I quit drinking

Options
Hi all,
I quit drinking. Not totally to lose weight. I am attending an AA meeting tonight. That should tell you more. It's going to be hard but I had to do it.
It will interesting to see how much weight I lose and how fast. Drinking has been such a part of my life for so long. I want to be healthy and happy.
Anyone else want to share on this?

Replies

• dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm trying to keep off of alcohol or cut way back. Add me if you like.
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congrats Christy!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a request! Congrats on taking the step. :) And if you're looking for an online support group too and haven't found it already, come join us over at the r/stopdrinking sub on Reddit! (Very understanding and supportive group with a ton of members)

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a request! Congrats on taking the step. :) And if you're looking for an online support group too and haven't found it already, come join us over at the r/stopdrinking sub on Reddit! (Very understanding and supportive group with a ton of members)

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/

I joined. Thanks for the advice on this group.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's a great first step. I work with people in recovery from addiction, I know how hard it can be.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Quit just over a month ago. By choice, but I still had to do it. I had been drinking regularly since my late teens (I'm 33 now). It was not helping my life and my health goals.. The resulting weight loss has been a great benefit. Keep it up!!
  • veroniquepoirier
    veroniquepoirier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I think the hardest part is realizing that I am a flawed person. Why can other people have a drink or 2 and be done but I can't. More is better...I know it's not but that's how I felt. I asked someone at AA last night. Why? She said because you are an Alcoholic and they aren't. Didn't help much but I get it, sort of. My life is going to have to change drastically. No more wine tasting, no more sitting at bars with a glass of wine and appetizers, etc...things we did on a regular basis.
    I started running a few weeks ago. Maybe my energies will go to that. I just don't know. Today is day5.

No more hang over, no more shame, no more memorie lost, no more stupid actions, no more regrets.

You are making a great deal there ! Hang to it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I think the hardest part is realizing that I am a flawed person. Why can other people have a drink or 2 and be done but I can't. More is better...I know it's not but that's how I felt. I asked someone at AA last night. Why? She said because you are an Alcoholic and they aren't. Didn't help much but I get it, sort of. My life is going to have to change drastically. No more wine tasting, no more sitting at bars with a glass of wine and appetizers, etc...things we did on a regular basis.
    I started running a few weeks ago. Maybe my energies will go to that. I just don't know. Today is day5.

Allen Carr maintains that every single person who drinks questions their drinking at some point. Yes -- every single person who drinks. I recommend his book The Easy Way to Control Alcohol. It is not the AA model at all. He doesn't believe people are "in recovery" for the rest of their lives. Once you quit, you're done. Anyway, the book was life changing for me. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since 8/29/13.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking a few years back, it wasn't doing me any favors. My health is so much better, and it's easy to maintain my weight loss now. When I was still drinking I had to really juggle my drinking and my food to keep at a healthy weight.

You'll never be sorry that you DIDN'T have a drink last night.

Mmmm. Sober sleep. It's the best. :) Congrats on this great decision.