Weight gain

Options
Hi I've gained 8lb in 12 days. I'm weighing everything. I've started an app that gets you running. You do 3 times a week building up. I'm loving it but hate the weight. I'm using same scale same time. I'm 110 days smoke free too. Help please thanks x

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely water weight gain from starting new exercise. Once your body gets used to the new routine, it will shed much of the water weight that is there now to protect the muscles and aid in recovery.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being smoke free - I'm working on that one myself. @erickirb is right: starting a new form of exercise often leads to water retention and it can take a little while for that to drop. Keep in mind that you are still losing fat if you are in a calorie deficit, even though the scale isn't moving. You'll see it on the scale eventually if you're patient. Good luck - you can do this!
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Agree with the two previous answers, also if I can add something : are you calculating your sodium intake? Maybe you could try to cut it a little and see if the water weight sheds off more easily.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's impossible to gain 8 pounds of fat in 12 days. You either haven't been pooping (eat more fiber), or you are retaining a lot of water (drink more water).

Weigh yourself 3 times in a row, if the scale reports more than a 1/2 pound variance between them, get a new one.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. If you are logging accurately and in deficit the weight will take care of itself. Just stay with the plan.