Maintenance or deficit on period (women only obviously)

Hi! I’m sorry as I’m sure this has been asked before ... but my search bar on here isn’t working :(

So It’s that time again and I am really REALLY struggling to be at deficit without being completely exhausted and starving. I decided to eat maintenance today and will re-evaluate how I feel tomorrow and see if I should eat maintenance for the next 2-3 days until this is over or if I can continue at a deficit.

I’m wondering what other girls on here do?

It doesn’t help that I’m very tall, very active (lately), and under a lot of stress this month. I feel that by eating at maintenance for a couple days I am preventing myself from binge eating, which IMO is worse than stalling weight loss for a couple days.... any suggestions?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    I havent had one in like 8 months but i feel like my hormones still happen just more at random i get those weeks so ill answer anyway...I tend to force self to eat alot of spinach and potatoes and healthy stuff an once iv eaten alot of those things it really does seem to help.

Itd be so much yummier in the moment to eat icecream though xD I tend to stick to my calories and be satisfied as logn as i reach for those first though. Tell myself i get junk AFTER. Rarely go for it. Keeping physically active helps a ton even if you dont want to move. It really does.

Id honestly listen to your body day by day, I feel like if i made up my mind i eat more on my period itd be a mental thing and id use it as an excuse even when i didnt feel i needed it

I know MANY on here who go maintenance or just dont care though. Of course we all have those days
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I usually give myself one day during my period to just eat whatever but stay within maintenance calories. I usually go for salty foods, which does nothing to help with the bloating!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I take my cycle one day at a time. If I need to eat more, then I do. I believe there are many women here who eat at maintenance during parts of their cycle.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I think it's perfectly fine to have a couple of maintenance days when you have PMS/TOM hunger. Many woman (not all) do have a higher RMR in the late luteal phase (to the tune of 100-300 cals, variable between individuals, and again not all). Given the option between being miserable, and potentially battling hunger that may lead to going well over cals if you try to ignore it, and eating at maintenance for a couple of days for overall better adherence, I choose the latter. Some months I will be uber hungry, other not at all, so I base whether I eat extra on that. If you're collecting good, solid data on cals in and tracking your weight daily in a trending app, you may be able to see if you do in fact have a higher rate of loss at that time if at a deficit. I was able to do this, so I'm fairly confident that I can eat a few hundred cals a day extra in the lead up to Flo's arrival.
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    IcelandicBlonde27 Posts: 26 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly fine to have a couple of maintenance days when you have PMS/TOM hunger. Many woman (not all) do have a higher RMR in the late luteal phase (to the tune of 100-300 cals, variable between individuals, and again not all). Given the option between being miserable, and potentially battling hunger that may lead to going well over cals if you try to ignore it, and eating at maintenance for a couple of days for overall better adherence, I choose the latter. Some months I will be uber hungry, other not at all, so I base whether I eat extra on that. If you're collecting good, solid data on cals in and tracking your weight daily in a trending app, you may be able to see if you do in fact have a higher rate of loss at that time if at a deficit. I was able to do this, so I'm fairly confident that I can eat a few hundred cals a day extra in the lead up to Flo's arrival.

This omg!!! Last month I was barely hungry and this month ( today) I was so ravenous
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Maybe try a Vitamin B Complex, since I’ve started that, I have substantially less cravings, mood swings and bloating.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Do you're thing. When I'm serious, I'm serious. My period will not stop my deficit.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    If you're actually hungry, then eat. If you're like me, not hungry at all, but still want a giant bowl of cereal, I'd try to pass :) if I wasn't so tired and crampy I might actually give in tonight.
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    My cycle just ended today since I started my Keto diet and I must say, I craved a lot less sugar and carbs and I had no physical cycle symptoms. Overall, something about the Keto diet is magical because I still managed to lose weight during my cycle. Miracle!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i maintain my deficit when its TOM.

but i dont have any pms symptoms or mood swings or any of the other *kitten* a lot of women get. i have symptoms (aside from the obvious lololol) but they dont affect appetite. my 'girls' get super tender, i have ZERO pain tolerance, and almost all foods taste 'off'.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    i maintain my deficit when its TOM.

but i dont have any pms symptoms or mood swings or any of the other *kitten* a lot of women get. i have symptoms (aside from the obvious lololol) but they dont affect appetite. my 'girls' get super tender, i have ZERO pain tolerance, and almost all foods taste 'off'.

Same here (except I'm in maintenance and not eating at deficit), I guess we are in the minority.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I really wish I could even stick to maintenance those days.

It's one of those things that completely changed when I lost the weight. I had no issues whatsoever keeping my deficit when I was losing, but as soon as I got close to the middle of the healthy BMI range, STARVING 10 days a month. It's not every month but when it happens I could easily gain 5 lbs in a week, it's that bad. I guess it's not normal hunger though, just a very uneasy feeling that I'm not feeling well that goes away after I eat, except that sometimes I have to eat way too much for the feeling to go away.

It starts 7-10 days before my period and goes away on day 3 or 4. I get horribly bloated too for a few days so that usually shuts down my appetite for a bit... but then I can go from 'I can't eat anything' to 'EAT ALL THE FOODS' in like 5 minutes (my friend was making fun of me for that at the New Year's Eve party). Hormones suck.

The thing that's annoying is that people say that I use it as an excuse to stuff my face but I don't even enjoy the food, I just want to stop feeling horrible, lol. Oh and it happens for 2 day around ovulation too.

I'm really not hungry for about a week after that though, and that's the hard part too - I have to be more mindful about what I eat so I can keep a bigger deficit at that time. So even if it's the time when I could indulge in higher calorie treats, I can't really do that either. The struggle is real. I honestly don't know how I would have lost the weight if I had that problem from the start.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I usually go to maintenance (at least) I agree with @Francl27 staying at maintenance during some of the days pre and during is hard enough. If you're struggling I'd say go to maintenance nothing wrong with a pause or break it's only a few days. x
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,118 Member
    I tend to take a couple of maintenance days on the days running up to my period and around ovulation, if I eat a little higher carb and fat than I normally do the cravings tend to dissipate on the 1st or 2nd day and I go back to my deficit. I am fairly sure the appetite increase is also linked to the poor sleep I get just before my period.

I also find now that I am exercising through it a)reduces my cramping and b) keeps me away from the fridge and I don't get as grouchy as I usually do.

@FrancI27 have you tried playing about with your macros and iron intake on the run up to it?
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I really wish I could even stick to maintenance those days.

It's one of those things that completely changed when I lost the weight. I had no issues whatsoever keeping my deficit when I was losing, but as soon as I got close to the middle of the healthy BMI range, STARVING 10 days a month. It's not every month but when it happens I could easily gain 5 lbs in a week, it's that bad. I guess it's not normal hunger though, just a very uneasy feeling that I'm not feeling well that goes away after I eat, except that sometimes I have to eat way too much for the feeling to go away.

It starts 7-10 days before my period and goes away on day 3 or 4. I get horribly bloated too for a few days so that usually shuts down my appetite for a bit... but then I can go from 'I can't eat anything' to 'EAT ALL THE FOODS' in like 5 minutes (my friend was making fun of me for that at the New Year's Eve party). Hormones suck.

The thing that's annoying is that people say that I use it as an excuse to stuff my face but I don't even enjoy the food, I just want to stop feeling horrible, lol. Oh and it happens for 2 day around ovulation too.

I'm really not hungry for about a week after that though, and that's the hard part too - I have to be more mindful about what I eat so I can keep a bigger deficit at that time. So even if it's the time when I could indulge in higher calorie treats, I can't really do that either. The struggle is real. I honestly don't know how I would have lost the weight if I had that problem from the start.

This sounds exactly like me every month. Sucks being a woman sometimes. I'm very jealous of women that don't get any symptoms and just get on with it .
  • I keep up a deficit. Last week though I prett much maintained my weight even on a deficit. I'd feel even worse if I are at maintenance during TOM and my weight went up which it would.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    My cycles are not the same each month. My PMS symptoms can range from nill to seriously affecting my energy levels, moods, pain etc. I also get some symptoms when I ovulate, from lower right ovarian pain, lack of energy etc.

For consistency, I stick to the deficit. But what I will do is alter my calorie choices. The carb craving can get real for me, so I will eat my carbs. I keep exercising through it all, I may been feeling tired, weaker, but it such a mental boost, that I would feel worse if I skipped my workouts.

ETA: I always recommend going to maintenance, there is no need to make yourself feel worse than you do, some women have severe issues with their monthly cycles, some don't, many improve like myself after weight loss and exercise. Find the right balance that works for you.
  • Maintenance for me
  • LizPalen412
    LizPalen412 Posts: 38 Member
    I'm only a couple weeks into this, but I did have my TOM during my first week on MFP and I had a couple days where I either ate at a smaller deficit or ate at maintenance, and in the end, I still had a good loss that week. It all depends on the person, but for me, it seems I do better with a controlled higher-calorie day than continuing to restrict and giving into an unplanned binge.
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    IcelandicBlonde27 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm only a couple weeks into this, but I did have my TOM during my first week on MFP and I had a couple days where I either ate at a smaller deficit or ate at maintenance, and in the end, I still had a good loss that week. It all depends on the person, but for me, it seems I do better with a controlled higher-calorie day than continuing to restrict and giving into an unplanned binge.

I get this too!! Even when I eat at maintenance during my period I still lose 2lb that week when it ends beyond the water weight... so I’m not too concerned with sticking to maintenance. Clearly my body needs it.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    I still stick to my macros while it is TOM. I do take extra iron to help with my anemia which in turns helps with my fatigue.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2018
    If it's only once a month, then do whatever is sustainable. Anything at or below maintenance is still in the right direction. No point being any more miserable than bleeding for days on makes you already. My current period is on week 6 (!) so I am sticking to my deficit... :(
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Wow @speedingticket!!!! Week 6?!?!?!

I personally just kind of go about my day. I don't have any special plan, I don't feel like I have symptoms (other than "the obvious" lol as someone else said) that effect my appetite.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I don’t have periods (thanks, Mirena!) but overall, eating at maintenance for a few days will only cause you to lose a little more slowly. It won’t sabotage your weight loss as long as you go back into a deficit after that. So do what you need to do in order to feel well.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I try my very hardest to stay at my deficit. My periods are long and heavy so if I go off my plan while on it, that's 6-7 days, every three weeks. Grrr! The first day or two I'll eat a little bit more but I try not to indulge in the sweets I want. I add more leafy greens and protein. It does make me feel better. Mentally not so much haha.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Hi! I’m sorry as I’m sure this has been asked before ... but my search bar on here isn’t working :(

So It’s that time again and I am really REALLY struggling to be at deficit without being completely exhausted and starving. I decided to eat maintenance today and will re-evaluate how I feel tomorrow and see if I should eat maintenance for the next 2-3 days until this is over or if I can continue at a deficit.

I’m wondering what other girls on here do?

It doesn’t help that I’m very tall, very active (lately), and under a lot of stress this month. I feel that by eating at maintenance for a couple days I am preventing myself from binge eating, which IMO is worse than stalling weight loss for a couple days.... any suggestions?

I eat the same breakfasts, and shortly before my period starts I am hungry for lunch MUCH earlier. With all other things remaining the same, if my appetite is up, I feel I can safely assume my RMR is up, and eat at maintenance for a few days.

I used to have carb cravings and give in to them, until I realized I was just hungrier, and eating more of regular foods would satisfy this for me.

The above refers to the premenstrual time. Due to large uterine fibroids, I have extremely heavy periods, and would eat extra during my period as well. I'm on my third cycle of Tranexamic Acid, my period hasn't been so light in years, and my appetite is down as well.