Am I the only one nervous all I'm doing is making excuses?

Options
It's been months since I felt well enough to work out properly. I've been on tuberculosis medicine for close to a year now, and recently I fractured my first metatarsal. Last year I lost 20 pounds, but recently regained 10. Since then, my diet's been pretty well on point, and it's what I prioritize right now since I have the most control there.

What I worry is- am I making excuses for myself? Even when I was working 60+ hours a week, I found time for the gym. But now? Medication side effects and a fractured small bone? Am I making excuses, or am I taking care of myself? Somewhere in the middle?

I'm just very frustrated with myself and trying to figure out if I just need to be patient with my body and health and do what I can, or if I need a swift kick in the behind to get me back on the right track. I'd love to hear y'all's input, especially if you've been in a similar position.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Never had a broken bone. Never been on TB meds.

But I’ve had various injuries and was on meds once that set me back about 20lbs in 8 months.

Two thoughts. Tenacity. The meds really got me. But I eventually got back to it and stayed at it. I hated covering the same ground twice. But I did it.

Then there’s injuries to our bodies and injuries we let into our heads. Find a way to work around it. Don’t let it take over your head. Look on YouTube for mat routines. Don’t think about working through your injury. Rest it. But you can find something that you can do.

Last. You’ll know you found the right workout when you can look yourself in the mirror and say it’s a workout. Same with your overall effort. Nobody can answer this for you, least of all on the internet. Only you know the truth.

But a broken bone can really set you back if you mess with it. Be smart. Keep going but be smart.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you really feel like you can handle being more active or attempting to workout? Maybe you are making excuses and maybe you aren't. I haven't been on TB meds, but I've broken a lot of bones (ankle, pelvis, lots of fingers and toes) and even tore a muscle and they didn't stop me from exercising unless I wanted them to. Many injuries can be worked around.

Maybe you just need to commit to starting slow. If it's an excuse because you're afraid of putting out a lot of effort or spending lots of time start with a 5 minute walk.
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I decided to stop making excuses because of my illness, I started slow. I mean really slow. My very first walk on my treadmill 2.5 years ago was 15 minutes at 1 mph. Within 12 weeks I was up to 60 minutes at 3 mph. You can do it.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    messaged you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned you might be making excuses, you probably are. Only you know. Almost always, doing something is better than doing nothing. Stay within doctors orders, start slow, pace yourself, and progess from there.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Are you physically able to walk a distance? If so, do it. Get your 10k steps every day.