Questions for vegans/vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm about half tempted to at least try it for a while, but even though I'm pretty confident with my cooking skills, I'm not going to commit, even temporarily, until I learn more about, and get more experience with, vegan meat and dairy alternatives. An enjoyable adventure so far by the way.
  • katijjaa
    katijjaa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for around 4 years on and off. Before that, I was one of those ppl who never gain weight regardless of what I eat. In the beginning, In the beginning, I lost few pounds but with time my metabolism got so slow and even though I started eating healthy vegetarian food (veggies, legumes, green smoothies and lentil) but I would still not lose much weight. Eventually, I had to go back to normal diet because of iron deficiency and also to lose weight. On the other hand, I know someone skinny who told me that she was always overweight till she turned vegan, but also she go to the gym and monitor her food very strictly and she is only 25). I personally believe in vegetarian and vegan diets for moral reasons, but not for weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    ljbs440 wrote: »
    I used to be a vegetarian, since I was 12 and then became pescetarian when I was 30, so now eat fish. The thing you have to be careful of is that you get enough protein as it is harder to do that when you don't eat fish or meat. Protein helps you feel fuller for longer so you could end up eating more carbs etc just to try and fill yourself up. I agree with others, it's not a good idea to do this if the only reason you are doing it is to lose weight. You could try having some meat free days and eating more fruit and veg and see how that goes.

I just have to address this, as it is a false assumption. More protein is NOT satiating for everyone. Luckily, many people on the boards will provide personal examples of what they find satiating so that this myth is not perpetuated. And eating "more" carbs, whatever "more" is, isn't a problem if you are meeting your nutritional goals and your deficit.

Great points.

I am someone who finds carbohydrates to be very satiating. I lost weight while eating lots of carbohydrates (relatively speaking). As long as you are meeting your needs for protein and fat, getting more calories from carbohydrates isn't going to be an obstacle to weight loss (in the context of a calorie deficit).