HELP, proteins high, carbs low or carbs high protein low

Options
I’m having a hard time balancing. If my proteins are high my carbs are too low but if I raise my carb intake then my proteins seem to go low. Any advice on how to balance these?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Track them and plan your meals so you meet the goals? But it's okay if every day isn't the same. You can lose weight and be healthy without eating the same macros every day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to eat low fat?
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What are your macronutrient goals? What does your diet look like?

My carb intake is typically lower than protein intake but that is by design. I am shooting for my macros to be:
    40% protein
    30% carbs
    30% fats
    and my diet is tailored to meet these goals. I'm usually off by a percentage point or two depending on the day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Protein is more of a priority than carbs in a general sense. More so if you are weight training. Other than that, it is not all that critical for just weight loss. There, calories are the important thing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest thing to consider is what is going to help you stick with this diet. Diets high in protein (1.5 to 2.2g/kg) have been shown to be beneficial during dieting as it will help support metabolism, muscle retention and satiety. So when I diet, I concentrate on calories, protein and fiber. And then I let fats and carbs fall where ever they land, although I tend to not eat less than 250 to 300g of carbs a day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I just worry about protein and fiber (for satiety) and iron (I'm anemic) and let everything else fall where they land.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I focus on my protein (aim to get over 100g) and calories, and carbs the day before long run days. Other than that carbs and fat fall as they will.
  • katiekat1991
    katiekat1991 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’ve set up this app for losing 1lb a week. I work in an office so minimal exercise during the day.
    If going off of macros my carbs are set at 50% and protein at 20%. My calorie ins take is set to 1390 for the day. I can usually meet my calorie goal but struggling to keep everything balanced to still meet that goal. I should also add I am coming off of a very carb (especially sugar), caffeine and protein rich diet... I have cold turkey quit coffee (with tons of creamer) and coke (drank 6+ cans a day) so on top of being hungry and craving my previous food choices I am also suffering some sugar and caffeine withdrawals... feeling somewhat defeated.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I’ve set up this app for losing 1lb a week. I work in an office so minimal exercise during the day.
    If going off of macros my carbs are set at 50% and protein at 20%. My calorie ins take is set to 1390 for the day. I can usually meet my calorie goal but struggling to keep everything balanced to still meet that goal

Calories are what matter. Dont stress the macros. If anything, just concentrate on getting enough protein.
  • mmapags
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If going off of macros my carbs are set at 50% and protein at 20%. My calorie ins take is set to 1390 for the day. I can usually meet my calorie goal but struggling to keep everything balanced to still meet that goal

Calories are what matter. Dont stress the macros. If anything, just concentrate on getting enough protein.

^^What Lemon said.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If going off of macros my carbs are set at 50% and protein at 20%. My calorie ins take is set to 1390 for the day. I can usually meet my calorie goal but struggling to keep everything balanced to still meet that goal. I should also add I am coming off of a very carb (especially sugar), caffeine and protein rich diet... I have cold turkey quit coffee (with tons of creamer) and coke (drank 6+ cans a day) so on top of being hungry and craving my previous food choices I am also suffering some sugar and caffeine withdrawals... feeling somewhat defeated.

If your primary goal is to lose weight, forget about the macros (for now at least) and just focus on eating less. It can be difficult enough figuring out how to comfortably maintain a deficit long-term without tying yourself in knots over macros. Sugar, caffeine and protein are all fine to consume while losing weight. If you want to cut those back for other health reasons, you might have more success if you take it more gradually - focus on your number one goal right now, and don't add in another goal until you're feeling confidant in your progress.
  • BetterInTheFall
    BetterInTheFall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for others, but, my life is never the same two days in a row so I don't expect my diet to be either. I set a goal and I aim for it, many times I miss, but I keep aiming and over time it seems to work out.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I focus on keeping protein at 112g a day or more, fat at 50 g a day or less, and let the carbs fall where they may.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on a weight lifting program to make gains macros arnt that important IMO.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Unless you're on a weight lifting program to make gains macros arnt that important IMO.

Not exactly true. High protein, even is sedentary people, has been some to help maintain muscle mass.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Not exactly true. High protein, even is sedentary people, has been some to help maintain muscle mass.

Most people get enough protein but you only need around .7 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

• mmapags
    Options

Most people get enough protein but you only need around .7 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.

Actually most people don't.
  • psuLemon
    Options

There are a variety of factors that drive protein requirements, leanness and training being a big factors. In general, 1.5 to 2.2g/kg is sufficient, but those that are lean and active can actually benefit from more.