the beginning.

I log breastfeeding throughout the day as -300 calories. So far I've been able to continue breastfeeding and have lost 1 - 2 lbs a week.

Hope that helps :)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Also, (sry I can't seem to shut up tonight...) just to throw it out there, I *gained* 20 lbs while exclusively breastfeeding. It wasn't until she cut to 2 feedings per day that I was able to start to lose.....
    I love you. I'm so tired of hearing "But aren't you breastfeeding?" when I comment on how hard weight loss has been. Before getting pregnant I lost 75 lbs and while I did work for it it came off SO much easier than it is now. I'm hoping when she weans I'll drop again. We're down to 4 sessions a day.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love you. I'm so tired of hearing "But aren't you breastfeeding?" when I comment on how hard weight loss has been. Before getting pregnant I lost 75 lbs and while I did work for it it came off SO much easier than it is now. I'm hoping when she weans I'll drop again. We're down to 4 sessions a day.
    Here here. I've only recently (past 6 weeks) lost weight.
  • tinytots3
    tinytots3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love your quote! Praise God!
  • Mama2Q
    Mama2Q Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 14 month old still breastfeeds 6+ times a day (and over night) and breastfeeding has not helped me to lose weight at all. I've been within 5lbs of the same weight for the past 12 months. I hope that when she eventually weans I'll be able to actually lose. I'm sick of the post baby flab but I don't want to kill my supply by dieting too much