Tips for Toning Up

Options
Hi everyone!

My apologies if this in the wrong category. I’ve been wanting to tone up and was wondering if you all had any tips. Specifically, I want to work on my core, my abs, and lift my booty (while keeping it soft, if possible).

I’m 5’4” and 142 lbs. My current suggested caloric intake on MFP is 1510. I really just want to be the best and healthiest version of myself possible.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    1. Slight calorie deficit (which it sounds like you are already doing).
    2. Strength training
    3. Adequate protein
    4. Some cardio if you would like
    5. Patience

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

For #2.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Basically, the same as above.

Lose weight/BF and lift weight/exercise to develop strength and fitness.

That's all I did to "tone up."

it just takes time, discipline, diligence and patience. Easier said than done.

Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There's nothing like strength training for muscle 'toning' imo, within a few months you will see everything firming up nicely :smile:
  • breyannamikel93
    breyannamikel93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I started strength training this week and it was definitely daunting lol. Thank you for the suggestions and the link to the strength training.

Patience is definitely the key word lol. I feel the difference in my body and I keep trying to rush seeing the difference.
  • Havanaohlala
    Havanaohlala Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    [quoted link removed by MFP mod]

Running is good and yes, it can help lose weight or even tone, but only to some extend. I know runners with very flat bottoms. Not saying that it doesnt build nice legs etc, but with running only you are at a greater risk of injury, must lose a lot more weight to get that "hard", formed, toned look and even with the greatest genes your butt will lose volume. Running is also not that best thing for boobs, it can make them looser, if you know what I mean. :D So it must be mixed with strength exercises to prevent unwanted form loss.

With strength training (bodyweight, light or heavier weights) acheaving a toned body is more effective, easier and you can be at heigher weight, but look athletic/toned.

As for toning up actually the most important thing is losing fat. The second is doing strength training in a fashion that suits your goals (amount of muscle you wanna gain, where do you wanna gain etc).