First week has been great...

Options
cazbit
cazbit Posts: 122 Member
7 lbs in 7 days. Mostly water weight yes, but done through a calorie controlled diet and myfitnesspal. I am chuffed to bits. It has been a good first week after two years of steadily gaining 4 stone.

With every pound I loose I get more excited about trying my wedding dress on in 4 months.

How is everyone else getting on. I would love to know your stories and what works for you, what got you motivated in the first place etc

C x

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is great.. huge well done. I started in the new year and have lost 8llbs so far... really pleased. I want to feel healthy and look good I don't want to be overweight!! Reading posts on fitness pal really keeps me motivated.
  • Easyeregg
    Easyeregg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been counting calories since jan 2 and lost 10 lbs ...6 lbs on mfp.in week . Haven't been doing much exercise . I can't find anywhere that says you need to exercise to lose weight with mfp but I know it would help
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. Its nice to see a positive post.
  • MfromBristol
    MfromBristol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    7lbs in 7 days for me to! We are awesome!!!
  • KellyCrazyK
    KellyCrazyK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations I'm getting married in November this year. Its my first day on my fitness pal. I have been eating healthy for the week though. I just have a few questions.
    1: in the beginning when you state your weight and goal weight. Etc. What period of time is it that you lose that weight to get to your goal weight. if you follow and count calories.

Look forward to being part of community.

Thanks
    Kelly
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Congratulations I'm getting married in November this year. Its my first day on my fitness pal. I have been eating healthy for the week though. I just have a few questions.
    1: in the beginning when you state your weight and goal weight. Etc. What period of time is it that you lose that weight to get to your goal weight. if you follow and count calories.

Look forward to being part of community.

Thanks
    Kelly

Hi Kelly, MFP doesn't have a goal date function. In the guided setup what you enter for the loss rate you want to achieve (0-2lbs/week) and the activity level you select dictates where MFP sets your calorie level. I see a majority of new users automatically select 2lbs/week and have a tendency to overestimate their activity level (I know that's what I did). The activity level should be appropriate for your daily activity outside of intentional exercise, not necessarily what you desire your activity level to be. A sustainable loss rate should be based on how much weight you have to lose, below is the generally recommended ranges.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

These recommended rates are somewhat conservative in my opinion, though those loss rates will allow most to eat at a reasonable deficit and not feel overly restricted. If you're looking for something that will say "you'll reach your target weight on x date" you can look into using a weight trend app like Happy Scale; you enter your weigh-ins and it calculates the trend based on a moving average and has a section for projections based on how much weight you "commit" to losing per week.

Since you're a new user I've also taken the liberty in sending you this response in a direct message.

Welcome to MyFitnessPal and good luck!
    -Steve