I don't log my strength training...should I?

weeze_h
weeze_h Posts: 72
edited September 30 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I don't log my strength training on MFP, I'm not too bothered about keeping a diary of what weights/reps I do, as when I get to the weights in the gym I remember what I can do and try and push myself from there, however as I get closer to my goal weight (4lbs away from maintenance) I am wondering should I be working out how many calories burned so I don't keep losing weight once I reach maintenance and if so I would start now.

Is there many calories burned from strength? Enough to log and make a difference? I only stick to the weight machines at the gym for the moment, no free weights. Today I did lower body weights, 5 machines, 3 x 8-12 reps on each at the highest I could manage with my legs getting shaky on the last rep. I always eat my exercise calories from cardio, but I figured if I never logged the calories from strength then that would be a 'bonus' that I wouldn't be eating back.

Hoping for some advice?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I wear my HRM when at the gym. The other night I did a full body strength workout - light on the weight, higher reps. It included 10 minutes of light stretching at the end and I burned 180 calories in the 35-40 minutes. I'm a 116kg 5'9 lady if that helps at all.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    I do a lot of interval and strength work and asked mfp boffins fir help- they say there are too many variables to log calories but if you wear a monitor you can clock it and make a new exercise.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    There is a "strenght training workout" or something similar in the MFP cardio section.
    I think it matches roughly what the previous person said, that is 170cals for 40-45 min of training.

If you want to log the cals from strength training, don't count the breaks between sets and the time you don't lift weight.
    For 1h20min (or so) at the gym, I usually log 45min weight training.

I don't think it is critical that you log them though, they are more "bonus" calories as you were saying.
  • I log it under the strength training workout section (reps/sets/weights) not the cardio part, just so i can look back to see what i did and when
    I'd log it in the cardio section but I don't have a HRM yet so not exactly sure how much I burn doing them, nor for exactly how long I do them either (i tend to take a fair alot of breaks, especially if my brother has to show me what i need to do for the movements to see if i have the technique down correctly)

on a side note @flamfloz i love your display pic! :laugh:
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    thanks guys, i think i'll leave it how it is - I think i'm only in the weights bit for about 15-20mins and that's with breaks so I probably don't burn much.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Don't forget though that you get an after burn after strength training, you burn extra calories all day or even while you sleep! So mega bonus
This discussion has been closed.