Exercising with Broken Hand

Options
CMS_3049
CMS_3049 Posts: 20 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a broken right hand so I cannot do my normal body weight exercise that I normally do such as push-ups, chin-ups, my 2 pull-ups, a big variety of planks nor can I use any of the weight machines in my condo's gym. I have only been using dumbbells on my left side and doing single arm planks. Other than my right hand, I have zero limitations in place from the DR. I have little to zero pain right now and I am not using any pain medication. Any ideas of exercises I can do to strengthen the arm without using the hand? The occupational therapist said I can do anything that doesn't use the hand but didn't give me any ideas as to what I can do for arm strength training on the right side. I am forbidden from riding a bicycle and running outside so I've been replacing my rides and runs with slow runs and walks on the treadmill and some stationary bike riding. I've tried the elliptical, but can only hold on using my left hand and it makes me feel unbalanced so I stopped because I'm afraid of falling off. I'm starting to become very frustrated and am afraid my right arm will begin to lose muscle. I am a triathlete, golfer, and tennis player and I can't do any formal training or practicing right now; on top of that, I'm afraid I will be starting at such a deficit once I can get back out there. Please offer suggestions. I'm running about 20mpw finally though at a slower pace and riding about 6 hours per week.

This is a workman's comp injury so getting a different occupational therapist is not an option.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would just accept that you're going to need to take a break from all upper body lifting. Continuing to do dumbbell exercises and planks with just your left arm is going to lead to muscle imbalance. Unless you have something similar to a cable machine where you can use the wrist/ankle straps there's really not much you can do for upper body that doesn't use your hand.
  • CMS_3049
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If I were you I would just accept that you're going to need to take a break from all upper body lifting. Continuing to do dumbbell exercises and planks with just your left arm is going to lead to muscle imbalance. Unless you have something similar to a cable machine where you can use the wrist/ankle straps there's really not much you can do for upper body that doesn't use your hand.

Thank you for your reply.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

That's what I was going to suggest. Either a cable machine or bands that you can strap to your wrist.

BTW - my condolences on your hand. I broke mine several years ago and it was a PIA. I had to pack up my entire house and take care of two 2yr olds with only one hand.
  • CMS_3049
    Options

That's what I was going to suggest. Either a cable machine or bands that you can strap to your wrist.

BTW - my condolences on your hand. I broke mine several years ago and it was a PIA. I had to pack up my entire house and take care of two 2yr olds with only one hand.[/quote]

Thanks. It's been a pain, but I'm making progress. I'm learning to do so much with my left hand that I never thought possible. Typing is weird because my brain moves a lot faster than my left hand so I have to proofread everything I email or post because I'll miss a couple of words in a row.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think Target has wrap-around ankle weights that go up to 10 lbs or so. That might allow you to do some curls, laterals, etc. A simple resistance band would allow a range of lifts as well, as long as you can fin your arm in in and do the lift with your arm. The benefit of the ankle weights is that they are padded.

I would think you could do front elbow planks and reverse elbow planks as well, couldn't you? If you have enough stability, you can plank with your elbows or elevate your feet onto an exercise ball for additional challenge. Or do elbow planks with single leg lifts added in. Or do pot-stirrer planks on the exercise ball. Or do elbow planks where you twist your body and reach your arm upward and/or under your body. Or do plank-jacks on your elbows (you can either jump with your feet or slide them on paper plates for less jolting).

There are many, many hellish variations on planks if you dig for them.

You can also flip it over and do a variety of reaching crunches that will impact your upper body, such as where you make your legs V in the air, keep your shoulders off the ground, then reach for opposite toes till you want to weep. Or make your legs in a V and just reach through, shoulders off mat, and pulse it for a good long while.

Enjoy! :D

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Chest:
    - Pec deck machine at a gym (the kind with elbow pads)
    - Pec fly using a velcro strap on your wrist attached to a cable machine or resistance band (the kind with detachable handles, like Bodylastics, which comes with velcro)

Back:
    - Rows w/ velcro strap around elbow plus band or cable machine
    - Lat pulldowns with velcro at elbow + band/cable

Shoulders:
    - lateral raises & front raises w/ velcro on elbow or wrist + band/cable

Arms:
    - curls w/ velcro on wrist w/ band/cable
    -tricep kickbacks/ veclro on wrist w/ band/cable

Legs:
    - front squats w/ barbell, or backpack w/ cans of food
    - jumping lunges (don't fall)
    - wall sits w/ weights