First week of working out and eating well and lost nothing !! :(

Options
Been getting up at 4:00 am each day to fit in a workout before work (been lifting mostly) and really watching what I eat and I have lost nothing !! I know that people will say to wait to see results - but wahh!! :neutral:

Is it worth just not weighing myself for a while to avoid disappointment?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    That's really a personal preference, but you are going to have to be patient, a week isn't long enough to see progress especially if you're new to working out which can cause fluid retention whilst the muscle repair themselves.

If you are logging accurately and sticking to your calorie allowance you will see progress, it just takes time. If you think weighing will disappoint you, take progress pictures and measurements, sometimes the work isn't reflected on the scale but can be seen in smaller measurements.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    Been getting up at 4:00 am each day to fit in a workout before work (been lifting mostly) and really watching what I eat and I have lost nothing !! I know that people will say to wait to see results - but wahh!! :neutral:

Define "eating well". How much cardio are you doing?
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

I typical day is special K for breakfast, roasted veg (no oil) and polenta chips (grilled) and an evening meal of something like a jacket potato with plain tuna and a smidge of butter.

I have been snacking on fruit (about 2-3 pieces a day and a no added sugar jelly when I fancy something sweet). have also been getting in my water too.

Not really much in the way of cardio aside from warm up and some kettlebell exercises. I have been mostly using the functional weights machine and squat bar.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

I typical day is special K for breakfast, roasted veg (no oil) and polenta chips (grilled) and an evening meal of something like a jacket potato with plain tuna and a smidge of butter.

I have been snacking on fruit (about 2-3 pieces a day and a no added sugar jelly when I fancy something sweet). have also been getting in my water too.

Not really much in the way of cardio aside from warm up and some kettlebell exercises. I have been mostly using the functional weights machine and squat bar.

are you weighing your food with scales?
  • parfia
    Options
    Yes. I am weighing x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    [/quote]

Your diet sounds low in protein and fat... But you aren't weighing or measuring anything by the sounds of it, so who knows! Calorie intake is what matters, regardless of how "well" you do with food choices [/quote]

+1 plus its early days, a month would be more realistic to see how things are going for you.
  • parfia
    Options
    [/quote]

Your diet sounds low in protein and fat... But you aren't weighing or measuring anything by the sounds of it, so who knows! Calorie intake is what matters, regardless of how "well" you do with food choices

+1 plus its early days, a month would be more realistic to see how things are going for you.[/quote]

I am weighing
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Give it more time then, its only been a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OP if it helps, when I first started my weight loss, the first week I lost nothing, the second week I lost nothing....and then on the 3rd week...I got a whoosh and lost 1.5lbs. (I didn't have too much to lose) Patience is required.
  • grahamlittle1
    grahamlittle1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i think everyone has given lots of great advice, the primary thing is you cannot expect anything to happen quickly, especially if you want it to stick. Its about a lifestyle change and this takes time for the body to adapt and change. Dont forget as well that if your lifting then you are building muscle as well as losing fat. Also dont underestimate the affects your monthly cycle will have your overall weight / conditioning. don't give up, you are doing really well with getting up early and going to the gym. just make sure that whatever you do is going to be consistent. The other important thing is that its really important to get your macros right as mentioned before. If your loosing weight, building muscle, maintaining weight, doing exercise etc this will all affect it. If you dont eat right, then you will end up damaging your body and failing as you wont be able to keep going. Remember any fitness/exercise work your doing is going to put you into a calorie deficit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thank you for your help peeps. I think I just got a bit disheartened because I had worked so hard - but perhaps I am going a bit too hell for leather. Its a marathon not a sprint after all. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I will try and incorporate more fats and protein into my diet also.

We all get disheartened at times. I was also disappointed at the time and many times throughout my weight loss journey. Glad you are seeing things in a more positive light. All the best.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too but I know my body and it just takes time. It’s so frustrating when I join weight loss challenges and people loose 5 pounds in a week and I have lost half a pound. But I belonged to a workout group with these same people and over the course of a few months I watched my body get smaller and more toned and those people who lost 5 pounds in a week still looked the same.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It’s okay! My weight has been stagnant this last week as well! I think of it this way: I’ve been carrying this weight around for months, not going to stress about 1 week :)
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Your expectations need to be adjusted.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Women often have their weight loss hidden around a certain time of month.

I'm in maintenance, and my weight regularly goes "up" a few days before you-know-what, and comes down again when it ends.

It's just water retention due to hormones.

Could be something that's happening that hasn't been mentioned yet but happens to so many women.