Took me a whole year to lose 15 pounds...

Options
So yes, its taken me that long to lose only 15 lbs and even now I'm up a few because of Christmas. But I'm actually really pleased with my progress which might sound crazy but here's why. First...sticking with it this long means thats it now ingrained for me to think about what I'm eating...even when I'm having a bad food day.

Second...it's taken a year for me to realize I was over-eating because something would taste good and now I realize I actually hate feeling so stuffed and rarely do that anymore.

Third - it also helped me figure out that I'm a social eater so now I'm more aware in those situations and try to practice mindful eating when I'm with friends.

I'm obviously not the world's more consistent loser...I would lose a pound or two and then maintain for a bit and then lose again. But now I don't ever want to stop thinking about calories and what I'm eating...its become a way of life I hope to keep forever.

I plan on losing another 10 this year, mainly for health reasons and I also need to lose the two pound from Christmas...but again it was only two and compared to other years that is a success story for me!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really hoping that slow and steady just might be able to win the race.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have had a good year learning about your eating and losing in the process.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss; 15 pounds is great! It shows that you were on the right track for the year and I'd take a loss over a gain no matter how substantial. Congrats to you!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Weight loss is definitely about more than just managing to lose weight, for some of us its about have a better quality of life, taking some responsibility for our health and learning to eat-to-live and not living-to-eat!

Great job!
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same here but didn’t have too much to lose. It was actually still really hard...had to almost give up alcohol and tortilla chips and started running several times per week. Losses were still so slow!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Yup, I lost a whopping 20 pounds last year and I’m aiming for 7-10 this year. You know what they say, slow and steady wins the race.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good job losing 15 lbs is an accomplishment you should be proud of
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Same here! I had 30lbs to lose which took me around 2 years. Admittedly there were times throughout of eating maintenance calories and the inevitable winter gain/podge, but i did get there in the end :lol:
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too lost around 9-12 pounds this year- sometimes the same two or three pounds up / dowm for a whole month- then FINALLY I would get it together and lose - then maintain that for a while then lose a little more- slow but steady progress- but as so many have said- it IS progress and I will take it!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Lost 30lbs in two years. Not a streight line. I gain on summer holidays (around a month) and several weeks around Christmas.
    I'm not in a rush now as I'm in the lower half of healthy bmi.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My people! I’ve lost 48 pounds over the past 2 years. Every time I decide to try for a steeper deficit, I end up stressing about food constantly and binge after a few weeks.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Same. Not from quitting. But fear of "what if I actually reach goal", letting other people's nonsense get in the way of my goals, not getting my deficit right, and trying other plans that just didn't work. Time to regroup and focus.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It took my 1 1/2yr to lose my original 30lb goal now I’ve revised my goal after maintaining briefly and am hoping to lose 10lb more this year. Slow and steady does win the race. I know for me with it taking so long the changes I was making became habit and are now part of my regular lifestyle. Tracking, weighing, and pursuing better fitness are normal for me now. I don’t care how long it took, I’m just glad it happened
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35lb in just over one year but now I seem to be just treading water. At least I'm on the right track & it will come off eventually.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Cheers to your success! !! You have a positive mindset!