Help with stones to pounds conversion?

Options
SophiaJane81
SophiaJane81 Posts: 40 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I am from the UK so I typically have used stones and pounds but now most programs I use is in Pounds. So I am using a calculator online to convert stones to pound's.

My confusion is the calculations seem grossly different.

So I was 13 stones and 10 pounds which converts to 183.4 pounds.

But after losing weight I am now at
13 stone 8 pounds but the calculator converts it to 193.2.

So I am totally confused and have no idea what I am in pounds. Can someone please help?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    13x14 is 182 pounds. So at 13 stone 10 you were 192 pounds. 13 stone 8 would be 190 pounds. I think you were calculating the additional pounds as decimals (13.10 and 13.8, which is why the latter showed up higher).

I’m American and any time someone is referring to their weight as stones I just use the calculator on my phone or mentally figure it out.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    table Iv looked at shows that 13st 10 is 192lbs and 13st 8 is 190lbs
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    i have no idea why the coverter on google gives what it gave you but did the same to me.
    this is the chart I use

http://www.occupationalhealth.co.uk/WeightConversion.htm
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://www.occupationalhealth.co.uk/WeightConversion.htm

problem is its working out 13.8 x 14 to give you 193.2, when it should be 13 x 14 + 8 = 190. On the plus side you're lighter than the most recent calculation says, however your original weight of 13 stone 10 lbs was 192lbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Getting fractions of a pound shows me either you or your converter are confused by thinking stones and pounds are decimal. They aren't, stones are base 14 not base 10.

13 stone 8lbs isn't 13.8 stone.
    It's 13 stone plus 8lbs not 13 stone plus eighth tenths of a stone.
    (The 8lbs is eight fourteenths, not 8 tenths.)

Just do the very simple maths (stones x 14 + lbs) or use a converter that allows you to enter the stones and pounds separately.

13st 10lbs is (13 x 14) + 10 = 192lbs
    13st 8lbs is (13 x 14) + 8 = 190lbs
  • SophiaJane81
    Options
    Ahhhhh haaaaaa thank you soooooo much. Makes so much sense now.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Doctors in the UK use kg. Why not get rid of these complicated stones alltogether and use something more convenient?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    There are 14lbs in a stone.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Doctors in the UK use kg. Why not get rid of these complicated stones alltogether and use something more convenient?

^^ :smiley: yeah plus it sounds better as its a much smaller number :smiley:
  • yirara
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

It's almost like people have personal preferences isn't it? ;)

There is a benefit in embracing complication rather than avoidance - do you ever notice how much more comfortable and adept middle-aged and upwards Brits often are with mental maths than latter generations who grew up being taught only decimal units while using calculators?

No idea to be honest as I'm not British, and a scientist. I have no problems though to calculate volumes based on horizotal metric measurements and vertical imperial (don't ask. Yes, it's common in my industry).
  • yirara
    Options

Mine uses stones and lbs. And convenient is subject.

Interesting! I have yet to see scales at a doctor that runs in anything other than kg.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think it's an age thing, I'm 35 and I use stone and pounds although I roughly know kg and can calculate pounds easily now I'm used to using this predominately US site. People under 30 at work tend to only know kg, I speak to my doctor in stone and pounds but she officially documents my weight in kg. Most UK doctors will be fluent in stones and pounds and kg when talking to patients about weight. We're a strange mix in this country of using imperial and metric, pints in pubs, miles on roads and stones in weight for most however everyone uses grams, litres and centimeters in most shops. ;)

I'm glad the OP got to the bottom of her problem though that the converter was using the pounds as a decimal of stone rather than an additional unit of pounds so 13.8 stone and 13.1 stone.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

There is a benefit in embracing complication rather than avoidance - do you ever notice how much more comfortable and adept middle-aged and upwards Brits often are with mental maths than latter generations who grew up being taught only decimal units while using calculators?

As a middle-aged Brit, you've just made my day. Thank you :)

ETA - though I think my mental maths skills came from too much time spent at the dartboard in the local pub as a teenager.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/stones-to-pounds.htm
    Your first number was wrong. I tried a couple of calculators and that one has a place for stones and pounds so maybe less confusing than the one you used? Or just multiply your stones by 14 and add the pounds yourself.
  • SophiaJane81
    Options

Thank you. I am 36 and just grew up with stones and pound's. I think it is an age thing.
    I think it's an age thing, I'm 35 and I use stone and pounds although I roughly know kg and can calculate pounds easily now I'm used to using this predominately US site. People under 30 at work tend to only know kg, I speak to my doctor in stone and pounds but she officially documents my weight in kg. Most UK doctors will be fluent in stones and pounds and kg when talking to patients about weight. We're a strange mix in this country of using imperial and metric, pints in pubs, miles on roads and stones in weight for most however everyone uses grams, litres and centimeters in most shops. ;)

I'm glad the OP got to the bottom of her problem though that the converter was using the pounds as a decimal of stone rather than an additional unit of pounds so 13.8 stone and 13.1 stone.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

No idea to be honest as I'm not British, and a scientist. I have no problems though to calculate volumes based on horizotal metric measurements and vertical imperial (don't ask. Yes, it's common in my industry).

I was born in 1960 so part of the pre-decimalisation generation in the UK.
    Equally comfortable with a plethora of different units and like many I use a whole variety.
    l always think of my weight in stone but the weights I lift in the gym are in kg.
    BTW - my Doctor's scales like my own bathroom scales can switch between stones/pounds, pounds or kilos.

The overuse of calculators and online converters can mean people don't recognise what should be clearly false answers.

Anyway time to get off my hobby horse and get to the gym. Despite the 6C temperatures or is it 42.8F (6 x 2 -10% + 32) I'll be cycling the 3km to the gym at 15mph and will drink 750ml of water while hoping we don't get an inch of rain......
    :smiley:

This one's easy for me to visualize without translating in my head. I just picture a bottle of wine!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Senior aged American here.

We still use pounds and inches in the States depite the near universsl adoption of the metric system world wide.

Guess we're just stubborn and stuck in our ways. It also a matter of habit and not being forced to do otherwise.

If you grew up w/a certain system, you learn to "think" in that system. Same thing applies to languages.

I just "think" in terms of inches and pounds which I grew up using over 67 years on this planet.

However, I've been forced to convert inchs to cm and lbs to kg so often, I know the conversion factors for them (2.54 and 2.2) by heart now but, in order to start thinking in cm/kg, I would have to be forced to use those measurements daily, just like I start thinking in Spanish after a couple of weeks, when I'm vacationing in Mexico.

"Stones" are another matter. LOL! ;)