I've lost 40 pounds with 32 to go, but I think I need to adjust my goal

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
6'1" male, went from 252 to 212 with a goal of 180. Lost multiple inches everywhere, but my gut is still big at 41" and I still have a lot of fat everywhere. My weight loss has been a mixture of diet, exercising, and lifting. Online body fat % tests put me at about 30% prior to my weight loss, and they still put me at 30%. Doesn't make sense to me?

At 188 I will fall under normal BMI, so I thought 180 would be a good goal. However, according to a couple websites the ideal weight for a 6'1" man is about 165 pounds but that seems really low compared to all my 6" friends who look great.

I'd say I look only 1/3 of the way there. Realistically I think I have closer to 50 more pounds to lose before I'll be happy. Perhaps these next 32 pounds are going to do a lot more than the first 40?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're too far away to worry about a final goal too much. It remains to be seen what you'll look like then. Just keep working and see how you look and feel as you go.

Regarding strength training, I'd recommend starting sooner rather than later.
  • batorkin
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd say you're too far away to worry about a final goal too much. It remains to be seen what you'll look like then. Just keep working and see how you look and feel as you go.

I got to 188 back in 2012 and my gut was still 40" according to my past data. I must either have next to no muscle mass and/or a small frame because I still had a lot of fat at "normal BMI". Ultimately, I lost all motivation back then because I expected to be skinny at that weight. Dumb mistake on my part, should have kept going.

I've been strength training the entire time.

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight as far as bmi goes is a range, not a specific number. For a 6'1" man it's between roughly 165-200lbs.
    180 seems like a great goal. My advice is to make sure you're following a progressive lifting plan so you can hold onto as much muscle as possible on your way down.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're too far away to worry about a final goal too much.

He's half way there. There's nothing wrong with looking toward the finish line.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    6'1" male, went from 252 to 212 with a goal of 180. Lost multiple inches everywhere, but my gut is still big at 41" and I still have a lot of fat everywhere. My weight loss has been a mixture of diet, exercising, and lifting. Online body fat % tests put me at about 30% prior to my weight loss, and they still put me at 30%. Doesn't make sense to me?

At 188 I will fall under normal BMI, so I thought 180 would be a good goal. However, according to a couple websites the ideal weight for a 6'1" man is about 165 pounds but that seems really low compared to all my 6" friends who look great.

I'd say I look only 1/3 of the way there. Realistically I think I have closer to 50 more pounds to lose before I'll be happy. Perhaps these next 32 pounds are going to do a lot more than the first 40?

Not sure what you are using for on-line BF calculators, but if you lost 40 Lbs, you lost BF.

There really isn't such a thing as "ideal weight"...your body weight is comprised of many things, not just fat. I'm 5'10" and 180 and I'm not fat...I'm not super lean, but I'm not fat either...about 15% BF. at 165 I'd be lean AF which isn't remotely necessary and I would look ill.

You will most likely see more drastic changes with your next 32 Lbs...I lost a total of 40 Lbs and my most drastic physical changes came with the last 10-15 Lbs.

Don't worry about any particular number as a goal...just assess and reassess things as you go...I always thought having a particular number as a goal was a bit odd considering I had know idea how I'd look at some particular number.
  • batorkin
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Not sure what you are using for on-line BF calculators, but if you lost 40 Lbs, you lost BF.

There really isn't such a thing as "ideal weight"...your body weight is comprised of many things, not just fat. I'm 5'10" and 180 and I'm not fat...I'm not super lean, but I'm not fat either...about 15% BF. at 165 I'd be lean AF which isn't remotely necessary and I would look ill.

You will most likely see more drastic changes with your next 32 Lbs...I lost a total of 40 Lbs and my most drastic physical changes came with the last 10-15 Lbs.

Don't worry about any particular number as a goal...just assess and reassess things as you go...I always thought having a particular number as a goal was a bit odd considering I had know idea how I'd look at some particular number.

Thank you, my first time losing weight I went from 219 to 188 with just dieting and I didn't like the results so I gained it back slowly. This time I am exercising and lifting as well, and my gut is almost the same size it was at 188, but I am 211. Must mean I am losing more fat instead of muscle this time around.

I'll keep doing what I am doing and hopefully the next 20 pounds or so will make a big difference, otherwise I will probably readjust my goal down to 170 or so.

• ladyhusker39
    Options

I got to 188 back in 2012 and my gut was still 40" according to my past data, so it'll probably be the same. I must either have next to no muscle mass and/or a small frame because I still had a lot of fat at "normal BMI". Ultimately, I lost all motivation back then because I expected to be skinny at that weight. Dumb mistake on my part, should have kept going.

I've been strength training the entire time.

Sorry about the weight lifting part. I think that might have still been in my head from another post I was reading.

I lost 35 lbs and feel like my stomach is bigger than it was before I started. In reality it's just bigger relative to the rest of me because apparently I lose from my midsection last. I look more lopsided now than I did before with fairly skinny "chicken" legs a fairly small butt and arms, but a huge tire around my waist.

It's got to come off the belly sooner or later, right? (At least that's what I keep telling myself.)

In any case, don't give up this time because we KNOW that's not going to get you where you want to be.

All the best.

• ladyhusker39
    Options

I heard this many, many times. I wonder if that's because that's the point where it's finally coming off from the place that's the most troublesome so we're really focused on it. In any case, it's a great argument for sticking with it because you really don't know what the changes going forward will look like and there's no reason to assume it will be the same as the first several pounds.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Online calculators for body fat are guesstimates and some aren't very good. Your waist measurement is probably driving the BF estimates.

My (female) experience was that while I "lost inches" with the first big bunch of weight, I lost a *lot* of subcutaneous fat in waist-hips-thigh area (the stuff you see when you are looking at yer nekkid self) with the last 15#. Just keep at it, keep up the lifting and other exercise. Point of reference - my 6'3" male spouse weighs 185-188 and carries no visible fat anywhere except a little role around his waist (34").

Edited to add: Be sure you are getting sufficient protein to minimize muscle loss (the lifting helps too)
  • batorkin
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Online calculators for body fat are guesstimates and some aren't very good. Your waist measurement is probably driving the BF estimates.

My (female) experience was that while I "lost inches" with the first big bunch of weight, I lost a *lot* of subcutaneous fat in waist-hips-thigh area (the stuff you see when you are looking at yer nekkid self) with the last 15#. Just keep at it, keep up the lifting and other exercise. Point of reference - my 6'3" male spouse weighs 185-188 and carries no visible fat anywhere except a little role around his waist (34").

Edited to add: Be sure you are getting sufficient protein to minimize muscle loss (the lifting helps too)

Yeah you are probably right, I have a big gut. My legs are about half the size they use to be but my upper body has had less dramatic changes which most BF% calculators seem to focus on.

I drink a protein shake every day and most my meals are high in protein. :)
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Might be more to do with the fact that 10lbs from a 180lb body represents a larger % of body weight than 10lbs off of 230lbs. Someone could lose 20% of their mass at 140lbs (28lbs) and would look drastically different at 112lbs, but someone who loses 28lbs from being 250lbs won't look as obviously different. That's my take on it, anyway.

Solid reasoning. I’ve never thought of it this way and that makes so much sense. Makes me more motivated to get this last 20 lbs off.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I heard this many, many times. I wonder if that's because that's the point where it's finally coming off from the place that's the most troublesome so we're really focused on it. In any case, it's a great argument for sticking with it because you really don't know what the changes going forward will look like and there's no reason to assume it will be the same as the first several pounds.

Yes..."problem areas" tend to be primary fat stores...they are first on, last off. The mid section is primary fat stores for the vast majority of men, and many women...they are first on, last off. When I was in my last 10 Lbs, I was really worried because while my mid section had shrunk, I most definitely had a noticeable spare tire while the rest of me was starting to look quite skinny and I thought I was going to have to go for the gaunt/ill look just to get rid of my belly...the last 10 Lbs was pretty dramatic in regards to my mid section shrinking.

I put on a little weight every winter...nobody really notices because I'm not going around shirtless...but it goes straight to my gut...you can't tell in my face or anywhere else and it's only noticeable if I'm shirtless or wearing a tight shirt. When I tell people I need to cut my winter weight, they usually just kinda look at me funny because they can't tell that I've put on any weight.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fat, you can expect first on, last off. The places you tended to accumulate fat when you first started putting on weight will be the last place it tends to disappear from. With me, there are these pads of fat on each side of my lower back, right over my kidneys, that showed up even when I was in college. Now that I'm back down to roughly my college weight and at less than 12% body fat (hydrostatic) they're smaller but still there. Annoying, but it seems that's just how it is.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options

Yes..."problem areas" tend to be primary fat stores...they are first on, last off. The mid section is primary fat stores for the vast majority of men, and many women...they are first on, last off. When I was in my last 10 Lbs, I was really worried because while my mid section had shrunk, I most definitely had a noticeable spare tire while the rest of me was starting to look quite skinny and I thought I was going to have to go for the gaunt/ill look just to get rid of my belly...the last 10 Lbs was pretty dramatic in regards to my mid section shrinking.

I put on a little weight every winter...nobody really notices because I'm not going around shirtless...but it goes straight to my gut...you can't tell in my face or anywhere else and it's only noticeable if I'm shirtless or wearing a tight shirt. When I tell people I need to cut my winter weight, they usually just kinda look at me funny because they can't tell that I've put on any weight.

That's good to know and what I've assumed/hoped for as I get smaller everywhere else relative to my midsection.