Jumped on the scale to find out I've gained weight?

Options
Hi everyone, the last three days I've been exercising and eating 1200-1400 calories. I am 214.7 pounds, when before I was 212. I am discouraged I started my weight loss journey just to gain weight, when it is really difficulty for me. Any suggestions or ideas? My sodium was within limits.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    3 days is too early to see how things are going. Weight fluctuates for so many reasons. Don't be discouraged, keep logging your food intake consistently and accurately and be patient. We didn't gain in a short period so we can't expect to lose it quickly either.
    Keep on going and you will see a loss on the scales soon.

Its not just sodium that can make our weight spike up (with water weight), extra carbs, hormones, constipation, lack of sleep, stress...the list can go on.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you hadn't been exercising before that's likely the cause.

Also, 3 days isn't enough time.

Finally, if you've changed your diet significantly, that will also affect how you're retaining water.

TL;DR: Give it more time.
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking, logging and weighing food (not eyeballing it). Then you just need patience. Weight loss is not linear and a difference of 1 or 2 pounds could be anything. Did you just eat? Did you weigh at the same time and wearing the same thing you did last time. All of these things could show a few pounds difference. Give it a week or so.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily, this is caused by more than just sodium it can also be caused by:
    • Changes to exercise routine
    • Changes to macros (particularly Carbs)
    • Hormones - not just around your period but throughout your cycle
    • Medication
    • Digestion processes
    • Hydration

3 days is not enough time to see progress, if you're logging accurately (see this ) and sticking to your calorie allowance you will lose weight, you just need to be patient. It's the overall trend that is more important and it takes around 4-6 weeks to see your average progress. If you're weighing frequently try using a trend app like Libra or Happy Scale.

Normal weight loss isn't just a downward straight line when you look at it in graph form, it looks more like this:

1uvt8vqsfhxv.jpg