I haven’t seen changes

Options
Hi, I’m new here and I’ve been working out and changed my diet for 2 weeks now. I’m 5’7 and weigh 188lbs and I’m 19. I have cut down on carbs as much as possible and been eating more protein and veggies. Not a lot of fruits. I haven’t lost weight (about 1 lbs) in 2 weeks. I do cardio every day for at least 45 mins and sometimes an hour on the elliptical. Not so much strength work outs since I want to shed some lbs first. Any suggestions? Also I don’t completely eat all the calories this app suggest about 1,664 cals.

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Don't expect any significant, visible changes for at least the first 3 weeks. Weight fluctuations due to water weight are too large and random to notice any significant weight loss over such a short time period.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to be patient. It's only been 2 weeks. And if you have lost 1 pound in 2 weeks then you have lost weight. If I were you I wouldn't worry about carbs, just eat foods you like that fit your goal. And I wouldn't go overboard on the exercise. Find an exercise routine that you enjoy and that you will be able to stick with and have at least 1 rest day per week.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Not so much strength work outs since I want to shed some lbs first. Any suggestions?

In my opinion, Strength training should prioritize over cardio because lean muscle mass is going to burn more calories over time than cardio ever will. It will also result in better physical appearance in the end because you'll retain more muscle.

I am 40 pounds down with 32 pounds to go and I still barely notice any visible change. It's so gradual you just get use to the new you and don't see the changes. 2 weeks is a very short amount of time, some people don't lose anything for the first month. Drink more water, you are probably retaining water due to new exercises and the best way to cure that is to drink more water.

Calories are all that matter for weight loss, things like carbs/sugar do not need to be monitored unless you have a health issue. However, protein will make you feel full longer and help you maintain muscle.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ogmo5ebln6rj.jpg
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Log your intake as accurately as possible with a digital food scale and be patient. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and be patient. It will work out!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Give it some time! I waited 3 weeks before my first weigh in. In the mean time, make sure you are logging your food as accurately as possible. Get a food scale and log every single thing that you eat or drink. I would highly recommend adding some strength training in to your routine to help preserve some muscle while you are losing.
  • sokie88
    sokie88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, make sure you're logging correctly. Snacks can add up. Drink tons of water, like 3Ls a day if you can, this will help flush things out even if you have to go pee every 10 mins. It also makes you less hungry as some hunger pangs are actually thirst pangs. Being female,have you may also be retaining water at points in your cycle. Keep this in mind, so just continue with it and be diligent, it will come. Eat foods you love in moderation. You can still have carbs if you are within your caloric intake for the day. I like to plan my food out entire day out first so i know what i can eat. This leaves less room for snacking mindlessly and to stay on track. You can do it! And good for you for doing this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Two words...

TWO WEEKS
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Must echo the other posters preaching patience, especially if you've increased your amount of exercise in parallel to changing your nutrition as worked muscles will retain glycogen and water inflating your scale weight. It's generally advised to weight three weeks to see if any changes made are being effective, anything less than that is just too small of a sample size. I've also seen it advised that women stick with something for six weeks to include a full monthly cycle, which can also impact weight retention/fluctuations. Overall, trust the process; if you're in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight.

General Advice:
    This will be a long, on-going process; don't make it longer by trying to make unsustainable changes that you have trouble sticking to.
    Fostering good habits and breaking yourself of bad habits is better than any "hack" or "quick-fix" you'll find.
    Be honest with yourself and log everything accurately, everyday.
    Invest in a food scale and use it to log calories as accurately as possible, labels and volumetric serving sizes can be inaccurate.
    Create your caloric deficit with your diet, don't rely on exercise to create that deficit.
    Do exercise that you like, that helps get you the physique you want, or helps make you better at other activities.

Loss rate expectations:
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal (750 cal/day deficit)
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal (500 cal/day deficit)
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal (250-500 cal/day deficit)
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal (250 cal/day deficit)
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your expectations seem a bit unrealistic. Two weeks is not enough time. Weight loss is not linear there will be times even though you are doing everything perfect that the scale won’t show it, you just have to be patient and give it time. you may also want to take measurements besides just the scale, but even for this you need to give it more than two weeks. If you are truly tracking and weighing everything you eat the weight loss will come. Again patience will be needed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What exactly did you expect to see in 2 weeks?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What is that saying, patience is a virtue? Remember, you didn't gain the weight in two weeks. You certainly can't expect to lose it in two weeks either.

This is a process and it takes time. If you are accurate in your food logging (meaning logging everything you consume, choosing accurate entries in the database, weighing your solid foods in grams and measuring your liquids using cups and spoons) and you are staying within your calorie goals, you will lose weight.