Hidrate Spark 2.0

Options
2»

Replies

• akionabr
    akionabr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have one of those! I liked it for a little while until I realized it’ll track liquid for the next day once midnight hit, and I’m usually still up at that time. I also had issues with the battery. Since it’s a watch battery it doesn’t really last too long at all. I also hated how quick the bottle would have condensation. It’s as if you don’t need to be reminded through the light to drink because the bottle will be covered in wetness within a few minutes..

At first I really really liked the idea, but after awhile it got tiresome to have to use the same bottle and clean it everyday then make sure the battery was still going good. It became much easier to simply log my intake manuall through apps like this one.

Not to mention the bottle would sometimes register more ounces than I know I drank. I would just start my day and already see 20ounces logged on their app. You can remove it but it becomes really tiresome.
  • PoopuhT
    PoopuhT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just got mine and so far I love it!! I think it is a cool little gadget, plus it auto records water intake. No effort required! Also you can do little competitions with friends
  • momma2acrew
    momma2acrew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got mine today. So far I love it! I am having hard time getting it to sync with my fitness pal/underarmor sites which it says it does. But I KNOW I forget to drink. I am NOT a drinker. Until 6 weeks ago I avoided water like the plague!! I've been working really hard to get at least 50 oz a day, if I go by the 1/2 my body weight rule i need a little more than that. I was able to tell it how much I want to drink and my normal wake up/sleep time. Today I didn't start using it until like 1130 (cause that's when it came in the mail and I got it washed) so it shows that I am behind (wake up time is set for 7). I don't think its pretentious. I think having a visual reminder is something I need! If you don't like it don't buy one?? Oh and I spent well over 200 closer to 300 on a fitbit ionic. I guess I'm all about being a snob ;) (but just fyi bed bath & beyond sells the water bottle, I used a 20% off coupon and got free shipping, so it ended up being $30 something)
  • Voorhees2018
    Voorhees2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have a hidrate spark. I just wish MFP would allow it to sync water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Confession time: I thought smart water bottles were a rip, but I'm actually benefiting from one. It's a Hydracoach bottle. Nothing fancy. Just a bottle with a little computer on it that tracks time and oz. I didn't (and wouldn't) buy it myself. I won it through an incentive program at work.

The reason I like it is because I've had trouble donating blood recently. The Red Cross staff were always telling me that I wasn't drinking enough. They said I needed 64 oz/day, and my donations would go more smoothly. But I was already drinking that and then some. Maybe I wasn't making up for my exercise well enough. Through some experimentation, I found I need more like 96 oz/day to be able to donate well. The bottle definitely helps meet that. I tried just refilling my 24 oz bottle throughout the day but I was too forgetful for that. Then I tried to just log water on MFP but that wasn't panning out either.

tl;dr : It's not something I could see spending money on, but I like it
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Drink when you're thirsty. There's no benefit to over-hydrating yourself. In fact, it can be quite dangerous as it depletes your electrolytes.

Why would you need a bottle/app that tells you when to drink in the first place? The only time this would be of any use/importance would be if you're involved in heavy physical activity, or you're losing hydration due to extremely hot weather.

For most people, however, a bottle that tells when when to drink is, imho, pretentious and more than a little weird. :/

A pretentious water bottle?

The premise of it? Absolutely, imho. :)

But hey! It glows!!!! That's totes worth $55 for a water bottle!

In all seriousness, we've been way oversold on the idea that we need to be constantly hydrated. There is no hard and fast rule on how much a person needs, and most people get more than enough through food, water and other beverages during the day. Having a water bottle to tell you to drink when you're not particularly thirsty is spending a lot of money for not much benefit.

Yeah, the marketing out there has establisherd a perceived need for apps and gadgets for normal bodily functions.

If it helps someone, great but IMO a bit over the top and I won't be a customer
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Anything that takes plastic bottles out of our streams, rivers and oceans is a good thing in my book. Enjoy OP

True, but for that function a $9.99 or less bottle or cup does the same thing
  • Voorhees2018
    Voorhees2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for me but this thing helps me out alot. I am just starting getting into shape and 1 of the big issues I have is to stay hydrated. This bottle helps remind me to drink water and it also allows me to keep track of my water intake so I can know. Not to mention it bases the suggested water intake for a person not based on a set oz like the Journal of Medicine that says all men should have 125oz. It takes into consideration other factors which are often over looked: location, humidity, age,weight and more. So for me this is a great tool.

if you dont like it dont get it. But I got a mother who has a dial phone and she thinks cell phones are a waste because her dial phone can call the same numbers.
  • kh965
    kh965 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just got my hidrate and love it!! I too have a desk job and I frequently forget to drink water as I sit. As others have pointed out, I'm a gadget person and gadgets keep me motivated to meet my goals.
  • ajdryna
    ajdryna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Has anyone figured out how to sync it here yet though? I have both synced to fitbit so why wouldn't it track from hidrate's app, to fitbit's app, to here? Does anyone know if the renfro scale app syncs?
  • okiteekay
    okiteekay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ajdryna wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to sync it here yet though? I have both synced to fitbit so why wouldn't it track from hidrate's app, to fitbit's app, to here? Does anyone know if the renfro scale app syncs?

Just replying to agree with you. I haven't figured it out yet either. hopefully someone can share some insight!
  • andypants8
    andypants8 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Bump.

Rather than Hidrate Spark making their app to synchronize with MyFitnessPal, it should be easier for MyFitnessPal to simply read the water intake from Apple Health since Hidrate already puts in there…

MyFitnessPal just doesn’t want to use the standard ways to track this stuff