HELP ME! BUSY MOM + NO RESOURCES!!!

Options
Ok, you've all heard it before. I'm desperately wanting to exercise every single day, but sometimes weather, homework, house duites and children prevent that. What are some easy cardio exercises I can do right in my own home??? Get creative, I'm willing to try it all!!! <3

Replies

• ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Tamilee Webb has some good DVDs for workingout at home. I recommend Jillian Michaels too. If you want to push yourself in a short amount of time to get the most out of your workouts I highly recommend Bodyrock.tv. It's hard but shorter workouts most of the time.
    I'm a homeschooling mother of two and I workout in my own home. Just find some great DVDs that you like and make time for yourself.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Do you have netflix? They have a lot of workout videos on there you can do. YOutube, those healthy magazine websites too.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I can understand how busy it can get at home...cleaning, laundry, kids, etc. I know there are videos online for workouts on youtube. 80% of losing weight is dieting and the rest is exercise. I would also try to walk in the mornings or evenings. I was fortunate enough to buy a treadmill a few years back and finally put some use in it. As long as you are willing to put in some time it will pay off. Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy mum of 3 and i do all my workouts at home, Zumba which I find on youtube...amongst other workouts and recently Jillian Michaels dvds 30 Dy Shred and currently Ripped in 30.

Good luck!
  • starpi22
    starpi22 Posts: 74
    Options
    I try to get creative and use my children to help me exercise, for example I have a three year old and I will use him as a weight :laugh: I will lay down and he will sit across my lap and I will do sit ups and each time I make it up I will give him a high five or I will lay down with my knees bent and push him upwards, he thinks he is an airplane and my legs are getting a killer work out. Also I take care of my 6 year old niece and challenge her to a hula hooping contest, and I use one of those weighted hoops... If you have infants there are some mommy baby workout DVD's out there too. I know these ideas won't work for everyone, but I bet most people would agree that chasing around kids all day is a workout in its self!
  • starpi22
    starpi22 Posts: 74
    Options
    *Sorry - accidentally posted twice*
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Check your cable line up to see if there are any free workout videos. I have exercisetv, which has 30 day shred, 6 week abs, butt bible, yoga, walking video, I can't remember all of them but there's a lot.
  • SimplySonja
    Options
    My favorite is Turbo Jam. it is a beachbody dvd program with Chalene Johnson. She is SUPER motivational and fun. One workout is 20 minutes - others are 40 or 50 minutes. The 20 minute workout combines dance (hip hop) and kenpo. You don't have to be coordinated to do it - I love it and am NOT a dancer.

The music is great on that DVD. If you are interested I can send you a sample video that shows you what it is like. The program is about $40.00.
  • kristenk0826
    Options
    thanks guys!! i'm excited to try out all of your advice. running up and down my stairs gets mundane and a bit loud (lol--plus i bet i look pretty silly too)

I GOTTA LOSE SOME WEIGHT BEFORE I GET MARRIED SEPTEMBER 2 !!!!! is the other thing, lol.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, my husband works away so i can only get to the gym about 4 times a week. I'd love to really train hard but I simply can't. Because I have an only child its only her and me so when i'm home with her its all about being a mum.
    I have found a place where I can hire a bicycle which pulls a little buggy for the child for two hours, going to try that today. that will be one workout.
    I walk ALOT but if ind after a while when you are fit walking doens't help much with weight loss.
    I get really involved, don't just sit and watch at the playground but run and climb on things with her.
    I take her swimming every weekend and as she gets more independent in the water I am able to do lengths, I have even explained to her that mummy wants to exercise (our pool is at the gym so she knows thats where mummy exercises)
    But frequently I am thinking the best way would be to buy a treadmill or ecliptical or something and then just do 30 minutes whenever I can, when she's alseep etc.
    The idea of exercising to dvd's etc is rubbish for me as she would never just go off and play and let me do it, we could do it together kind of I guess could be fun. But not as a serious workout.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels - over in under 30 min and the kids love giving me pointers that keep my form intact. You know, the 'helpful' pointers like 'Mom, your butt is too high' and 'I thought you used the heavier purple weights yesterday?'. They are my own personal trainers.

Mine are also old enough that I can get outside for 30 (oldest watches the youngest) and I started the Couch to 5k program. You can also do that on a treadmill if you have one.

As for the stairs-that's actually really good exercise. Just tell your kids you are testing the structural integrity.
  • kristenk0826
    Options
    I'm doing 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels - over in under 30 min and the kids love giving me pointers that keep my form intact. You know, the 'helpful' pointers like 'Mom, your butt is too high' and 'I thought you used the heavier purple weights yesterday?'. They are my own personal trainers.

I'm loving that, I actually laughed out loud. My son is the exact same way, I love Jillian Michaels and I really really love the idea of working out 30 minutes at a time, that way I don't feel selfish while my kids are sitting there looking at me crazy, lol. thanks again, I'm really excited to try some of this stuff!