Feelings on Galloways way of running? Marathon Running

Options
Im signed up for a Marathon on May 6th 2012. I have been reading up on different ways of getting through marathons and I keep ending up hearing about Galloways way of running marathons. (Taking walking breaks during the marathon from early on to perform better throughout the marathon. ) What info and feelings do you guys have about this? Any info, hints or tips for me? Im new to running competatively, and although I want to be fast in this marathon, I want to complete it. My first marathon is not going to be on speed or anything, I just want to get through it since im new to this. Thanks guys!!!

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    No help guys?
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and what you're goals are in the marathon. My mom used it when completing her first marathon. I once did an 8 mile run with a group that used this method (7:30 running, :30 walking) and I didn't like the way that it disrupts my rhythm. I didn't run any faster overall and I didn't like having to start and stop every mile. For me, I like settling into a pace and hammering out the miles. Since you have plenty of time before your marathon, you have plenty of time to experiment with it and see if you like it. I can see where it can be effective for a new runner since it kind of breaks up the race into segments so that you don't think about running 26.2 miles straight . What kind of training do you plan on doing for the marathon? What's your running history?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I do a variation of Jeff Galloway's method and am currently training for a half marathon in October...but I sometimes struggle with forcing myself to insert walking breaks (even though I have proven to myself that the walk breaks help me run for longer time/distance overall--last weekend I ran 8 miles and only took 1 minute walk breaks after every 1 or 2 miles). I know several people who use his method rigorously and swear by it.

Galloway does recommend NOT going for a time goal for your first half or full marathon, just training to finish.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Right now I am following a generic marathon training program (3 runs, 1 long run, 2 days off and a crosstrain day) but I was just wondering about Galloways way of doing a marathon, so I was wondering what peoples opinions were. I was wondering because it is nerve wracking running 26 miles to me, and I was wondering if that braks it up to make it not seem so daunting. I am a new runner, but I love it, I cant get enough of it. So, im just trying to understand everything and make informed decisions about my training while I still have enough time to try out. I wont be running for time on this race, but if I could get under 4 hours I will be a happy camper. This is a qualifying marathon for the Boston Marathon, so if I can get it under 3 hours 35 mins that would awesome so I could get into Boston, but ill be happy to just get through it if I dont.
  • djmi1
    djmi1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For my 2nd marathon, I ran the Galloway method for the first 20 miles. I was walking 30 to 60 sec every 10 minutes and fly the last 10k. Strongly recommend this technique.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've not done a full marathon - that's January of 2012 but I plan to do run/walk intervals. I've done those for all of my half marathons but one (I ran the entire Fiesta Bowl half out here in AZ). My PR for a half was at a 10/2 interval. Not that it was speedy (2:17) but it is the fastest I've covered the 13 miles. I find the walk breaks make it way easier to focus on my runs and, to be fair, I also train this way (now I'm going for 9/1 because then it's a multiple of 10!) because I run with one of my dogs and she gets watered every 10 minutes or so to keep her from overheating!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - Gallowalking is a survival technique for the undertrained.

It all depends on what your goals are, if you want to check "I completed a marathon" box it may serve you well. If you want to run and race marathons, then perhaps not.

Personally, I hate stopping during my runs (too hard to get started again). That said, I have a friend who was a pretty fast runner (qualified for Boston a few times) he used to walk for ~ 20 seconds at the start of each mile. He found using different muscles was helpful for him.

Bottom line, give it a try and see what is best for you.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband has run 30 miles in a single run with the Galloway method. (He finally gave up running marathons after his third marathon with leg cramps.) I have used a lot of Galloway's training suggestions but I do not incorporate walking. I understand the walking is a way to prevent injury and run longer, but I just dont find it "fun" to keep stopping periodically for the walk breaks. I'd rather run straight through. But Galloway has a lot of great ideas about training and I definitely recommend his books. 26.2 miles is a daunting number of miles, so prepare yourself mentally and physically.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Having done only one marathon, but reading a lot about Galloway, I still haven't formed a stron opinion either way. I have a couple friends that use his method and it helps them just to be able to complete thier long runs.
    Personally I haven't tried the walking thing on a regular basis, as I think it would drive me nuts trying to stop and start all the time. But with some of the trail running i do, hitting a hill that's too steep forces you to walk up it, and then you have to get going again. It seems differernt, to walk because you have to VS walking because its scheduled.

My best suggestion is to try it for yourself, there is plenty of time for you to figure out what you like.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For most runner try to BQ, Galloway is not the training method of choice.

To the OP: to run a 3:35, you should be able to run a 1:40 (or better) for a half and a 5K under 22:00 (~ 7:00 pace).

Unless you have some serious wheels (faster than the above times) I wouldn't try to BQ until you have one under your belt.

Just my $.02 after 23 marathons including Boston.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful, but I am about 4:45 marathoner. I don't use Galloway's exact time table, but I use a run/walk interval of 6 min run / 1 min walk and my pace is 10-11min/mile. I think it is particularly helpful for runners who are ~ 10min pace and slower. The walk intervals make for a good opportunity to drink, eat, etc. Sometimes during races I end up skipping about 1/3 of the walk breaks, which is OK too and even Galloway thinks it's fine to do so if you think you have the energy.

I know a woman who started on a similar run/walk interval and within 3 years she was easily qualifying for Boston. Of course, she no longer needs to use any walk breaks, but suspect she has hit the genetic lottery :)