Sick of all the options!!

Options
I'm diet fatigued. Weight Watchers, Atkins, Paleo, Keto, 21 Day Fix, South Beach Body...the list goes on...

It's so confusing and overwhelming to figure out which diet is best. So I'm done, I'm done with the complications, the fees the weird "science".

I've been reading the forums and I've learned that weight loss boils down to calories in and calories out. So that's what I'm going to do. No bells and whistles. Just food.

I'm hoping to find some others like me, who are trying this on their own.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's 80 million others like you. More than 1% of the people on the planet get it. You see some of them every day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP is like diet heaven :D Welcome :)
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't even exercise. I try to get my 10,000 steps, but I'm losing weight either way. This is my second time doing MFP, and I'm much better about actually measuring things out than just eyeballing it. Pinterest has become my best friend for recipes, and the few I have tried from there, I've found in the food catalog! It really helps!
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the CICO lifestyle! :smiley: stick to your calorie budget consistently and enjoy the fat loss!!
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You finally figured it out. Congratulations, you are on your way to success. Weight lose or gain is just math. We have to reduce our intake with calories intake or activity by 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. It doesn't matter what you eat, only how much.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Start with eat less, move a bit more. Eat the amount MFP tells you to eat (not hundreds less unless you exercise a lot, then spend time looking at the calorie counts it gives you and do what makes sense). And see how it goes. It works for folks! Give it time and good luck.
  • TonyaMarie1231
    TonyaMarie1231 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm diet fatigued. Weight Watchers, Atkins, Paleo, Keto, 21 Day Fix, South Beach Body...the list goes on...

It's so confusing and overwhelming to figure out which diet is best. So I'm done, I'm done with the complications, the fees the weird "science".

I've been reading the forums and I've learned that weight loss boils down to calories in and calories out. So that's what I'm going to do. No bells and whistles. Just food.

I'm hoping to find some others like me, who are trying this on their own.

Yeah, the options are pretty ridiculous. It’s because people are impatient and they want something that works boom and be able to eat what you want. Your right it’s calories in calories out. That’s what I’m doing. I just do a little bit of everything and stay under my calorie goal. Plus this is something that I can add a few 100 calories back once I reach my goal and maintain it not go off the fancy diet and gain it all back.

I feel ya lol
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    javarob66 wrote: »
    I wish calories in/calories out were true. It would be so much easier to lose weight, and more importantly keep it off. Insulin, Insulin resistance, set point all are there to make sure that even if we do lose some, we just gain it right back. Folks like Dr Jason Fung, Dr Berg and several others explain all this very well. Sorry to go against the grain here, but I wish you all the best of luck in your weight loss journey(s).

Sometimes wishes come true. I've dropped almost 98lbs in 14 months, focusing primarily on calories, working to hit protein, and letting everything else fall where it falls (generally moderate carb, lower fat).

Set point theory has been debated on these threads before; I think here is the most recent one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10626170/set-point-theory. It just doesn't hold water. Fung is one source to avoid: https://nutritionasiknowit.com/blog/2016/1/13/nutrition-sources-you-should-avoid. Have to admit I haven't heard of Dr. Berg, but if you're lumping him with Fung, he's probably not a credible authority either.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wish calories in/calories out were true. It would be so much easier to lose weight, and more importantly keep it off. Insulin, Insulin resistance, set point all are there to make sure that even if we do lose some, we just gain it right back. Folks like Dr Jason Fung, Dr Berg and several others explain all this very well. Sorry to go against the grain here, but I wish you all the best of luck in your weight loss journey(s).

It is true. It's science. Set points aren't a thing. Fung is full of broscience.
  • stephanierae07
    stephanierae07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me! I’m down 18lbs since the end of October ‘17 and I have 17 more to my goal we got this!!!!!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    cico works for me.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Even after getting pregnant and having another child, I'm still over 30 lbs under what I weighed at my highest (and don't have the high blood pressure to go with it). I was 111-118 in my early 20s, and now 120-128 in my 30s. Still a great weight for my 5'5 height. I figure if pregnancy couldn't get me to put on more than 23 lbs, I doubt I'm going to gain the 40 lbs back just because some doctors say I will. People need to take responsibility and keep working to maintain a proper weight through a balance of intake control and movement. It's not some fad diet, it's a lifestyle change to keep using going forward.