Struggling!

Options
Hello
I am a really healthy eater, my problem is the wine that I thoroughly enjoy every night. Not a bottle, a glass or 2. I can not find anything else that I enjoy as much. I drink 2-3 litres of water every day, use different flavours. The last thing I feel like is more water in the evening. I don’t even think it’s the alcohol, although it does relax me somewhat, but the flavour. Juices are full of sugar so I’m not sure which is worse, wine or juice. I know it’s hindering my weight loss. Any ideas? I really need some motivation and support. This is the 1st time I’ve reached out, just don’t feel good about the way I look and feel . Thanks everyone!

Replies

• aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Here’s a chart I found online. Not sure what type of wine you like but maybe you can try some of the lower calorie options and maybe limit yourself to only one glass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+calorie+wine&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=rUHNfaWcWPqcWM:
  • tmaure
    tmaure Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I do drink the low alcohol content red wine. I guess I’ll just have to use more self control.

Thanks,
  • tenementtilly
    tenementtilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its a hard one! Ive stopped drinking unless I'm out - I dont drink in the house and if I'm going out, like last night I watch my intake to balance the calories in wine...apparently gin with slimline tonic is 56 cals? maybe worth a bash?
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time That thread may be helpful.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sooner or later weight loss becomes about limits. I’m constantly feeling around in the dark for that place between a reasonable limit and deprived.

You say the wine hinders your weight loss. I experienced the same. But does it prevent any kind of loss? You say you drink 1 or 2 glasses. But how much is that? I really did go shopping for smaller wine glasses. It helped. 1/2 a glass in the giant goblets I started with was 6+ oz. it was an invitation to drink more.

If you’re still losing on your current plan, maybe you should consider rethinking your expectations and live with the longer trendline. If you aren’t losing, you need to find some calories to cut.

Note: I don’t think wine calories are quite the same as some others. Even hitting my numbers, wine seemed to slow down my losses.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I was successful at losing weight while enjoying a glass of merlot almost every night. The key for me was making it fit into my daily calorie allowance, which just took a little planning. I also measured the amount of wine, keeping the serving size to around 7 ounces. I believe I'll enjoy this little indulgence for the rest of my life, I like the ritual of finishing off the evening, it hasn't slowed down my weight loss, and it's all about moderation.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Just include it in your daily calories? I like a glass of wine with dinner most nights, and just include it in my daily count.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    tmaure wrote: »
    Hello
    I am a really healthy eater, my problem is the wine that I thoroughly enjoy every night. Not a bottle, a glass or 2. I can not find anything else that I enjoy as much. I drink 2-3 litres of water every day, use different flavours. The last thing I feel like is more water in the evening. I don’t even think it’s the alcohol, although it does relax me somewhat, but the flavour. Juices are full of sugar so I’m not sure which is worse, wine or juice. I know it’s hindering my weight loss. Any ideas? I really need some motivation and support. This is the 1st time I’ve reached out, just don’t feel good about the way I look and feel . Thanks everyone!

It might not be hindering your weight loss. Are you logging the wine and still staying at your calorie goal?

Have you ever measured out your pour? I found 5 oz of wine didn't look like what I thought it did until I poured it into a measuring cup and then into my wine glass :lol: Make sure you really are drinking 1 or 2 glasses.

How is your logging otherwise? If you've never seen it, this is an awesome post on how to get the most out of your MFP food log http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Having said that, if you are struggling to hit your calorie goal consistently, alcohol is one of the easiest ways to make a difference. When I was actively trying to lose, I only had a glass of wine or a beer 2 or 3 nights a week, otherwise I was either hungry or over my goal. Maybe start by limiting yourself to just the one glass per night and go from there. Good luck!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other suggestions. Getting a really nice wine glass thats smaller might not seem like a real solution but the mind is easily tricked at times. I will help you knowing you can't fill it to the rim for each glass but you will still have the feeling on having the one glass and maybe that second one just to help end the day. Also, log it, first thing each day. Sometimes just knowing that you are going to have it and can manage all your other meals without the guilt. It also gives you total control over seeing how you manage your eating.

I was never willing to give up my coffee, my first recipe on MFP was for My Coffee - the way I drink it! Everything else was going to have to work around it.
    I also have a really cute little bowl and spoon for my ice cream - only holds about a 1/2 cup :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    While I agree with others who say wine is a good place to cut when you're trying to lose weight, I also believe that it's important to learn how to enjoy the things you love within the limits you have.

If you plan to continue to drink wine after you finish losing weight I'd encourage you to practice fitting it into your calories. Maybe try cutting back to less each night or choosing to drink it on days when you really need to wind down. I get that you enjoy the taste, I do as well and will probably always drink it. But I have learned to drink less and/or less often so that it doesn't prevent me from achieving my goals.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Can you try flavored waters? I really like Spindrift fruit water. It's 10 calories. It has real fruit and mixes well with wine so I half my consumption. Hint and LaCroix also have a loyal following.

Ref:
    https://spindriftfresh.com/where-to-buy/
    https://www.drinkhint.com/store-locator
    http://www.lacroixwater.com/find-a-retailer/
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I'm in same boat. Thing with wine is that it does affect thinking no matter what and I'm always tempted to snack with wine. I used to factor in calories from wine.... then you're replacing food calories with wine calories and that's not good! I used to also try to excuse them away through my additional "exercise calories" I earned.... then I read a good article that essentially alleged that alcohol affects how your body processes all sugars. I've cut it out completely and am rapidly losing the weight I want, where before it was a discouraging slow go (I'm eating exactly the same way as before!) I found really interesting teas for the evening. I LOVE some alcohol-free sparkling wines on the market. A virgin Caesar is a great option (made the right way, you'd never know there was no alcohol!) I'm amazed at the quantity, diversity and quality of alcohol free options that have been added to the market in just the last 7 years (when I was pregnant). And 23 years ago there was one option on the shelves.... a disgusting alcohol free wine
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,085 Member
    Options
    I'm in same boat. Thing with wine is that it does affect thinking no matter what and I'm always tempted to snack with wine. I used to factor in calories from wine.... then you're replacing food calories with wine calories and that's not good! I used to also try to excuse them away through my additional "exercise calories" I earned.... then I read a good article that essentially alleged that alcohol affects how your body processes all sugars. I've cut it out completely and am rapidly losing the weight I want, where before it was a discouraging slow go (I'm eating exactly the same way as before!) I found really interesting teas for the evening. I LOVE some alcohol-free sparkling wines on the market. A virgin Caesar is a great option (made the right way, you'd never know there was no alcohol!) I'm amazed at the quantity, diversity and quality of alcohol free options that have been added to the market in just the last 7 years (when I was pregnant). And 23 years ago there was one option on the shelves.... a disgusting alcohol free wine

Could you list some of the teas/alcohol-free sparkling wines you've discovered? Thanks! :)