Can someone tell me how many calories is in Great Value Olive Oil No stick Spray?

Options
I am trying to narrow down why I am not losing weight on 1100-1200 cals/day with exercise and its now down to the olive oil spray...I am thinking I spray too much on my veggies...

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    They can label it zero calories because it has less than 5 calories per serving and they make their servings small enough to get away with it. In reality it's about 7 calories per 1 second spray. Depending on how much you use, it can definitely add up.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will keep that in mind from now on and try to come up with an alternative because I am trying to let go of cooking oil in general.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    You could weigh the pan (or the dish of veggies -- not clear if you're using it for cooking or just spraying it on veggies that are ready to eat) before and after you spray it, and log the weight as olive oil, since that's what it claims to be. If you're not spraying enough to register as a gram on the scale, I doubt that the cooking spray is the reason you're not losing weight (unless you're using the spray a hundred times a day).

• JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I put some EVOO in a spray bottle and weighed out 5 sprays as 1 gram. Not the same as what you are using but you get the drift. 1 gram is 9 calories
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to "let go" of cooking oil?

I use a couple or three full servings of fat per day. 200 calories or so, all told. You need fats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you weight all other solids you eat and measure the liquids?

If not you may be ingesting a lot more cals than the 1100-1200 you think you are.
  • fatal_degree
    fatal_degree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about those cans too. Why can't they just put the total volume calories on the can?! At least that way I can divide the total across the average number of meals I use it on. I mostly use it for airpopped popcorn, to get salt to stick.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about those cans too. Why can't they just put the total volume calories on the can?! At least that way I can divide the total across the average number of meals I use it on. I mostly use it for airpopped popcorn, to get salt to stick.

You can figure it out, actually. A can is 5 oz, so 5 oz of olive oil is about 1255 cal.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fat is fat, 9 calories per gram. Put your cool skillet on the scale, tare it, spray your oil. Record your weight of oil. Just do that once, as your spraying is going to be consistent.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Fat is fat, 9 calories per gram. Put your cool skillet on the scale, tare it, spray your oil. Record your weight of oil. Just do that once, as your spraying is going to be consistent.

It is??
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Do you weight all other solids you eat and measure the liquids?

If not you may be ingesting a lot more cals than the 1100-1200 you think you are.

Yeah I weigh everything I eat to a tee so its definitely not the food.