Apple cider vinegar: benefits??

Options
I’ve heard a lot of rumors about having a glass of water with 1 tbsp of Apple cider vinegar and 1tbsp of lemon juice everyday being a huge benefit in weight loss! I’m wondering if anyone has tried this method and if it worked for anyone!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No.

There have been about eleventy zillion threads about apple cider vinegar, and there is no health or weight loss benefit to it. Here are a couple recent discussions about it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10631886/apple-cider-diet-anyone-have-tried-this/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10633775/apple-cider-vinegar-no-real-benefits-right#latest
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It has worked very well for Braggs to fleece a whole lot of people from their money.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It has worked very well for Braggs to fleece a whole lot of people from their money.

I'm starting to think Bragg's employs shills to go around posting their miracle garbage on all the social media sites. Next to keto, it's probably the single most asked about topic.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the benefits are that it tastes good in soups/sauces. I actually like having it mixed with some stevia in my water. Just tastes good to me.

I do believe there was a study showing that people with diabetes had their blood sugar lower somewhat. lots of info online about it.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Answer is no.

[post edited by MFP mod]
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    No benefits unless its used in cooking for taste.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Consuming some thing, whatever it is, and otherwise not making changes will not be helpful in weight loss, period. I think the idea that it will (or that you can trick the system through little tricks that don't affect diet or movement, like magic) is an unhelpful approach to weight loss. If you could lose weight by taking medicine (medicine available easily and pretty cheaply at the grocery store), people would not be fat. Are all the people who claim ACV works thin, and do they never worry about their diet or exercise but rely on the vinegar?

So it doesn't work for weight loss. It might have some benefits for T2D, but they should also control their diets. It might have some other non weight loss related benefits that may or may not affect you (not of them affect me). And like most vinegars, it tastes good in various food preparations and homemade salad dressings.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The science isn't really great, but there appears to be some small benefit to vinegar (not specific to acv, though).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fermented foods help with the microbiome, probably. Vinegars (with the mother) are among those, nothing special about ACV vs other vinegars, and there are numerous other things that someone who cares about the microbiome should be doing (fermented veg, yogurt, and for that matter eating lots of just plain old vegetables -- diet is the main thing).

But in any case, that's separate from weight loss.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    daraalt wrote: »
    ACV has benefits if added to your diet. for one it helps with your microbiome. by itself as a weight loss solution, i doubt it. but it cannot hurt you to add a little to your water every day for gut health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23997718/?i=1&from=apple cider vinegar and weight loss

The participants were given several different things in addition to the apple cider vinegar in their daily supplementation. You can't correlate the ACV being the reason for any improvement in their gut health. Even the study itself doesn't assert that in their conclusion.
    CONCLUSIONS: Weight loss and improvements in total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels occurred after a low-energy-density dietary intervention plus regimented supplementation program.
    TL;DR The study asserts that weight loss and health improved when the participants engaged in a low calorie diet and took vitamins for 3 weeks.
  • daraalt
    daraalt Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    daraalt wrote: »
    ACV has benefits if added to your diet. for one it helps with your microbiome. by itself as a weight loss solution, i doubt it. but it cannot hurt you to add a little to your water every day for gut health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23997718/?i=1&from=apple cider vinegar and weight loss

The participants were given several different things in addition to the apple cider vinegar in their daily supplementation. You can't correlate the ACV being the reason for any improvement in their gut health. Even the study itself doesn't assert that in their conclusion.
    CONCLUSIONS: Weight loss and improvements in total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels occurred after a low-energy-density dietary intervention plus regimented supplementation program.
    TL;DR The study asserts that weight loss and health improved when the participants engaged in a low calorie diet and took vitamins for 3 weeks.

that's what i said. that ACV by itself wasn't a solution.