Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

accuracy of calories might be attributing to people not losi

I notice many of the foods are member added, with no or only 1 or two confirmations. I think you really have to watch for these little commens and make sure that the food you are adding on your diary is adding the correct calorie content.
Especially for those who are really trying but don't seeem to be getting results maybe this is the problem.?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    I notice many of the foods are member added, with no or only 1 or two confirmations. I think you really have to watch for these little commens and make sure that the food you are adding on your diary is adding the correct calorie content.
    Especially for those who are really trying but don't seeem to be getting results maybe this is the problem.?

I totally agree! I've seen many items with just the calories listed and no other nutrients. Whenever possible, I always compare the database entry to the nutrition label if it's available. Otherwise, I will search the internet for the correct data (or as close as possible) and add it myself.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    I think that is quite possible. I've eaten somethings and corrected the calorie content based on the package that was in my hand. That is something to watch for. Make sure its EXACTLY the same item. Good point!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    not only that but also the calories burned for some of the exercises are big difference from a heart rate monitor, or what the equipment says calories burned.. i have noticed on my exercise bike that i am half of what mfp says i burn.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    I got a calorie intake monitor for just that reason. They are pretty off.
  • I agree. Also, be sure to measure your food. It is easy to guess what a cup of rice or a 3 ounce piece of chicken looks like, but unless you have mastered the "measure by eye" approach...and spot-check periodically...you (we) all would benefit by measuring each food.
  • That's true. If i have the package i verify
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    not only that but also the calories burned for some of the exercises are big difference from a heart rate monitor, or what the equipment says calories burned.. i have noticed on my exercise bike that i am half of what mfp says i burn.

I agree - I always defer to the readout on my treadmill since the MFP allowances are so far off (way too hight).
  • On Friday I had a grilled cheese for lunch. I added in the sandwhich in my "Lunch" piece by piece rather that using the 'generic' one on the system. Even with PC Blue Menu cheese and 64% less fat Becel, my sandwich was SIGNIFICANTLY higher in calories ... that was my wake up call!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 430 Member
    I like to keep a "buffer zone" of about 200 calories to make sure I am not going over my calories or overestimating my workout calories burned. It's been working great so far!
  • I started weighing my food, too if it's not possible to measure. Makes a BIG TIME difference!! I agree that "eyeing" your portions is very inaccurate.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    This is a good tip. I always double check something the first time I eat it.