Disney Rides?!

Options
So i'm planning on going to Disney i'm a UK size 28 and worried if i'll fit the rides. I'm hoping to loose as much as I can before I go but what advice and wisdom do my fellow theme park lovers have to share?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I found this link: https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20170628/32920/guide-rider-size-restrictions-walt-disney-world

Also, a lot of rides have tester seats you can try out before you get in line. Enjoy your vacation!
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you going to Disney in the US? If so, I'm not sure what a UK size 28 would convert to in more standard US measurements, but considering the US population is quite large and getting larger I would think it's likely that you'd be able to ride.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I go to Disneyland (California) a lot. I'm not sure what your size equates to here, but in general Disney is very plus size friendly. You can always ask the cast member at the entrance if there is a larger seat (some seats at the back of rides are slightly bigger). The only ride that sticks out as not being friendly to people of a larger size is the Matterhorn. It's not good if you're bigger or tall. You'll have a great time!!
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Disney has no weight restrictions (only height), if you can fit in the seat you are good.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Disney World is made to accommodate almost everyone, you should be able to fit on most rides. I believe Seven Dwarves Mine Train can be difficult due to the way the lap bar sits against the knees and you might have trouble with Astro Orbiter. Potentially Space Mountain too but I would say that's more about being able to get in and out of awkward ride vehicles than size though they also aren't overly spacious.

And Flight of Passage in Pandora, the newest ride, you might have issue with that because you kind of get on it like a motorbike.

Universal, if you're going there too, you will have a lot more trouble with and also with Volcano Bay. They both have size and weight restrictions for most things. I was borderline on a few things at my largest of about a UK 18-20. I got on everything but a smidgen bigger and I'd have had to miss a lot of things.

I don't know about Busch Gardens and Seaworld as I don't do those parks.

Check out disboards and Youtube is also a great resource for things like this.
  • evrw92
    evrw92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oooh yes sorry forgot to mention I thought all parks would be the same sizes, i'm going to the Paris one (wish I could go to World but just the air fair is so expensive!) Thanks for everyone's comments i'm super nervous but also excited. I had allot of issues in the UK parks like Thorpe Park and Alton so hoping Disney is different! x
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    evrw92 wrote: »
    Oooh yes sorry forgot to mention I thought all parks would be the same sizes, i'm going to the Paris one (wish I could go to World but just the air fair is so expensive!) Thanks for everyone's comments i'm super nervous but also excited. I had allot of issues in the UK parks like Thorpe Park and Alton so hoping Disney is different! x

I imagine Disney rides are pretty standard sized! Look up Disney Paris groups of Facebook. They should have some good info!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    evrw92 wrote: »

You'd be surprised, never been to Paris because a bit more saving gets me to Florida! You should be okay in most things, they build off their US model really so are very inclusive and it being a newer park even the "classics" like Space Mountain will be better than the originals in terms of fitting more sizes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I went to Disneyland back in September and the only ride I saw someone struggle a little bit on was the Matterhorn

Yeah, don't do the Matterhorn if your knees come anywhere near the front board. You may not be able to walk after.

Signed, Wish I'd known ahead of time.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    US sizes run larger than UK sizes. According to this https://www.asknumbers.com/ClothingWomensConversion.aspx your UK size 28 is equivalent to a US size 24. You should be mostly OK.

I have to say, it was in taking my kid to Disneyland a few years ago that the magnitude of the US obesity problem hit me. When standing in line for 45 minutes or so, there wasn't much else to do but look around at everyone else. So many were overweight or obese! And yet, not many had trouble fitting onto the rides.
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    Options
    I’ve heard that Disney is the number one park when it comes to having big enough seats! You’ll be fine and have fun! Don’t stress about that all day and ruin your time
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is a long thread on Disboards about Flight of Passage being difficult for people of size. The vehicle is like a street bike with closures around the back of legs and against your back.

The ride is amazing but can have lonnnnggg waits so I’d check that out before waiting on it.

Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Expedition Everest seem fairly forgiving.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was already 130 Lbs down when I went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and was removed from the Joker because the seatbelt was about 6 inches to small at least. They were nice about and I know I wouldn't have been safe to go without the seatbelt. I made it my mission that by the next spring, I would be able to ride the Joker and there was no problem. Of course, I started my weight loss at 378 Lbs so I was still probably 250 Lbs when I tried to ride the Joker. I wish you the best of luck.
  • evrw92
    evrw92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for everyone who commented!!!! Officially booked to go in May so shall let you all know how i get on. Thanks again <3
  • CeezyRN
    CeezyRN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google The Fat Girls Guide to Disney (seriously).. it was super helpful when I planned my first trip. I was a solid 350+ size US 28/32 and could ride every ride comefortably except the ones explicitly mentioned there.. the only one that was tight was Test Track at Epcot. Have fun!! It’s my favorite place :)