Protein Shakes

Options
Hey everyone! I have been on this forum for awhile and notice lots of protein shakes going around. Well i decided to yet again give the shake a try. I tried the Shakeology shakes and Protein drinks Special K, Muscle Milk etc. I purchased the Biggest Loser Chocolate one last night has 50 calories but i guess my question is, Is there one out there that is best for me? That tastes good i have a very hard problem taking these shakes even liquid medicines. Also do you put these scoops in water or milk. How do you make yours. I know this post probably isnt written in the best form or most understandable i apologize.

Also if you drink protein shakes

1. What brand of protein shake do you drink?

2. How do you make yours?

3. Do you use for pre or post workouts, a meal replacement, or something else?

Replies

• slimmerme2012
    Options
    Im cheap so I just get special k or slim fast when I do buy them.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    1. I use body fortress from Holland and Barrett (UK)

2. I use an empty 454g honey jar or jam jar. Measure the milk or water to the line i etched in the side of the jar, add in the measured powder, slap the lid on and shake like mad. I drink it straight from the jar too.

3. Post workout - works best for me, I find :)
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    i really like the shakeology. i have the chocolate, my normal recipe is as follows.

1 scoop or packet of choc. shakeology
    1 table spoon natural peanut butter
    1 banana
    handful or so of ice
    1 scoop of whey protein
    blue berries
    and 1 cup of water, you can also use skim milk or almond milk .
    blend together in a blender.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love Spirutein Shakes and mix them with milk/water/juice. You can also get single packages so if you want to try some of their flavored blends it won't put you out of pocket. My favorite is vanilla and I mix it with milk.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have found that I like the GNC protein shake. 170 calories and 23 protein No after taste
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Gold Standard 100% whey protien. My trainer and friends recommended this to me. I drink it if im below my daily protien intake (i try to get between 130-140 grams of protien per day) or right after a XT workout with weights. I may mix it with some greek yogurt or if in a shake with just water or 50/50 water and unsweetened soy milk.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I use Ultimate Nutrition chocolate creme whey powder,

I was just drinking one scoop with water immediately after my weight training, but now I come home and mix it with 1 cup skim milk, 8-10 strawberries, and a couple of walnuts if I have them, and I throw in about 5g of oats.

Post workout for the shake, but I use the powder mixed with oats for breakfast, and with yoghurt as an afternoon snack.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just got the P90X shakes and I use it as a meal replacement for a few reasons. It's out where I am and it's refreshing. It's quick and easy and I don't stare at the fridge at lunch time wondering what to eat. And it totally helps with my chocolate cravings! I don't know what the others have as ingredients, but slim fast makes me sick, I think because of the milk in it, so I avoid most drinks.

I put all sorts of things in my shakes. I generally mix it with almond milk - a friend told me it tastes gross with water, but I've never tried. I always add something - a banana or some berries and definitely ice. I mix mine in a blender.

You can add nuts, peanut butter, vanilla or almond extract, coffee, cinnamon, orange juice - experiment!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    1 scoop EAS 100% Whey protein
    1 cup iced coffee
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Great breakfast on the go post workout!
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    i really like the shakeology. i have the chocolate, my normal recipe is as follows.

1 scoop or packet of choc. shakeology
    1 table spoon natural peanut butter
    1 banana
    handful or so of ice
    1 scoop of whey protein
    blue berries
    and 1 cup of water, you can also use skim milk or almond milk .
    blend together in a blender.

That sounds yummy i tried the greenberry ??? i think.. Maybe i should have done something like yours and it would have been yummy.
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks. You all are amazing and your Shakes sound delicious i wrote everything down. Thank you all so much again..
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use GNC lean vanilla bean.. 2 scoops with 6 oz water & handfull of ice & a handfull of my fruit of choice.
    throw it all in the blender for 15 sec & have a delicious homemade smoothie :)
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I an a great fan of PHD diet whey

It fills me up till lunchtime and beyond if not careful I swim in the morning on the way to work so use it as breakfast as otherwise due to the nature of my work I used to end up forgetting or not having time for breakfast.

I have an aditional shake after a work out with my PT

It mixes well with water and has the consistancy of a thick milk shake I like all of the flavours but chocolate is my favourite

It has flax seeds and other things in it so the texture is a bit odd although once I got used to it I really like it.

Lucy
  • bajabuggy
    bajabuggy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi

Not sure if it is available where you life but I use Musashi Slm Shake. This is a low carb high protein shake made for women in mind. I have found the best way to make it is with iced water, the colder the better. It is not a meal replacement, I use it to get me through the afternoon slump and snacking. At good drink to have later arvo esp if your planning to exercise after work.

Baja
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I use Optimum Gold Standard 100% whey protien. My trainer and friends recommended this to me. I drink it if im below my daily protien intake (i try to get between 130-140 grams of protien per day) or right after a XT workout with weights. I may mix it with some greek yogurt or if in a shake with just water or 50/50 water and unsweetened soy milk.

I use the same brand (double chocolate). Mixed with unsweetened almond milk. I drink two a day (one in the morning, one post workout in the evening).
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    EAS whey
    I drink one for breakfast and one usually after I workout
    I generally blend with half a banana and powdered peanut butter (only 45 cals)

I find these are much better than the premade ones.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I don't use a protein shake, I just buy unflavored protein to add to smoothies. The brand I use is Procel. I found most premade or flavored protein to be kinda gross, or way to sweet for my tastes.

One of two ways in a magic bullet blender:
    1 cup frozen berries (no sugar added)
    1/4 - 1/2 cup fage Total 0% greek yogurt
    1 Cup rice dream
    1 scoop procel protein powder
    1 heaping tsp whole psyllium husk

Or
    1/2 to 2/3 cup frozen berries
    1 whole cut banana
    1/4-1/2 cup fage total 0% greek yogurt
    1 cup rice dream
    1 scoop procel protein powder
    1 heaping tsp whole psyllium husk

I generally drink my shake post exercise.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein Shakes form Costco.

Tastes good, cheap and premade. Just keep in fridge.

30g of protein and only 170 cals.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

1. Magnum Quattro 4-stage isolate

2. Mix 2 scoops with water.

3. I use it when I can't get my daily protein macro requirements from whole foods.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I an a great fan of PHD diet whey

I have an aditional shake after a work out with my PT

It mixes well with water and has the consistancy of a thick milk shake I like all of the flavours but chocolate is my favourite

It has flax seeds and other things in it so the texture is a bit odd although once I got used to it I really like it.

Lucy

Me too :o)

Take one after a workout. Sometimes as a meal filler, ie at 4pm if I know I'm having a meal out at 7pm. This fills me up and stops me eating so much at the meal as well :o)

Mixes well with water, tried it with milk but it was REALLY thick and too sickly for my taste.