Additions to green smoothies to make them more filling!

Hi everyone,

In an effort to get more veggies in as well as for the sheer convenience of blended drinks to sip on in the morning, I’m trying out green smoothies. I already pre-portioned my smoothies in morning bags with a variety of fruits, spinach, kale etc. I had one this morning and added a tablespoon of chia seeds (60 calories). Total calories was 252 (currently each smoothie with chia is 250-300 calories). However, I was ravenous not even two hours later. I think I’ll probably want to add about 60-100 calories into the smoothie to make it more filling. I’m on 1200 a day so I try to save calories for snacking during the day/at night, but I will forego a snack so I’m not starving in the morning! Any suggestions?

And I don’t need any criticism on drinking green smoothies! I get that some people prefer eating their food (and I am usually that way) but this is a means for me to get fruits and veggies in as well as grab and go. I’m trying this out to see if it works for me :)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Avocado and peanut butter are both good in smoothies.

For about 100 cals, you can do 1/2 an avocado or 1 tbsp peanut butter.

You could also do protein powder. 1 scoop is about 120 cals.
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    Chia seeds
    Flax meal
    Hemp hearts
    As these items absorb liquid they get larger, so drink fast!
  • veroniquepoirier
    veroniquepoirier Posts: 39 Member
    I drink my green smoothie every morning since months ! Love them. Don’t care to drink my calories on the morning. I do very green smoothie so not a lot of fruits but it gives me 3 full glasses to slowly drink during the morning at my office. So at home I only drink coffee and at my desk I drink my smoothie. 1 hour before lunch time I always get hungry so I eat a snack ( always the same things, cheese strings and pumkin seeds). I don’t had extra calories to my smoothie but I eat them after as a snack. This is what works the best for me.
  • the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    I occasionally throw in powdered milk for some extra creamy flavor and protein. If you combine that, with regular milk, a half avocado and some protein powder, it’s like a milkshake. Of course veggies to add vitamins and fiber. The avocado really smooths it out.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    2-4 tablespoons of chia seeds or hemp heart seeds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I like smoothies and have them off and on and find them filling. Some people just don't, and you might be one of them.

That said, mine are around 350-450 cal, as that's what a non smoothie breakfast would be for me. Mine also have some fat and some protein in them (again same as any other breakfast). I think those are reasons they are filling.

Some things I add in addition to spinach or kale and berries:

Roasted squash (I chill it and use it cold) -- thickens it up, so it may feel more substantial
    Avocado -- tastes great and adds fat
    Homemade cashew milk -- this includes the cashews, so adds fat
    Flaxseed -- new thing I'm trying, adds fat and a bit of protein, but I don't notice it making it more filling and it adds calories (which might be a good thing)
    Protein powder -- protein makes it more filling and it wouldn't work for me as a breakfast without a good amount of protein
    Water -- keeps it the right texture and I end up with a very significant volume and I think that's why it's filling. How thick you want it is personal taste.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Thank you, everyone! These are some great ideas! I appreciate the input! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Protein, fiber, and fat are filling components, but it's a different combination for everyone.

It sounds like you've got the fiber covered....maybe you could add a scoop of protein powder or some Greek yogurt.

2% or full fat Greek would add fat too. I find that fat gives my meals more staying power.