Realistic calorie goal

Options
How did you guys determine a realistic daily calorie goal? I’m looking for something other than MFP’s formula which seems too low. Did you use your TDEE? Thanks!

Replies

• missedout
    missedout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus 10/15%
  • shellbell1111
    shellbell1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies. I think I’m eating too many calories in days I don’t get much exercise.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 1200, I fluctuate anywhere between 980 and 1500. I keep it low based on how few calories I will probably eat once I'm at my goal weight, so this is basically me eating what I'm gonna eat in the future.
    At first it was hard, but I'm adjusted and I feel comfortable eating this way now.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I started (and if I lose quite a bit or have a major activity change) I recheck numbers in multiple places.

Of note, I override my MFP setting, I tend to land right between sedentary and lightly active so I set my daily cal manually to the in-between number. Then for weekends when I'm highly active, I log additional activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    How did you guys determine a realistic daily calorie goal? I’m looking for something other than MFP’s formula which seems too low. Did you use your TDEE? Thanks!

I've used both MFP and TDEE...when done properly and apples to apples comparison of rate of loss, they are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. The difference between the two methods are where you account for exercise...upfront with TDEE and on the back end with MFP when you log exercise and get additional calories to eat back to account for that activity.

With MFP, my calorie target was 1800 to lose 1 Lb per week...on average with exercise I was eating 2200-2300. When I switched to TDEE, the calculator I used gave me 2800 as maintenance calories...a 500 calorie cut to lose 1 Lb per week put me at 2300 calories per day...6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

That said, my exercise was somewhat variable in both intensity and duration...so with MFP, I averaged around 2200-2300 gross, I had days where I certainly ate less due to doing less and ate more due to doing more...with TDEE I had a steady target, so there were days when I would obviously be in a bigger deficit and days where I'd be in a smaller deficit...it just all netted out in the end.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your replies. I think I’m eating too many calories in days I don’t get much exercise.

But you said in your OP that MFP gave you too few calories?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I use the iifym calculator, and at least for me, it has been fairly accurate as long as I'm honest about my activity and workouts. I do a couple calculations to give myself a range (plus my daily activity level can change dramatically depending on the day of the week), and to figure out where "maintenance" is (approximately) so on super hungry days I can at least stay below that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I've used both, while losing, and in maintenance.
    MFP, with exercise calories added, I've used when my exercise has been erratic, TDEE I have used when my exercise is stable.
    If I do MFP or TDEE as sedentary the calories come out within 25-50 cals of each other (depending on off site TDEE calculator)

Also wondering about MFP giving you to few calories, but you think you are eating too much on days you don't exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been given the number 1420 as my daily caloric intake before exercise is added in, set to lose .5 pound per week. I am 60 years old, 5'8", female, with a sedentary activity level and currently weigh 160 pounds. I exercise daily and eat my exercise calories back.

I have been logging since November 1, and have made good progress and am happy with what I'm doing, and I feel good, and do not feel deprived. I've lost 7 pounds, with a goal of losing 5 more, and then maintaining.

My problem? Every so often I read a comment on here from someone stating that eating x number of calories is too low, our hair will start falling out, our nails will become brittle, and all sorts of bad things will happen to us. I disagree, but what do I know? The problem with me is that even though this is working for me, I start to think "well, maybe I should be eating more". And that's bad, because I do not need any excuse to eat more!

Are these just naysayers?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as you can that allows you to lose weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @walktalkdog, your cals sound fine, and I'm glad to hear you are eating back your exercise cals too.

What is being referred to is people who either choose to eat under the minimum recommended for adequate nutrition without doctor/RD supervision, or those who aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week when they have under 50lbs to lose.

No worries for you.

Cheers, h.
  • walktalkdog
    Options
    @walktalkdog, your cals sound fine, and I'm glad to hear you are eating back your exercise cals too.

What is being referred to is people who either choose to eat under the minimum recommended for adequate nutrition without doctor/RD supervision, or those who aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week when they have under 50lbs to lose.

No worries for you.

Cheers, h.

Thanks!
  • walktalkdog
    Options

No worries for you.

Cheers, h.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I have been given the number 1420 as my daily caloric intake before exercise is added in, set to lose .5 pound per week. I am 60 years old, 5'8", female, with a sedentary activity level and currently weigh 160 pounds. I exercise daily and eat my exercise calories back.

I have been logging since November 1, and have made good progress and am happy with what I'm doing, and I feel good, and do not feel deprived. I've lost 7 pounds, with a goal of losing 5 more, and then maintaining.

My problem? Every so often I read a comment on here from someone stating that eating x number of calories is too low, our hair will start falling out, our nails will become brittle, and all sorts of bad things will happen to us. I disagree, but what do I know? The problem with me is that even though this is working for me, I start to think "well, maybe I should be eating more". And that's bad, because I do not need any excuse to eat more!

Are these just naysayers?

Most of these are not in response to an older woman who is set to lose 0.5lbs a week and is coming quite close to achieving that.

Most of these are in response to the same woman trying to lose 2lbs a week, being given a goal of 1200 (cause MFP floor), not eating exercise calories back, thus eating 1200 less leaving a few on the table, so say, eating 1100... and then throwing a few Zumba classes and runs in for an extra exercise of 500 and netting 600 for the day.

Look familiar? If yes, yes, you should be eating more (and measuring it accurately)

Thanks! ("older woman" is what I am - still not liking how it sounds - lol!)
  • Dlebe161
    Dlebe161 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi following this thread . I am going away February 13 and would like to lose 10 pounds or so. I put my calorie bracket to be 1200, but I have heard in the past to not add ur exercise?