Old and Broken

Options
I will be 60 on my next birthday. Until about 8 years ago I was very active. In younger years I fractured my back several times training horses. 8 years ago I fell on the ice and shattered my knee cap. Several surgeries later I have use of my leg again. This past spring I was at my highest weight 185. I have had to relearn what exercises my body would allow. It has been trial and error. Pushing through pain has been a challege. What motivators do others find helpful? I started out with weight loss, then build muscle, and now indurance. Do you think challenges help? Or signing up for walks or runs?

Replies

• Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you managed to get your knee fixed, Debra. About six years ago, at age 65, I fell over the steps into the garage, shattering my femur, tibia, and knee, which all healed nicely, but half the torn ligaments didn't heal so I've been walking with a cane ever since. I still do my rehab exercises and try to get a little bit of aerobic action by vacuuming every day. I hold the cane in my left hand and the upright vacuum in my right, so I have good enough support to go at a fairly fast clip. I have the cleanest house, these days! ;)

We aren't broken, Debra, we're just a little different than we once were. With you, being only 59, and in good repair, I would suggest doing something fun and social like Zumba classes or swimming at the Y.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I call myself "Old & Broken " in my profile but as a joke - I'm 67 & have had multiple injuries going back many, broken bone ,& surgeries including tib /fib bone grafts. I did not lift much for almost 2 years because of an auto accident & cervical injury in 2015. I'm lifting regularlynow 2-4 X week including squat & Deadlifts. The weights are lighter, but increasing -my squat is weak , but I'm doing it - my arms are getting bigger & my waist smaller. Start a weight program , maybe Starting Strength - just do what you can - and improve gradually - take it slow - you can do it- Eastcoast Jim
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think I had to become old and broken before I took my eating and moving serious at the age of 63. Now I am turning 67 next month with better health and health markers than in many years. The damage from arthritis is real but once I managed to reduce my pain by changing the way I ate I started started moving better with better balance being about 60 pounds light now. I have been walking and driving in the ice and snow for a week now without falling which is good.

An old man told me long ago that they did not bury people that wiggled some every day so I try to at least wiggle every day. :)

@Slowfaster your story is impressive.
  • fitandpainfree
    fitandpainfree Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are days when I feel "old and broken" too and I am only 54. I too have issues that prevent me from exercising a well as I would like, especially during pain flare-ups and when my shoulder hurts a lot. (I have chronic pain and a torn rotator cuff). Right now I am concentrating on my PT exercises and trying to add 15 minutes of cardio/movement at least 5 times a week. So far, so good. Not tracking the weight too seriously right now, but that'll be a goal for February. My January goal is to exercise daily, esp. the PT exercises and to log both food and exercise in an honest way. That's an eye opener at times... :)
    So, welcome and good luck.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 and still sticking with this journey as it can only make things better. Most have some physical or other problems as we get older but e need to adapt what we do suit or abilities. Logging your food and drink and moving more gradually will pay results albeit slower as we get older. Good luck I hope you find a way that helps you.