Can I lose weight by dieting alone?

Options
Hi guys :)

Can I lose weight by dieting alone? (like 20kg). Without doing any exercise.

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weight loss comes from consuming less calories than you burn. And in many cases, consuming less calories is the easiest way to lose weight.

But exercise has many benefits beyond weight loss/control that should not be overlooked. I highly recommend incorporating exercise (cardio & strength) for the plethora of fitness benefits.
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for your replies :)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You can, and many people do. It's alsocery possible that as you feel bettee from the weight loss, you might feel up to adding some exercises in here and there.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by just dieting alone, however, if you are not exercising, a percentage of the weight loss will also be muscle loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In theory, yes. In practice, it would have been impossible for me. Just too little food and I'd be hungry and unsatisfied... and forget maintaining the loss.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes. Weight loss relies on consuming fewer calories than you burn. You don’t need to exercise to do that. You just need to eat less.

But if you’re like me and you’re shorter, smaller, older and not active (aside from exercise), your calorie allowance may be quite meager and difficult to sustain. A bit of activity (even a short walk) can boost your calorie allowance enough to make it much more do-able.

• ToriOtsuki
    ToriOtsuki Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 41 lbs with no ADDITIONAL exercise. I do move around a lot, even though movement can be very painful currently. I started on a 1400 calorie diet with 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. But after 40lbs and a change in metabolism, that diet quit working for me and I became less mobile due to pain. (My hip needs to be replaced badly.) For me, the calorie deficit needed to lose weight without exercise became impossibly low to maintain without cheating. I have carb addiction issues that played upon the amount of carbs allowed which weakened my ability to resist. I have recently started on a keto diet to help with the carb and plateau issues but am very new so can not suggest whether it works or not.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

However, I've discovered from experience that I need to exercise to keep me focused on my calorie intake, if that makes sense. In other words, when I'm active I find it so much easier to stay in my calorie deficit. It seems a bit psychological. I think maybe it helps my mood and I tend to not want to comfort snack nearly as much.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

However, I've discovered from experience that I need to exercise to keep me focused on my calorie intake, if that makes sense. In other words, when I'm active I find it so much easier to stay in my calorie deficit. It seems a bit psychological. I think maybe it helps my mood and I tend to not want to comfort snack nearly as much.

Me exactly. When I'm just eating well, I lose steam. When I'm just going to the gym and not watching my food, I lose steam. when I'm doing both, I feel strong and put together and it makes it a lot easier to keep going, or find the motivation to continue on after one 'bad' day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You can, all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn.

For health reasons though any thing you can do is beneficial.

Even just an extra 10 minutes walking each day or some chair exercises.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yes, and to be honest, I lose weight more easily when I'm not exercising. I get hungrier and eat more when I lift or run a lot.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

Me exactly. When I'm just eating well, I lose steam. When I'm just going to the gym and not watching my food, I lose steam. when I'm doing both, I feel strong and put together and it makes it a lot easier to keep going, or find the motivation to continue on after one 'bad' day.

Same here.
  • wise_wind
    Options
    You can lose weight by just dieting alone, however, if you are not exercising, a percentage of the weight loss will also be muscle loss.

Is it okay if I exercise only once or twice in a week? Because I work long hours during weekdays and can't commit to exercise in the weekdays.
  • wise_wind
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys :)
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    wise_wind wrote: »

Is it okay if I exercise only once or twice in a week? Because I work long hours during weekdays and can't commit to exercise in the weekdays.

Yes. Everything is better than nothing tbh. However I would recomand going on a walk everyday. To me, getting a dog was the best thing I could do for my weight loss journey. I’m not saying you should get a dog, but I am saying you should try get in a bit more “sneaky” exercise. That can actually help a lot. Meaning you take the stairs and then go on an elevator. Instead of snacking more during a work break, walk around a bit to fill up your water bottle. Easy things that can be done but that do help a lot.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, but you may either need to lose very slowly or accept not having a good amount of calories to eat which can make you hungry. If you don't want to exercise, I highly recommend increasing your NEAT (non-exercise activity) like @Archcurl mentioned to get at least a few calories extra. You don't have to do everything at once, just introduce a subtle change to your activity every now and then. Here is a thread for ideas:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss