daily or weekly calorie totals?

Options
I don't klnow what to aim for... I find it difficult to stik to my calories on the weekend, well actually Fri to Sun, going out for dinner or drinks and also having a nice lunch with colleagues on Fridays.

So how does everyone else deal with it?

I find it relatively easy be good during the week, apart from not snacking too much in the office. but I usually eat a good breakfast, low cal lunch so that I can have a nice dinner and snacks or glass of wine in the evenings. I eat most of my exercise calories, but I should probably save some for the weekend.

Do you guys save up calories so that you can get over on the weekends or nights out? I don't want all this dieting to impact on my social life too much.
I'm not really in this for a complete lifestyle change, I need to get a few kilos off that I put on while not exercising for almost a year. I do eat reasonably healthy and mainly exercise to be able to afford my sweet tooth and to be reasonably fit.
I've not lost anything yet, so any tips on how to get through birthdays, work-dos and such without sipping on just water are welcome.

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Calorie alowance is per day sp saving them up for the weekend is not oan option.

I know some people zig zag though.

I spent the whole of 2010 being good in thw week but bad at weekends, I gained half a stone this way!!!

For I really did need to make that lifestyle change to my weekends as opposed to finding a way to "fit in" all I wanted to eat and drink.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Calorie alowance is per day sp saving them up for the weekend is not oan option.

I spent the whole of 2010 being good in thw week but bad at weekends, I gained half a stone this way!!!

For I really did need to make that lifestyle change to my weekends as opposed to finding a way to "fit in" all I wanted to eat and drink.

then it would appear you were really really bad at the weekends or perhaps not as good as you thought through the week :-)
  • AleksAas
    AleksAas Posts: 13
    Options
    I've found that eating back my exercise calories prevents or really slows down my weight-loss. I actually gained weight when "running up dinner"! You should aim for daily goals (in my experience you get faster results doing so).

Going out with friends is kinda hard. Especially if you don't want to make a fuss about what you are working on. I'd suggest simply cutting back on evening drinks when partying.

As for birthdays and events I simply cut back a lot on the unhealthy stuff. Grab the "best" option and have a small taste of it. I got a really sweet cake on my own birthday, usually I'd go balls out and eat 5-6 servings, but limiting myself to 1 and a few bites the cake didn't impact my weigh-in as I saved up for it during the day. A "cheat" day every now and then isn't to bad, just make sure it doesn't become a habit like several days a week or the whole weekend.

Loosing weight is a trade-off, sacrifice something to achieve your goals. The more you work and sacrifice at it the faster you should see results! Remember: once you reach the goal you can indulge yourself a bit more than when you are trying to drop :)
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to let dieting ruin your weekends?
    I've been on it since the new year and still regularly eat out, and have drinks with mates etc.

You just need to
    - be more careful with what you consume when you're out (pick the best option at meals, drink low calorie mixers with spirits)
    - know that you're going out in the evening so make even smarter low-cal choices during the day to help balance it out
    - exercise at the weekends to help offset it...
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

it wa sa bit of both.

I certianly was not as "good" as i though during the week - it was mainly portion sizes though and not eating junk.

Weekends I was awful. I'd have 2 or 3 bottles of wine, huge dinners Fri / Sat / Sun plus desserts, snacks after dinner, I'd polish off the leftovers etc...

I was a complete pig to be honest and HAD to nip that in the bud.

The good news is that I have changed my eating habits, lost weight and am still able to have a little of what I like!

then it would appear you were really really bad at the weekends or perhaps not as good as you thought through the week :-)
  • joi1407
    joi1407 Posts: 79
    Options
    hmmm, I don't know, I don't eat huge portions and eat sort of healthy. My downfall were chocolate bars, I guess, before I counted I easily had a good meal worth of calories most days, just munching my way through during the day.

So I guess, I have to make sure I make good choices when out and try to exercise enough to make up for it. I'm just dreading one day next week, lunch with a group of colleagues and ex colleagues, which will be thai or something like that and then my friend's birthday in the eve, agian, dinner and drinks with a group... ooohhh i better cycle in the morning then i guess.
  • Atrox
    Atrox Posts: 59
    Options
    A running total of your calories in and exercise on the home page would allow you to easily track this. People have been asking for this feature for years, but no word from the developer at all.
  • joi1407
    Options
    that would be great, or at least a weekly one. I do that on excel myself now to keep track and to plan as well.
    Even if it doesn't really work the way that you can "save" calories, i think it still makes sense to save a few over the week if you know you're having a heavy weekend or day with no exercise and meal out.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I do that to a point. I don't go crazy on weekends, but I tend to eat better during the week mostly because I'm only cooking for myself and can better control the ingredients. On weekends I go out for dinner with friends and family. Just because you're eating out though does not mean your calories need to be off the charts. I just order a big salad with grilled fish or chicken and the dressing on the side or a salad appetizer and grilled fish with steamed vegetables as my main course. I've also stopped drinking during the week (I used to have a glass of wine every night). I now limit myself to two drinks a week, so I usually save them for the weekend or a special occasion.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't klnow what to aim for... I find it difficult to stik to my calories on the weekend, well actually Fri to Sun, going out for dinner or drinks and also having a nice lunch with colleagues on Fridays.

So how does everyone else deal with it?

I find it relatively easy be good during the week, apart from not snacking too much in the office. but I usually eat a good breakfast, low cal lunch so that I can have a nice dinner and snacks or glass of wine in the evenings. I eat most of my exercise calories, but I should probably save some for the weekend.

Do you guys save up calories so that you can get over on the weekends or nights out? I don't want all this dieting to impact on my social life too much.
    I'm not really in this for a complete lifestyle change, I need to get a few kilos off that I put on while not exercising for almost a year. I do eat reasonably healthy and mainly exercise to be able to afford my sweet tooth and to be reasonably fit.
    I've not lost anything yet, so any tips on how to get through birthdays, work-dos and such without sipping on just water are welcome.

unless you jump into this for the lifestyle change youre just kidding yourself. bad foods are bad for your body.
  • joi1407
    Options
    But as I said, I do eat healthily and I just want to lose the weight I gained during a time where I wasn't able to exercise.
    Before, I maintained my weight for a good four years, doing lots of exercise and eating well. Yes, I love my chocolate, but if I cycle to 20k a day, that is not a problem.
    I just want to get back to that and maybe get a bit leaner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But as I said, I do eat healthily and I just want to lose the weight I gained during a time where I wasn't able to exercise.
    Before, I maintained my weight for a good four years, doing lots of exercise and eating well. Yes, I love my chocolate, but if I cycle to 20k a day, that is not a problem.
    I just want to get back to that and maybe get a bit leaner.

if this is how you feel then you have to sacrifice something for a while to get back to the shape you were...

your current lifestyle keeps you the weight that you are... theres no magic trick to lose weight apart from eat less & exercise more!
  • joi1407
    Options
    I know what I have to do to lose weight and I am working on exactly the getting back into exercise and eating less.

However, my original question was if it is ok to "save up2 calories for the weekend or say, a work lunch or something. So for example, I know that this week Sat, I'll meet friends for drinks and take away, if I eat a couple of 100 calories less than my allowance each day, can I "use" them on saturday? Or is the only way to go about it to exercise more on saturday, be easy on the breakfast and lunch?

Thanks