Losing weight by a certain date.

Options
I want to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain date. Can this program figure out my calories per day needed to accomplish such a goal?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I want to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain date. Can this program figure out my calories per day needed to accomplish such a goal?

The problem with such a goal is that weight loss really isn't linear, but a general trend over time. So while you can establish a calorie goal to lose X Lbs per week, that really isn't going to happen week to week...week to week you're going to have smaller losses, bigger losses, no losses, gains, etc.

If you start now though, you will be better off by whatever date than if you didn't start at all.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You can set MFP to a goal of how many lbs per week you need to lose and then it will figure out your calories. So you just need to figure out how many lbs a week you need to lose to get there in time. MFP won't let you set more than 2 lbs per week as that is generally too aggressive and not healthy (although some people who are very obese can lose weight faster).
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight loss, regardless of calculations, is not linear. Things happen. You retain water, your body needs a few "catch-up" days, whatever. My suggestion is to set your goal weight, follow the MFP calorie recommendations, aim to lose up to 2 pounds a week (less if you don't have much to lose), move more, and let the weight take care of itself. You can't force it to come off on a given schedule.
  • OspreyRose5
    OspreyRose5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all. I do realize that one can't absolutely make such things happen in linear fashion, that's one of the reasons I posted this question. I'm losing, but definitely not linear, and no it's no 50 lbs, about 10-15 is all. But I think the calorie set is too high because I'm sticking with it but still not losing that well. I'll try the suggestions above. Thank you.
  • OspreyRose5
    OspreyRose5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So the supertracker is great! Thank you for that. I wish I could interface it with MFP! But it sure helps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

How many pounds to lose/how many weeks to lose it. Then adjust your settings closest to the rate of loss you are looking for. Adjust as needed.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you, all. I do realize that one can't absolutely make such things happen in linear fashion, that's one of the reasons I posted this question. I'm losing, but definitely not linear, and no it's no 50 lbs, about 10-15 is all. But I think the calorie set is too high because I'm sticking with it but still not losing that well. I'll try the suggestions above. Thank you.

The closer a person is to their goal, the more difficult it is to achieve a significant deficit. You need to cut 500 from your maintenance calories each day to lose 1 lb/week, and if you are already a healthy weight, your maintenance calories may not be very high to begin with. MFP will not give you anything less than 1200 calories, because that is the minimum recommended for adequate nutrition. So you can pick 2 lbs/week, but will still only get 1200 calories, even though a 1000 calorie deficit might require you to eat 800. Eating that little would be foolish and endanger your health. Also, the closer you are to your goal weight, the more precise your tracking has to be. Most people find it a real challenge to lose the last 10-15 lbs, and it isn't something that readily lends itself to a timetable.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    So the supertracker is great! Thank you for that. I wish I could interface it with MFP! But it sure helps.

It's one of my favorite tools - simple, but it definitely compliments MFP. There's a lot of great information here, but sometimes you just want to play with numbers. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Then you should be aiming for 0.5lb per week, maybe 1lb for the first couple of pounds.

Vanity pounds are hard, you have to be accurate and patient.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

When you are close to goal weight loss is slow. Are you expecting to lose more than 1/2 pound a week?

That 1/2 pound is hard to see with natural water weight fluctuations going on (sodium, sore muscles, hormones) even your bathroom trips (or lack thereof) can "cancel" out an expected loss.